Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physical port - Networking

This is a discussion on Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physical port - Networking ; I need to configure a large scale network. The network includes Layer 2 networks, with routers in between. There are two types of data source, each generates a different type of data. data. For security reasons, I would like to ...

  1. Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physical port

    I need to configure a large scale network.
    The network includes Layer 2 networks, with routers in between.
    There are two types of data source, each generates a different type of
    data. data.
    For security reasons, I would like to differentiate the traffics on
    the layer 3 level.
    I would like each of the of the sources to use a different layer 3
    subnet.
    The question is can I configure a router's port to carry two
    different

    Thanks,
    Jane

  2. Re: Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physical port

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:46:59 -0700 (PDT), Jane wrote:
    > I need to configure a large scale network.
    > The network includes Layer 2 networks, with routers in between.
    > There are two types of data source, each generates a different type of
    > data. data.
    > For security reasons, I would like to differentiate the traffics on
    > the layer 3 level.
    > I would like each of the of the sources to use a different layer 3
    > subnet.
    > The question is can I configure a router's port to carry two
    > different

    Two different... what?

  3. Re: Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physicalport

    John Oliver wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:46:59 -0700 (PDT), Jane wrote:
    >> I need to configure a large scale network.
    >> The network includes Layer 2 networks, with routers in between.
    >> There are two types of data source, each generates a different type of
    >> data. data.
    >> For security reasons, I would like to differentiate the traffics on
    >> the layer 3 level.
    >> I would like each of the of the sources to use a different layer 3
    >> subnet.
    >> The question is can I configure a router's port to carry two
    >> different

    > Two different... what?

    Probably subnets.

    The answer is maybe. They have to be non-overlapping, of course.
    But the features of the router depend on the router.

  4. Re: Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physicalport

    On Oct 13, 10:44*pm, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > John Oliver wrote:
    > > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:46:59 -0700 (PDT), Jane wrote:
    > >> I need to configure a large scale network.
    > >> The network includes Layer 2 networks, with routers in between.
    > >> There are two types of data source, each generates a different type of
    > >> data. data.
    > >> For security reasons, I would like to differentiate the traffics on
    > >> the layer 3 level.
    > >> I would like each of the of the sources to use a different layer 3
    > >> subnet.
    > >> The question is can I configure a router's port to carry two
    > >> different

    > > Two different... what?

    > Probably subnets.
    >
    > The answer is maybe. *They have to be non-overlapping, of course.
    > But the features of the router depend on the

    Thanks for the answer.
    Here is a sketch of the what I need.
    Can you tell what servers may support it, and/or where can I find any
    documentation of such configuration?

    host 1 - type A: -----------------
    IP 10.10.10.2 |
    subnet: 255.255.255.0 |
    L2 Switch --
    | |
    host 2 - type B: -----------------| |
    IP 20.20.20.3 |
    subnet: 255.255.255.0 |
    host 3 - type A: ----------------- |
    IP 10.10.11.3 | |
    subnet: 255.255.255.0 | |
    L2 Switch --

    host 2 - type B: -----------------|
    IP 20.20.21.3
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

    Thanks,
    Jane

  5. Re: Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physicalport

    Jane wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 10:44 pm, Allen Kistler wrote:
    >> John Oliver wrote:
    >>> Two different... what?

    >> Probably subnets.
    >>
    >> The answer is maybe. They have to be non-overlapping, of course.
    >> But the features of the router depend on the

    > Thanks for the answer.
    > Here is a sketch of the what I need.
    > Can you tell what servers may support it, and/or where can I find any
    > documentation of such configuration?
    >
    > [snip]

    It's not a question of the servers (or Linux or Windows or DOS or OS/400
    or whatever). It's a question of the network itself, independent of OS.

    Generally you'd put the different subnets on different vlans. That's a
    switch thing and a router thing, not a server thing or a Linux thing.
    You don't have to do it that way, but that's the usual way. There are
    reasons for it.

    Then you'd define multiple IP addresses on the router interfaces.
    Alternatively you'd trunk the switches into the router and define
    multiple virtual interfaces on the router.

    Again, none of that has anything to do with the servers and the OS. It
    depends solely on the capabilities of your switches and routers. If
    you're really designing a "large scale network," then you (specifically
    you) need to find someone (a local person, not a newsgroup) who knows
    your brand of switches and routers. At the very least you should ask
    your questions in comp.dcom.*, since that's where discussions on Cisco,
    Nortel/Motorola, Extreme, etc., take place.

    HTH

  6. Re: Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physicalport

    On Oct 13, 12:46*pm, Jane wrote:

    > I need to configure a large scale network.
    > The network includes Layer 2 networks, with routers in between.
    > There are two types of data source, each generates a different type of
    > data. data.
    > For security reasons, I would like to differentiate the traffics on
    > the layer 3 level.
    > I would like each of the of the sources to use a different layer 3
    > subnet.
    > The question is can I configure a router's port to carry two
    > different

    Layer 3 differentiation doesn't provide any security. Come up with a
    sensible design, ideally by employing someone with experience in
    designing large scale networks.

    DS

  7. Re: Configuring router with multiple subnetworks on same physicalport

    Am Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:46:59 -0700 schrieb Jane:

    > I would like each of the of the sources to use a different layer 3
    > subnet.
    > The question is can I configure a router's port to carry two
    > different
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jane

    vlan is a better choice