connection reset errors - Networking

This is a discussion on connection reset errors - Networking ; I have an application that runs on a Linux box - Fedora 6. It periodically produces information. Also have 3 other computers running Fedora 6 that periodically check for updated information on the first computer. One of the three is ...

  1. connection reset errors

    I have an application that runs on a Linux box - Fedora 6. It
    periodically produces information. Also have 3 other computers
    running Fedora 6 that periodically check for updated information on
    the first computer. One of the three is frequently getting timeout
    messages - connection reset when polling for new data.

    This is a new problem. THe same setup has worked flawlessly before.
    I odn't claim to know what hte cause is, but I have some suspcions
    that the issue is network traffic and/or firewall delays which occur
    on the network that this machine number 3 is on.

    I see there are lots of parameters that can be adjusted with sysctl.
    My question is which of these might give number 3 more time to
    complete its tasks?

    FYI what the 3 client computers do is to attempt an sftp transfer of
    a data file. If they are successful, they again (almost immediately)
    invoke sftp to rm that data file. I mention this because most of the
    timeout issues occur at this point. If there is no data file, they
    just sleep for 30 seconds and try to look for the data file again.
    They loop like this.

  2. Re: connection reset errors

    On Nov 8, 3:00*pm, dave64 wrote:
    > I have an application that runs on a Linux box - Fedora 6. * It
    > periodically produces information. * Also have 3 other computers
    > running Fedora 6 that periodically check for updated information on
    > the first computer. *One of the three is frequently getting timeout
    > messages - connection reset when polling for new data.

    Timeouts and connection resets are two completely different problems
    with completely different causes and solutions.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread