Exec Command sending a SMS - Networking

This is a discussion on Exec Command sending a SMS - Networking ; Hi, I manage some servers in a Farm- I wish to know if it's possible to exec some command using SMS- Example: I have to reboot a service or the server 'cause it's in crash. I don't have a pc. ...

  1. Exec Command sending a SMS

    Hi,
    I manage some servers in a Farm-
    I wish to know if it's possible to exec some command using SMS-
    Example:

    I have to reboot a service or the server 'cause it's in crash.
    I don't have a pc.
    I send an SMS to a specific number writng: "reboot server2 code:1234"

    the system recognize my auth code 1234 and reboot the server2

    It's possibile to do that?
    Which sw can do it?
    Any suggestions of names?

    Thanks a lot!!

  2. Re: Exec Command sending a SMS

    "Andrea" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I manage some servers in a Farm-
    > I wish to know if it's possible to exec some command using SMS-
    > Example:
    >
    > I have to reboot a service or the server 'cause it's in crash.
    > I don't have a pc.
    > I send an SMS to a specific number writng: "reboot server2 code:1234"
    >
    > the system recognize my auth code 1234 and reboot the server2
    >
    > It's possibile to do that?
    > Which sw can do it?
    > Any suggestions of names?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!!

    Are you for real? I don't see how this question applies to this group,
    but...

    First you would need an external gsm module to receive SMSs.
    This module would have to have the ability to transfer SMSs to the receiving
    PC and therefore to the receiving software running on that PC.
    If it was a "service" that failed on your server, Then the receiving
    software could restart the failing service (or you could just use the
    built-in mechanism of the service manager to restart the service if the
    service has shut down, thus removing the need for GSM equipment)
    If it was the "server machine" than hung, then you would have to have a
    piece of harware relay that would receive the SMS and physicaly remove the
    power from your server machine and then return it to make it reboot.

    J.

  3. Re: Exec Command sending a SMS

    Andrea wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I manage some servers in a Farm-
    >I wish to know if it's possible to exec some command using SMS-
    >Example:
    >
    >I have to reboot a service or the server 'cause it's in crash.
    >I don't have a pc.
    >I send an SMS to a specific number writng: "reboot server2 code:1234"
    >
    >the system recognize my auth code 1234 and reboot the server2
    >
    >It's possibile to do that?
    >Which sw can do it?
    >Any suggestions of names?
    >
    >Thanks a lot!!

    I may have misunderstood your request BUT:

    1) SMS From PC to Phone
    I don't know which country you are writing from BUT here, all (?) cell
    phones have an email address, ie.
    <10digitno@carrier.com>
    9876543210@txt.bellmobility.ca
    9876543210@pcs.rogers.com
    9876543210@vmobile.ca
    9876543210@msg.telus.com

    2) Phone To PC
    And, my cell phones, in the same domains as listed above accept an
    email address in the SMS destination field.

    So I:
    - Send an SMS to a reserved email address
    - I usually use some key word in the email to filter on
    - Use a utility to monitor the reserved email address (ie. fetchmail)
    - Retrieve the email and use procmail and a custom script to parse the
    email, and act on it if it meets the criteria.

    In #1 I have my computer alert me if a specific email has arrived or
    some preset condition has been met on my computer.

    In #2 I send a ham radio call sign from my phone, have my computer
    look it up then reply with the name, address and qualifications of the
    owner.

    I use these approachs regularly. Why? Because I can! :-)

    Good luck!

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

  4. Re: Exec Command sending a SMS

    "Doug Mitton" wrote in message
    > Andrea wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I manage some servers in a Farm-
    >>I wish to know if it's possible to exec some command using SMS-
    >>Example:
    >>
    >>I have to reboot a service or the server 'cause it's in crash.
    >>I don't have a pc.
    >>I send an SMS to a specific number writng: "reboot server2 code:1234"
    >>
    >>the system recognize my auth code 1234 and reboot the server2
    >>
    >>It's possibile to do that?
    >>Which sw can do it?
    >>Any suggestions of names?
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot!!

    > I may have misunderstood your request BUT:
    >
    > 1) SMS From PC to Phone
    > I don't know which country you are writing from BUT here, all (?) cell
    > phones have an email address, ie.
    > <10digitno@carrier.com>
    > 9876543210@txt.bellmobility.ca
    > 9876543210@pcs.rogers.com
    > 9876543210@vmobile.ca
    > 9876543210@msg.telus.com
    >
    > 2) Phone To PC
    > And, my cell phones, in the same domains as listed above accept an
    > email address in the SMS destination field.
    >
    > So I:
    > - Send an SMS to a reserved email address
    > - I usually use some key word in the email to filter on
    > - Use a utility to monitor the reserved email address (ie. fetchmail)
    > - Retrieve the email and use procmail and a custom script to parse the
    > email, and act on it if it meets the criteria.
    >
    > In #1 I have my computer alert me if a specific email has arrived or
    > some preset condition has been met on my computer.
    >
    > In #2 I send a ham radio call sign from my phone, have my computer
    > look it up then reply with the name, address and qualifications of the
    > owner.
    >
    > I use these approachs regularly. Why? Because I can! :-)
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    > SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

    Not happening in Europe
    As far as i know, in US, cell phones didn't support SMS messaging system
    until a few years ago, only emails?

    J.

  5. Re: Exec Command sending a SMS

    In article , Jozza wrote:
    > "Doug Mitton" wrote in message
    > > Andrea wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>I manage some servers in a Farm-
    > >>I wish to know if it's possible to exec some command using SMS-
    > >>Example:
    > >>
    > >>I have to reboot a service or the server 'cause it's in crash.
    > >>I don't have a pc.
    > >>I send an SMS to a specific number writng: "reboot server2 code:1234"
    > >>
    > >>the system recognize my auth code 1234 and reboot the server2
    > >>
    > >>It's possibile to do that?
    > >>Which sw can do it?
    > >>Any suggestions of names?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks a lot!!

    > > I may have misunderstood your request BUT:
    > >
    > > 1) SMS From PC to Phone
    > > I don't know which country you are writing from BUT here, all (?) cell
    > > phones have an email address, ie.
    > > <10digitno@carrier.com>
    > > 9876543210@txt.bellmobility.ca
    > > 9876543210@pcs.rogers.com
    > > 9876543210@vmobile.ca
    > > 9876543210@msg.telus.com

    This is probably an old list:

    Provider address
    ------------------------------------ -------------------------
    Alltel @message.alltel.com
    AT&T Wireless (now part of Cingular) @mmode.com
    Cingular @cingularme.com
    Metrocall @page.metrocall.com
    Nextel @messaging.nextel.com
    Sprint (PCS) @messaging.sprintpcs.com
    SunCom @tms.suncom.com
    T-Mobile (formerly Voicestream Wireless) @tmomail.net
    Verizon @vtext.com
    Virgin Mobile USA @vmobl.com
    VoiceStream @voicestream.net

    > Not happening in Europe

    Ask your provider (who'll probably say "use the web form") and Google.

    > As far as i know, in US, cell phones didn't support SMS messaging system
    > until a few years ago, only emails?

    Text went both ways, depending what you mean by "a few years ago". It's
    known as "text messaging" in the US, if that helps.

    Q: What did one photon say to the other photon?
    A: I'm sick and tired of your interference. -- thebigmike1983 on Fark

+ Reply to Thread