bad sector/blocks and files based on it - Networking

This is a discussion on bad sector/blocks and files based on it - Networking ; Hi, everyone: I found I hard disk have bas sector, i.e. sector 129668175 is bad, 1. I want to know, which file is based on the bad sector. 2. I want to know, a file is based on which sectors, ...

  1. bad sector/blocks and files based on it

    Hi, everyone:
    I found I hard disk have bas sector, i.e. sector 129668175 is
    bad,
    1. I want to know, which file is based on the bad sector.
    2. I want to know, a file is based on which sectors, like, .vimrc
    is start from sector A to sector B.
    I tried use ioctl(), but it seems too sophisticated. Thank you

  2. Re: bad sector/blocks and files based on it

    berlinix writes:

    > Hi, everyone:
    > I found I hard disk have bas sector, i.e. sector 129668175 is
    > bad,
    > 1. I want to know, which file is based on the bad sector.
    > 2. I want to know, a file is based on which sectors, like, .vimrc
    > is start from sector A to sector B.
    > I tried use ioctl(), but it seems too sophisticated. Thank you

    If you run fsck on an unmounted file system (DON'T DO THIS if the file
    system is mounted) files that can't be fixed are placed in the
    lost+found directory - usually you have to guess the name, as it bases
    the name on the inode value.

    I'm not sure that will help, but it can't hurt.
    (The Unix file system is not in a simple format.)

  3. Re: bad sector/blocks and files based on it

    Hello,

    berlinix a écrit :
    > Hi, everyone:
    > I found I hard disk have bas sector, i.e. sector 129668175 is
    > bad,
    > 1. I want to know, which file is based on the bad sector.
    > 2. I want to know, a file is based on which sectors, like, .vimrc
    > is start from sector A to sector B.

    What does this have to do with Linux networking ?
    Anyway, if the filesystem is ext2/ext3, debugfs may help.

+ Reply to Thread