Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ? - Networking

This is a discussion on Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ? - Networking ; Hello I have a very complicated network transfer problem: I have a 20mbps / 2mbps internet connection. modem is connected to a linux router, then there's a WiFi router and on the end my PC. For testing i've used http ...

  1. Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ?

    Hello

    I have a very complicated network transfer problem:

    I have a 20mbps / 2mbps internet connection. modem is connected to a linux
    router, then there's a WiFi router
    and on the end my PC.
    For testing i've used http and ftp connections, http://noc.gts.pl/100mb.gts

    When i download this file on the linux router i hjave 2.2MB/s, when i
    download it from
    the router through WiFi onto my PC i have ~3MB/s
    But when i connect directly to the website i have only 0.8MB/s
    i've tried also downloading onto the router from I-net and downloading from
    the router onto my PC
    and i still had max speeds (2.2MB/s and ~3MB/s) so Hardware is no the limit.

    tc qdisc show gives me this:
    qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev eth0 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=20]
    qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev eth1 [Unknown qdisc, optlen=20]

    and IPtables are clean:

    http://wklejto.pl/11357

    Any ideas whats wrong?! I've also tried connecting:
    Without linux router (modem to WiFi router)
    Without WiFi router (UTP cable)

    And i still didn't get my 20mbps.
    By the process of elimination i think that the ISP is somehow limiting
    traffic to PCs behind router...
    How can this be fixed?

    Best regards

    RT

  2. Re: Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ?

    On Oct 19, 3:47 pm, "Roman Tatarowski" wrote:
    > [...]
    > And i still didn't get my 20mbps.
    > By the process of elimination i think that the ISP is somehow limiting
    > traffic to PCs behind router...

    Not very likely (though nothing's impossible :-)

    > How can this be fixed?

    Ask http://noc.gts.pl/ to get a better connection to the 'Net.

    The fastest you can download will be the slowest of your
    connection and the remote connection and further decreased by
    whatever network logjams are occurring between you and the
    remote connection.

    In other words, even if *your* connection is GigE (1000Mbps)
    but the remote end is on, say, a T1 line, the fastest possible
    download transfer speed you could see is 1.5Mbps.

  3. Re: Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ?

    > Not very likely (though nothing's impossible :-)
    >
    >> How can this be fixed?

    > Ask http://noc.gts.pl/ to get a better connection to the 'Net.
    >
    > The fastest you can download will be the slowest of your
    > connection and the remote connection and further decreased by
    > whatever network logjams are occurring between you and the
    > remote connection.
    >
    > In other words, even if *your* connection is GigE (1000Mbps)
    > but the remote end is on, say, a T1 line, the fastest possible
    > download transfer speed you could see is 1.5Mbps.

    Hm, maybe i wasn't clear, i've tested my connection and from noc.gts.pl
    i have 2.2 mega bytes / s, so its max of my 20mbps connection.

  4. Re: Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ?

    On Oct 19, 10:58 pm, "Roman Tatarowski" wrote:
    > [...]
    > Hm, maybe i wasn't clear, i've tested my connection and from
    > noc.gts.pl i have 2.2 mega bytes / s, so its max of my 20mbps
    > connection.

    OK, as best I could piece-together from your original
    description, the following seems to be the 6 tests you did:

    [WS] = website
    [M] = modem
    [R] = Router
    [WiFi] = WAP
    [PC] = PC

    1. [WS] -> [M] -> [R] 2.2 MB/S

    2. [R] -> [WiFi] -> [PC] 3 MB/S

    3. [WS] -> [M] -> [R] -> [WiFi] -> [PC] 0.8 MB/S

    4. [R] -----------> [PC] 2.2 MB/S

    5. [WS] -> [M] --------> [WiFi] -> [PC] (?slow?)

    6. [WS] -> [M] -> [R] -----------> [PC] (?slow?)

    Is the above diagram correct? What are the speeds
    for (5) and (6)?

    If so, note that (5) omits your primary router, so
    your original speculation the ISP messes with your
    router has no basis, especially considering (1).

    Can you connect to your modem and see its config?
    Assuming it's a cable modem, its IP (typically)
    should be 192.168.100.1 (like mine which is also
    at 20Mbps).

    Are the tests run multiple times to eliminate the
    possibility of heavy traffic affecting the results?

    Note: cable internet is a shared resource and you
    will be competing with probably 500 to 1000 other
    subscribers (check the subnet mask; mine is, for
    example, 255.255.254.0 == 512 nodes on this leg).

    From your description and the fact you downloaded the
    100MB file to your router, I'm inferring the router
    is a Linux box. What is the "ifconfig -a" showing
    both of the Ethernet interfaces?

    It looks like the only things common to the "slow"
    transfers are the remote web site and the modem in
    the above diagram.

  5. Re: Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ?

    > [WS] = website
    > [M] = modem
    > [R] = Router
    > [WiFi] = WAP
    > [PC] = PC
    >
    > 1. [WS] -> [M] -> [R] 2.2 MB/S
    >
    > 2. [R] -> [WiFi] -> [PC] 3 MB/S
    >
    > 3. [WS] -> [M] -> [R] -> [WiFi] -> [PC] 0.8 MB/S
    >
    > 4. [R] -----------> [PC] 2.2 MB/S
    >
    > 5. [WS] -> [M] --------> [WiFi] -> [PC] (?slow?)
    >
    > 6. [WS] -> [M] -> [R] -----------> [PC] (?slow?)
    >
    > Is the above diagram correct? What are the speeds
    > for (5) and (6)?

    Yes the diagram is correct. Apart from this WiFi is Linksys WRT54-GL with
    linux os (installed DD-WRT)
    speeds for 5 and 6 are the same as on step 3.: 0.8 MB/S

    > If so, note that (5) omits your primary router, so
    > your original speculation the ISP messes with your
    > router has no basis, especially considering (1).

    I meant that ISP is pessing with packets (ie. TTL = 1?)

    > Can you connect to your modem and see its config?
    > Assuming it's a cable modem, its IP (typically)
    > should be 192.168.100.1 (like mine which is also
    > at 20Mbps).

    192.168.100.1... address works, it's my cable modem, what should i look
    for?

    > Are the tests run multiple times to eliminate the
    > possibility of heavy traffic affecting the results?

    Of course, multiple times from multiple locations (+100mbps servers)
    everytime it's the same thing MAX (2.2MB/s) to router and ~0.8MB/s to PC

    > Note: cable internet is a shared resource and you
    > will be competing with probably 500 to 1000 other
    > subscribers (check the subnet mask; mine is, for
    > example, 255.255.254.0 == 512 nodes on this leg).

    It's not the case if i have 2.2MB/s to the router....

    > From your description and the fact you downloaded the
    > 100MB file to your router, I'm inferring the router
    > is a Linux box. What is the "ifconfig -a" showing
    > both of the Ethernet interfaces?

    Yes it's a linux box and both interfaces are present.

    > It looks like the only things common to the "slow"
    > transfers are the remote web site and the modem in
    > the above diagram.

    No, transfers from multiple locations and a modem always behind a router...
    I'll try to connect it directly today. Another common thing is the END-PC
    but i've also tried another PC with direct (LAN) connection to router...
    same story here, ~0.8MB/s

    It's really weird...

    Best regards

    RT

  6. Re: Very complicated network bw problem, ISP ?

    On Oct 20, 6:13 am, "Roman Tatarowski" wrote:
    > [...]
    > No, transfers from multiple locations and a modem always behind a router...
    > I'll try to connect it directly today. Another common thing is the END-PC
    > but i've also tried another PC with direct (LAN) connection to router...
    > same story here, ~0.8MB/s
    >
    > It's really weird...

    That's for sure. Any possibility of a nicked/kinked UTP cable?

    This might prove useful:

    as would reposting your query (feel welcome to use my diagram) in
    the comp.dcom.modems.cable group.

    I wish you success for a problem resolution.

+ Reply to Thread