SMTP server to POP server - Networking

This is a discussion on SMTP server to POP server - Networking ; Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc. They are running 2 linux boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3. Do to a long complicated ...

  1. SMTP server to POP server

    Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
    just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc. They are running 2 linux
    boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3. Do to a long
    complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them. So when an
    @doe.com person sends email to another @doe.com person, i need the
    smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
    the local pop3 server box. How do I do that? Thanks.

  2. Re: SMTP server to POP server

    themamayada@gmail.com wrote:
    > Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
    > just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc. They are running 2 linux
    > boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3. Do to a long
    > complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them. So when an
    > @doe.com person sends email to another @doe.com person, i need the
    > smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
    > the local pop3 server box. How do I do that? Thanks.

    Well, your smtp server will have something in its configuration that
    tells it that doe.com is local; you will have to remove that something.

    Robert

  3. Re: SMTP server to POP server

    Am Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:06:35 +0100 schrieb Robert Harris:

    > themamayada@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
    >> just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc. They are running 2 linux
    >> boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3. Do to a long
    >> complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them. So when an
    >> @doe.com person sends email to another @doe.com person, i need the
    >> smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
    >> the local pop3 server box. How do I do that? Thanks.

    > Well, your smtp server will have something in its configuration that
    > tells it that doe.com is local; you will have to remove that something.
    >
    > Robert

    or alias the recipient

  4. Re: SMTP server to POP server

    themamayada@gmail.com wrote:
    > Jumped into an organization, have no idea how things are set up, I'm
    > just "ok" with linux/unix commands, etc. They are running 2 linux
    > boxes for mail - 1 for smtp, the other for pop3. Do to a long
    > complicated story, i need to sever the ties between them. So when an
    > @doe.com person sends email to another @doe.com person, i need the
    > smtp server to shoot it out to the internet first, not dump it into
    > the local pop3 server box. How do I do that? Thanks.

    The thing you want to stop doing is a sensible thing. Stopping it is
    not a sensible thing.

    If you really want to relay your internal mail though the Internet,
    you're going to have to find something on Internet that allows you to do
    relaying. Maybe your ISP will allow you to do it, but no one else
    should. If anyone else allows it, it's because they're misconfigured,
    in which case you really don't want to rely on them. I'd suggest not
    relying on them even if they are purposefully open.

+ Reply to Thread