ftp problem - Networking

This is a discussion on ftp problem - Networking ; Hi I want to buy hosting at awardspace.com but I have a problem with access via ftp (in the passive mode, active did not work). Other ftp accounts working well. It is not possible to upload files larger than a ...

  1. ftp problem

    Hi

    I want to buy hosting at awardspace.com but I have a problem with access
    via ftp (in the passive mode, active did not work). Other ftp accounts
    working well. It is not possible to upload files larger than a few
    hundred bytes. When I try to send a larger file (for example, 11KB .txt)
    there is like a hang the FTP client (I tried various clients with the
    same effect). I have access to the Internet (ADSL), divided into two
    computers by computer from Leaf Bering v1.2.
    When direct access to the Internet - without a computer from Bering -
    ftp works well.
    Maybe this will help: http://pw2.republika.pl/b/view_system.htm

    Thank you
    Pawel

  2. Re: ftp problem

    p writes:

    > Hi
    >
    > I want to buy hosting at awardspace.com but I have a problem with
    > access via ftp (in the passive mode, active did not work). Other ftp
    > accounts working well. It is not possible to upload files larger than
    > a few hundred bytes. When I try to send a larger file (for example,
    > 11KB .txt) there is like a hang the FTP client (I tried various
    > clients with the same effect). I have access to the Internet (ADSL),
    > divided into two computers by computer from Leaf Bering v1.2.
    > When direct access to the Internet - without a computer from Bering -
    > ftp works well.
    > Maybe this will help: http://pw2.republika.pl/b/view_system.htm

    It sounds like the MTU might not be set correctly on your firewall.
    It might have to be decreased. What does ifconfig tell you about the
    ADSL interface?

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  3. Re: ftp problem

    Scott Hemphill wrote:
    > p writes:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I want to buy hosting at awardspace.com but I have a problem with
    >> access via ftp (in the passive mode, active did not work). Other ftp
    >> accounts working well. It is not possible to upload files larger than
    >> a few hundred bytes. When I try to send a larger file (for example,
    >> 11KB .txt) there is like a hang the FTP client (I tried various
    >> clients with the same effect). I have access to the Internet (ADSL),
    >> divided into two computers by computer from Leaf Bering v1.2.
    >> When direct access to the Internet - without a computer from Bering -
    >> ftp works well.
    >> Maybe this will help: http://pw2.republika.pl/b/view_system.htm

    > It sounds like the MTU might not be set correctly on your firewall.
    > It might have to be decreased. What does ifconfig tell you about the
    > ADSL interface?

    People frequently have MTU problems when they indiscriminately block all
    ICMP, too. MTU discovery requires ICMP to work.

  4. Re: ftp problem

    Allen Kistler pisze:
    > Scott Hemphill wrote:

    >> It sounds like the MTU might not be set correctly on your firewall.
    >> It might have to be decreased. What does ifconfig tell you about the
    >> ADSL interface?

    > People frequently have MTU problems when they indiscriminately block all
    > ICMP, too. MTU discovery requires ICMP to work.

    Please see:
    http://pw2.republika.pl/b/viewnet.htm
    This is it ?

    ifconfig: not found.

    Thank you
    Pawel

  5. Re: ftp problem

    p writes:

    > Allen Kistler pisze:
    >> Scott Hemphill wrote:

    >>> It sounds like the MTU might not be set correctly on your firewall.
    >>> It might have to be decreased. What does ifconfig tell you about the
    >>> ADSL interface?

    >> People frequently have MTU problems when they indiscriminately block
    >> all ICMP, too. MTU discovery requires ICMP to work.

    > Please see:
    > http://pw2.republika.pl/b/viewnet.htm
    > This is it ?
    >
    > ifconfig: not found.

    Oh, you don't have ifconfig. Try "ip addr".

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  6. Re: ftp problem

    Scott Hemphill pisze:

    > Oh, you don't have ifconfig. Try "ip addr".
    >
    > Scott

    I repair this. Thank you very much. I changed MTU on Windows computer -
    for 1452. I don't know what MTU was previously.

    ip addr return something like this:
    http://pw2.republika.pl/b/viewnet.htm
    in ::Interfaces:: section

    Thank you
    Pawel

  7. Re: ftp problem

    p writes:

    > Scott Hemphill pisze:
    >>
    >> Oh, you don't have ifconfig. Try "ip addr".
    >>
    >> Scott

    > I repair this. Thank you very much. I changed MTU on Windows computer
    > -
    > for 1452. I don't know what MTU was previously.
    >
    > ip addr return something like this:
    > http://pw2.republika.pl/b/viewnet.htm
    > in ::Interfaces:: section

    I'm glad that you've got it working. Of course, the correct place to
    fix this is on the firewall. You've got your Windows computer
    working, but if you connect another computer to your firewall, you
    could have the same problem.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  8. Re: ftp problem

    Scott Hemphill pisze:

    > I'm glad that you've got it working. Of course, the correct place to
    > fix this is on the firewall. You've got your Windows computer
    > working, but if you connect another computer to your firewall, you
    > could have the same problem.
    >
    > Scott

    What am I correct in firewall ?
    MTU 1492 ?
    MTU 16436 ?

  9. Re: ftp problem

    p wrote:
    > Scott Hemphill pisze:

    >> I'm glad that you've got it working. Of course, the correct place to
    >> fix this is on the firewall. You've got your Windows computer
    >> working, but if you connect another computer to your firewall, you
    >> could have the same problem.
    >>
    >> Scott

    > What am I correct in firewall ?
    > MTU 1492 ?
    > MTU 16436 ?

    Try "man iptables," search for TCPMSS, and read about the suggested
    "Workaround."

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* "PPPoE has many advantages for DSL service providers, and

  10. Re: ftp problem

    Clifford Kite pisze:

    > Try "man iptables," search for TCPMSS, and read about the suggested
    > "Workaround."

    It's too complicated. I stay with current state.

  11. Re: ftp problem

    p wrote:
    > Clifford Kite pisze:
    >
    >> Try "man iptables," search for TCPMSS, and read about the suggested
    >> "Workaround."

    > It's too complicated. I stay with current state.

    Also clamping the MSS only works for TCP. Clamping the MSS is
    considered a kludge. Enabling MTU discovery by not blocking ICMP is
    preferable and works for all protocols.

+ Reply to Thread