Cannot dig ip from dns name - Networking

This is a discussion on Cannot dig ip from dns name - Networking ; Hi, guys, I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail. The machine does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with dig can actually accessed via firefox or other browser. ...

  1. Cannot dig ip from dns name

    Hi, guys,

    I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail.
    The machine does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with
    dig can actually accessed via firefox or other browser.

    BTW, the machine I used is behind the gateway of our company, does this
    gateway cause the failure of dig command?

    Thank you for answer this question that confuse me for long time.

    Justin
    10/20

  2. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:09:56 +0800, Jking wrote:

    > I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail. The machine
    > does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with dig can
    > actually accessed via firefox or other browser.
    >
    > BTW, the machine I used is behind the gateway of our company, does this
    > gateway cause the failure of dig command?

    Yes, or No...

    > Thank you for answer this question that confuse me for long time.

    Does this problem relate to only 1 single hostname?

    How do you invoke dig?

    What's your content of /etc/resolv.conf?

    What's the actual output from dig?

    --
    Regards/mvh Joachim M忙land

    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    -Mario Andretti

  3. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:09:56 +0800, Jking wrote:

    > I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail.
    > The machine does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with
    > dig can actually accessed via firefox or other browser.

    Why do you think that the DNS administrator for that domain configured
    reverse lookup?

  4. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    Hello,

    Jking a 閏rit :

    > I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail.

    Can you elaborate a bit ?

    > The machine does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with
    > dig can actually accessed via firefox or other browser.

    Not necessarily. If the browser uses a proxy, then it does not need to
    do DNS lookups.

  5. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:43:06 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:09:56 +0800, Jking wrote:
    >
    >> I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail.
    >> The machine does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with
    >> dig can actually accessed via firefox or other browser.

    > Why do you think that the DNS administrator for that domain configured
    > reverse lookup?

    Sorry, I misread that.

  6. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    Sorry, please see the following supplement information:

    $cat /etc/resolv.conf

    domain ds.codeline.com
    search ds.codeline.com
    nameserver 10.193.143.1
    nameserver 129.188.1.1
    nameserver 129.188.2.2

    $dig www.google.com

    ;<<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.google.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.google.com. IN A

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION: com. 7867 IN SOA dns0.corp.codeline.com.
    dnssupport.codeline.com. 2000179475 3600 600 604800 14400

    ;; Query time: 32 msec
    ;; SERVER: 10.193.143.1#53(10.193.143.1)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Oct 20 23:01:51 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 102

    "Joachim M?land" 写入消息新闻:31dus5-av5.ln1@snila.linuxgutta.no...
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:09:56 +0800, Jking wrote:
    >
    >> I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail. The machine
    >> does connect to the dns server because the website I tried with dig can
    >> actually accessed via firefox or other browser.
    >>
    >> BTW, the machine I used is behind the gateway of our company, does this
    >> gateway cause the failure of dig command?

    > Yes, or No...
    >
    >> Thank you for answer this question that confuse me for long time.

    > Does this problem relate to only 1 single hostname?
    >
    > How do you invoke dig?
    >
    > What's your content of /etc/resolv.conf?
    >
    > What's the actual output from dig?
    >

    > --
    > Regards/mvh Joachim M?land
    >
    > If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    > -Mario Andretti

  7. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:17:59 +0800, Jking wrote:

    > nameserver 10.193.143.1
    > nameserver 129.188.1.1
    > nameserver 129.188.2.2

    Please give this a go:

    $ dig @129.188.1.1 www.google.com
    $ dig @129.188.2.2 www.google.com

    > $dig www.google.com

    [..]
    > ;; SERVER: 10.193.143.1#53(10.193.143.1) ;; WHEN: Mon Oct 20 23:01:51
    > 2008
    > ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 102

    10.193.143.1 is clearly not providing the answer...

    --
    Regards/mvh Joachim M忙land

    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    -Mario Andretti

  8. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    "Pascal Hambourg"
    ??????:gdi31m$2k5h$2@biggoron.nerim.net...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Jking a 閏rit :
    >>
    >> I try to use dig to acquire the ip of a dns name, but fail.

    > Can you elaborate a bit ?
    >
    >> The machine does connect to the dns server because the website I tried
    >> with dig can actually accessed via firefox or other browser.

    > Not necessarily. If the browser uses a proxy, then it does not need to do
    > DNS lookups.

    Yes, a proxy server on the LAN of the company provide the proxy to internet.
    But I doubt that the browser does not need to do dns lookup is an "always"
    or "may be" situation?

  9. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    I have tried, but the other two servers still do not provide the answer.
    "Joachim M?land" 写入消息新闻:djmus5-av5.ln1@snila.linuxgutta.no...
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:17:59 +0800, Jking wrote:
    >
    >> nameserver 10.193.143.1
    >> nameserver 129.188.1.1
    >> nameserver 129.188.2.2

    > Please give this a go:
    >
    > $ dig @129.188.1.1 www.google.com
    > $ dig @129.188.2.2 www.google.com
    >
    >> $dig www.google.com

    > [..]
    >> ;; SERVER: 10.193.143.1#53(10.193.143.1) ;; WHEN: Mon Oct 20 23:01:51
    >> 2008
    >> ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 102

    > 10.193.143.1 is clearly not providing the answer...
    >
    > --
    > Regards/mvh Joachim M?land
    >
    > If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    > -Mario Andretti

  10. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    Jking a 閏rit :

    > Yes, a proxy server on the LAN of the company provide the proxy to internet.
    > But I doubt that the browser does not need to do dns lookup is an "always"
    > or "may be" situation?

    I don't understand your last sentence. What do you mean ?

  11. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    Hmm, I am just not sure about that when a browser is set to access internet
    via proxy server, it always delegate the responsibility of dns lookup to
    proxy server, or may have other choice to look up dns name by itself?

    "Pascal Hambourg"
    ??????:gdk8a1$305c$2@biggoron.nerim.net...
    > Jking a 閏rit :
    >>
    >> Yes, a proxy server on the LAN of the company provide the proxy to
    >> internet.
    >> But I doubt that the browser does not need to do dns lookup is an
    >> "always" or "may be" situation?

    > I don't understand your last sentence. What do you mean ?

  12. Re: Cannot dig ip from dns name

    Jking a 閏rit :
    > Hmm, I am just not sure about that when a browser is set to access internet
    > via proxy server, it always delegate the responsibility of dns lookup to
    > proxy server,

    Yes, AFAIK.

    > or may have other choice to look up dns name by itself?

    AFAIK this would be useless, as the HTTP query sent to the proxy server
    contains the host name, not the IP address.

+ Reply to Thread