Web server and web domain - Networking

This is a discussion on Web server and web domain - Networking ; I am not sure where to put this question. A web server usually hosts many domains, ie "abcd.com", "123456.com" etc. When I ping "abcd.com" or "123456.com", it returns a single IP address. How does a web server indentifies which domain ...

  1. Web server and web domain

    I am not sure where to put this question.

    A web server usually hosts many domains, ie "abcd.com", "123456.com"
    etc.

    When I ping "abcd.com" or "123456.com", it returns a single IP
    address.

    How does a web server indentifies which domain to server ?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Web server and web domain

    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am not sure where to put this question.
    >
    > A web server usually hosts many domains, ie "abcd.com", "123456.com"
    > etc.
    >
    > When I ping "abcd.com" or "123456.com", it returns a single IP
    > address.
    >
    > How does a web server indentifies which domain to server ?

    Your browser sends the whole URL to the server.

    If the web service is configured for it, the service is smart enough to
    pull out the virtual server name and serve up only the content
    associated with that server name.

  3. Re: Web server and web domain

    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > A web server usually hosts many domains, ie "abcd.com", "123456.com"
    > etc.

    A webserver can host many domains; it may host only one.

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Your browser sends the whole URL to the server.

    That's not technically correct, but it's a good approximation. See
    #2 below.

    There are two ways that a webserver can identify which of potentially
    several websites it needs to serve.

    1. Each website might be assigned a unique IP address. The webserver can
    determine the target IP address and deliver content accordingly. This
    is required when negotiating SSL connections, as the webserver needs to
    know which certificate to send before the session can be sufficiently
    established to receive the Host header described in #2

    2. Along with the GET/POST/whatever verb and target URI path, the browser
    sends a "Host" header to identify the target host. This only works for
    HTTP/1.0 and greater, but I'm not aware of anything still using HTTP/0.9.

    GET /some/path/index.html HTTP/1.0
    Host: www.roaima.co.uk

    Chris

  4. Re: Web server and web domain

    Sorry for the repeated post.

    I sent in the morning, but the post did not appear even at 2PM. So I
    sent again.

    Thanks.

    sb5...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am not sure where to put this question.
    >
    > A web server usually hosts many domains, ie "abcd.com", "123456.com"
    > etc.
    >
    > When I ping "abcd.com" or "123456.com", it returns a single IP
    > address.
    >
    > How does a web server indentifies which domain to server ?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread