Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients? - Networking

This is a discussion on Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients? - Networking ; Hello. I replaced my old Netgear RT311 router last night with an old Linksys BEFSX41 (latest firmware v1.52.15). However, I am having problems keeping my IRC programs staying connected. After about every five minutes, they get disconnected. The router's firewall ...

  1. Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

    Hello.

    I replaced my old Netgear RT311 router last night with an old Linksys
    BEFSX41 (latest firmware v1.52.15). However, I am having problems
    keeping my IRC programs staying connected. After about every five
    minutes, they get disconnected.

    The router's firewall log had these lines:
    2008-10-18 22:17:12 1586/TCP from [deleted IRC's IP address]:6667 to
    192.168.0.22:1586 Invalid TCP packet received, dropping packet
    Note: Changed 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.0.xxx so I didn't have to
    reconfigure the computers' IP addresses after swapping from an old
    Netgear RT311 router.

    From what I can see online with Google searches, this is a known issue
    since people seems to have this problem and no solution/fixes (even
    after five years or so? Wow!).

    I did notice a pattern. It seems like text based IRC clients (e.g.,
    BitchX) and IRC bots (info and chat types) get disconnected after about
    five minutes. With GUI clients (SeaMonkey, and Trillian Basic), I don't
    get disconnected.

    What's up with that and is there a way to fix this since I prefer text
    based clients? Thank you in advance.
    --
    "... Let's go pour these (peas from a can) onto an anthill I've found."
    --Strong Bad (Witness the Cheatar! episode)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

    On 10/19/2008 2:50 PM PT, Ant typed:

    > I did notice a pattern. It seems like text based IRC clients (e.g.,
    > BitchX) and IRC bots (info and chat types) get disconnected after about

    I forgot to mention ircii client as well for text based IRC clients.

    > five minutes. With GUI clients (SeaMonkey, and Trillian Basic), I don't
    > get disconnected.
    >
    > What's up with that and is there a way to fix this since I prefer text
    > based clients? Thank you in advance.

    --
    "An ant's nest could bring down a hill." --Japanese
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  3. Re: Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

    What about clients that do both a GUI and a text version, like Xchat?
    Sounds like a ping time-out to me. Too strict security settings? Maybe
    run a sniffer and compare what happens with GUIs vs. text clients and
    what is expected.

    --
    Freedom? [** America, The Police State **] Rights?
    http://www.hermes-press.com/police_state.htm

  4. Re: Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

    On 10/21/2008 2:59 AM PT, jayjwa typed:

    > What about clients that do both a GUI and a text version, like Xchat?
    > Sounds like a ping time-out to me. Too strict security settings? Maybe
    > run a sniffer and compare what happens with GUIs vs. text clients and
    > what is expected.

    Yes, according to other people and my tests, they were ping time outs. I
    am currently using ScrollZ and it does disconnect, but ScrollZ sucks
    compare to BitchX. .

    I don't know how to control the strict security settings on this router.
    I am mostly using default settings too!
    --
    "God is a mean kid sitting on an ant-hill with a magnifying glass, and
    I'm the ant." --Bruce Nolan (Bruce Almighty movie)
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  5. Re: Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

    On 10/19/2008 3:03 PM PT, Ant typed:

    >> I did notice a pattern. It seems like text based IRC clients (e.g.,
    >> BitchX) and IRC bots (info and chat types) get disconnected after about

    > I forgot to mention ircii client as well for text based IRC clients.

    Interesting. Irssi, ScrollZ, and WeeChat don't seem to have this problem
    like BitchX client and my IRC bots (e.g., SeeBorg). From what other
    people and I saw, my IRC connections get disconnected due to ping timeouts.

    Also, I tried port forwarded #113 (TCP and UDP) for that Debian/Linux
    box but it didn't fix it.
    --
    "The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the
    summer." --Proverbs 30:25 (Bible)