BIND -- can't register nameserver - Networking

This is a discussion on BIND -- can't register nameserver - Networking ; I am running Debian Linux on a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop. This host is named "jupiter", and is connected by Ethernet cable to the Internet through a Dell Truemobile 2300 Broadband Router (which does NAT) and from there to a ...

  1. BIND -- can't register nameserver

    I am running Debian Linux on a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop. This host
    is named "jupiter", and is connected by Ethernet cable to the Internet
    through a Dell Truemobile 2300 Broadband Router (which does NAT) and
    from there to a proprietary cable modem furnished by RCN (my ISP).

    I have a static IP address (207.237.37.110) from RCN, and the router
    is configured to always assign the IP address 192.168.2.2 to the host
    running BIND. Port forwarding is configured to forward all DNS
    traffic to 207.237.37.110 to the 192.168.2.2 host where BIND is
    running.

    I registered the domain "obliqueuniverse.org" with lunarpages.com
    (which is a reseller for OpenSRS Reseller Services (opensrs.net).

    I am building an Internet server on "jupiter" (which is configured as
    "jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org". When I try to add
    jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org under "Manage Name Servers" at
    https://manage.opensrs.net, the nameserver is rejected with the
    following advisory:

    "Unable to update nameservers:
    Nameserver doesn't exist at the
    registry."

    Although domain management is done through the OpenSRS web interface,
    OpenSRS disclaims all responsibility for any problems and questions.
    You can't get a live person on the phone. I consulted with tech
    support at Lunarpages, where I was told:

    1. They could *not* tell me how to *register* my nameserver
    2. I must be running a *dedicated* nameserver
    3. The nameserver's name must have the format: ns1.somedomaine

    According to http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html:

    "'ns' is a customary name for name-servers, but as with web servers
    who are customarily named www.something. The name may be anything."

    I have carefully read the relevant parts of "DNS & BIND" (O'Reilly),
    Linux System Administration (O'Reilly) but there is no hint that
    nameserver registration could be seriously problematic. I see in the
    archives of this discussion group that the problem has come up, and
    that inquiries should be directed to the registrar of the domain name,
    which is what I've done.

    I would very glad to hear any thoughts about how to proceed.

    Thanks & Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: BIND -- can't register nameserver

    Vwaju writes:

    > I registered the domain "obliqueuniverse.org" with lunarpages.com
    > (which is a reseller for OpenSRS Reseller Services (opensrs.net).
    >
    > I am building an Internet server on "jupiter" (which is configured as
    > "jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org". When I try to add
    > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org under "Manage Name Servers" at
    > https://manage.opensrs.net, the nameserver is rejected with the
    > following advisory:
    >
    > "Unable to update nameservers:
    > Nameserver doesn't exist at the
    > registry."

    Perhaps the problem is that it has to contact the name server to find
    the IP address of jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org and it has to contact
    jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org because it's the name server.

    Some/most (all?) people have DNS servers have canonical names outside
    of the domain.

    Amazon:
    amazon.com nameserver = pdns2.ultradns.net.
    amazon.com nameserver = pdns5.ultradns.info.
    amazon.com nameserver = pdns4.ultradns.org.
    amazon.com nameserver = pdns3.ultradns.org.
    amazon.com nameserver = pdns6.ultradns.co.uk.
    amazon.com nameserver = pdns1.ultradns.net.

    ebay:
    ebay.com nameserver = smf-dns1.ebaydns.com.
    ebay.com nameserver = sjc-dns1.ebaydns.com.
    ebay.com nameserver = sjc-dns2.ebaydns.com.
    ebay.com nameserver = smf-dns2.ebaydns.com.

    microsoft:
    microsoft.com nameserver = ns3.msft.net.
    microsoft.com nameserver = ns4.msft.net.
    microsoft.com nameserver = ns1.msft.net.
    microsoft.com nameserver = ns5.msft.net.
    microsoft.com nameserver = ns2.msft.net.

  3. Re: BIND -- can't register nameserver

    On Oct 29, 3:23*pm, Vwaju wrote:

    > I registered the domain "obliqueuniverse.org" with lunarpages.com
    > (which is a reseller for OpenSRS Reseller Services (opensrs.net).

    Okay.

    > I am building an Internet server on "jupiter" (which is configured as
    > "jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org". *When I try to add
    > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org under "Manage Name Servers" at
    > https://manage.opensrs.net, the nameserver is rejected with the
    > following advisory:
    >
    > "Unable to update nameservers:
    > Nameserver doesn't exist at the
    > registry."

    This means that you must register jupter.obligqueuniverse.org as a
    nameserver in the registry before you can list it as a nameserver for
    a domain. This is done to prevent loops and unresolvable dependencies.
    Walk the pages and you should be able to find a screen to register a
    nameserver inside the domain. You can then register it as the
    nameserver for the domain.

    > Although domain management is done through the OpenSRS web interface,
    > OpenSRS disclaims all responsibility for any problems and questions.
    > You can't get a live person on the phone. *I consulted with tech
    > support at Lunarpages, where I was told:
    >
    > 1. *They could *not* tell me how to *register* my nameserver

    There should be a page to register a nameserver inside a domain. Once
    that's done, you should be able to register that nameserver as the
    nameserver for that, or any, domain.

    > 2. *I must be running a *dedicated* nameserver
    > 3. *The nameserver's name must have the format: ns1.somedomaine

    Nonsense. I don't know why they told you those things.

    DS

  4. Re: BIND -- can't register nameserver

    On Oct 30, 6:26*am, David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 3:23*pm, Vwaju wrote:
    >

    > > "Unable to update nameservers:
    > > Nameserver doesn't exist at the
    > > registry."

    > This means that you must register jupter.obligqueuniverse.org as a
    > nameserver in the registry before you can list it as a nameserver for
    > a domain. This is done to prevent loops and unresolvable dependencies.
    > Walk the pages and you should be able to find a screen to register a
    > nameserver inside the domain. You can then register it as the
    > nameserver for the domain.
    >
    > > Although domain management is done through the OpenSRS web interface,
    > > OpenSRS disclaims all responsibility for any problems and questions.
    > > You can't get a live person on the phone. *I consulted with tech
    > > support at Lunarpages, where I was told:

    > > 1. *They could *not* tell me how to *register* my nameserver

    > There should be a page to register a nameserver inside a domain. Once
    > that's done, you should be able to register that nameserver as the
    > nameserver for that, or any, domain.
    >
    > > 2. *I must be running a *dedicated* nameserver
    > > 3. *The nameserver's name must have the format: ns1.somedomaine

    > Nonsense. I don't know why they told you those things.
    >
    > DS

    Hi, David --

    Yes, you are right.

    There is link below the fold on the "Manage Nameservers" page that
    says:

    "If you want to create or modify a nameserver which is based on
    obliqueuniverse.org click here."

    I should have seen this (but it didn't help that 2 different tech
    support guys at Lunarpages gave me the same bum steer).

    Here is a follow-up question, which I'm hoping you can clarify for me:

    Here are 2 advisories on the "Manage Nameservers" page:

    "24 - 48 hours after you submit a request for an additional name
    server, it will be in the rotation for authoritative lookups..."

    "The order of the nameservers is not relevant."

    I have configured BIND to make the nameserver running on
    jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org "type master" for obliqueuniverse.org, and
    the primary zone file lists jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org as SOA. . I
    don't have another host to run a slave server, so apparently I must
    use one of my ISP's nameserver's as backup server. The above advisory
    states that *all* the servers that I list are authoritative and are
    used "in rotation". But it seems that this would require that my
    ISP's nameserver (my backup) would have to be configured as slave for
    my zone.

    Is this correct?

    Many thanks to you (and to you, Maxwell) for taking time to bring me
    up to speed!

    Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  5. Re: BIND -- can't register nameserver

    On Oct 30, 7:36*am, Vwaju wrote:

    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > "24 - 48 hours after you submit a request for an additional name
    > server, it will be in the rotation for authoritative lookups..."

    Note that this is kind part order of magnitude, part worst case to
    keep you from complaining when nothing is wrong.

    > "The order of the nameservers is not relevant."

    Right, because almost everything sorts them anyway.

    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >
    > I have configured BIND to make the nameserver running on
    > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org "type master" for obliqueuniverse.org, and
    > the primary zone file lists jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org as SOA. *. I
    > don't have another host to run a slave server, so apparently I must
    > use one of my ISP's nameserver's as backup server. *The above advisory
    > states that *all* the servers that I list are authoritative and are
    > used "in rotation". *But it seems that this would require that my
    > ISP's nameserver (my backup) would have to be configured as slave for
    > my zone.

    Yes, you should definitely arrange with your ISP to configure several
    of their nameservers as slaves for your zone. You should also add NS
    records for those nameservers as soon as they're set up.

    > Is this correct?

    Yep.

    > Many thanks to you (and to you, Maxwell) for taking time to bring me
    > up to speed!

    You're welcome.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread