Two adapters, routing problems - Networking

This is a discussion on Two adapters, routing problems - Networking ; I have AT&T U-Verse as my provider at home, and their gateway device has a configuration where all incoming traffic can be directed at a system inside the network. The problem is that this system's IP address must be assigned ...

  1. Two adapters, routing problems

    I have AT&T U-Verse as my provider at home, and their gateway device
    has a configuration where all incoming traffic can be directed at a
    system inside the network. The problem is that this system's IP
    address must be assigned through DHCP and must be dynamic. But this
    makes it hard for systems inside the network to keep track of that
    address.

    Some services I want to make available externally, some I'd like to
    keep internal. (Apache I have bound to the external address, squid I
    have bound to the internal static address, etc..)

    So to fix this, I installed two adapters in the system, and they're
    configured like this in /etc/network/interfaces:

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    hwaddress ether 00:C0:4F:72:E1:FF
    address 192.168.1.13
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.254
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

    The routing table that comes up is now:

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
    0 eth0
    99.13.8.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.252.0 U 0 0
    0 eth1
    0.0.0.0 99.13.8.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    0 eth1
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    0 eth0

    Which seems fishy and doesn't work well. Connections from the outside
    are coming in just fine (on the 99.13.* address). However,
    connections originating on the internal network (like on the box
    itself) aren't able to connect to the outside world.

    What am I missing here?

  2. Re: Two adapters, routing problems

    Hello,

    clintp a écrit :

    > auto eth0
    > iface eth0 inet static
    > hwaddress ether 00:C0:4F:72:E1:FF
    > address 192.168.1.13
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > network 192.168.1.0
    > broadcast 192.168.1.255
    > gateway 192.168.1.254
    > auto eth1
    > iface eth1 inet dhcp

    You must not have multiple gateways or default routes. I believe the
    proper gateway is provided by DHCP on eth0. What is 192.168.1.254 ?

+ Reply to Thread