how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr" - Networking

This is a discussion on how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr" - Networking ; Hi, everyone I made a huge mistake: rm /usr/bin -rf But I have no backup of the /usr/bin. How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)? Thank you !!...

  1. how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    Hi, everyone
    I made a huge mistake:
    rm /usr/bin -rf
    But I have no backup of the /usr/bin.
    How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)?
    Thank you !!

  2. Re: how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    berlinix wrote:

    > Hi, everyone
    > I made a huge mistake:
    > rm /usr/bin -rf
    > But I have no backup of the /usr/bin.
    > How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)?
    > Thank you !!

    Gratulations :-)

    If you do not have a backup you can only copy this directory from another machine (using a rescue system and eg scp) with the same disto installed or you can install the same system on another computer (or in additional partitions of the same system if enough disk space is available) and then copy /usr/bin back to your system.

    The next thing to do is to set up a backup ...

    Have a nice day
    Rainer

  3. Re: how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 23:26:08 -0700 (PDT), berlinix wrote:

    >Hi, everyone
    > I made a huge mistake:
    > rm /usr/bin -rf
    > But I have no backup of the /usr/bin.
    > How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)?
    > Thank you !!

    On the bright side, you still have single user mode That's good
    enough to restore /usr/bin from backup... No backup? Install exact
    same version OS on another machine, tarball /usr/bin and transfer to
    the box sans /usr/bin.

    And make a backup for next time you have a fat-finger moment )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  4. Re: how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    On Oct 7, 2:49*pm, Rainer Krienke wrote:
    > berlinix wrote:
    > > Hi, everyone
    > > * * I made a huge mistake:
    > > * * rm /usr/bin -rf
    > > * * But I have no backup of the /usr/bin.
    > > * * How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)?
    > > * * Thank you !!

    > Gratulations :-)
    >
    > If you do not have a backup you can only copy this directory from anothermachine (using a rescue system and eg scp) with the same disto installed or you can install the same system on another computer (or in additional partitions of the same system if enough disk space is available) and then copy/usr/bin back to your system.
    >
    > The next thing to do is to set up a backup ...
    >
    > Have a nice day
    > Rainer

    Thank you very much, but I have other problems.
    Becase the romate mechine's /usr/bin/ is deleted, so /usr/bin/scp does
    not exsist,
    when I use scp in localhost, it output:

    .... ...
    bash: scp: command not found
    lost connection

    What can I do? I do not have wget or yum, etc.

    Have a nice day :-)
    Berlinix

  5. Re: how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    berlinix writes:

    > Hi, everyone
    > I made a huge mistake:
    > rm /usr/bin -rf
    > But I have no backup of the /usr/bin.
    > How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)?
    > Thank you !!

    Hard to fix remotely. Is this the only option.
    Normally you can boot up from a recovery CD. Copy missing files over.
    Or you can re-install the distro as an update.

  6. Re: how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    berlinix wrote:

    > Thank you very much, but I have other problems.
    > Becase the romate mechine's /usr/bin/ is deleted, so /usr/bin/scp does
    > not exsist,
    > when I use scp in localhost, it output:
    >
    > ... ...
    > bash: scp: command not found

    Is there no one at this remote machine that could insert a rescue CD and start it? Else I think you have to copy the files on a CD/USB stick and go to the machine and copy them back to /usr/bin

    Rainer

  7. Re: how to rescue from "rm /usr/bin -fr"

    berlinix wrote:

    > Hi, everyone
    > I made a huge mistake:
    > rm /usr/bin -rf
    > But I have no backup of the /usr/bin.
    > How to rescue from this mistake (btw, this is a remote mechine)?
    > Thank you !!

    Does /bin/rpm still work ? Then you could try to get a list of damaged
    packages ( which had parts of it in /usr/bin) with the verify option and
    try to reinstall them with rpm.

+ Reply to Thread