pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2 - Networking

This is a discussion on pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2 - Networking ; Hi there ! I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2, to connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card does work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so ...

  1. pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2

    Hi there !

    I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2, to
    connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card does
    work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so the hardware seems OK. My system
    RedHat 7.2 includes pcmcia functions, and my file /etc/pcmcia/config does
    include a mention of said card :

    card "IBM 10/100 EtherJet CardBus"
    manfid 0x00a4, 0x0113
    bind "tulip_cb"

    device "tulip_cb"
    class "network" module "cb_enabler", "tulip-cb"

    However, nothing works. Thereafter, here are relevant lines appearing
    in my /var/log/messages :

    localhost pcmcia: cardmgr[815]: watching 2 sockets
    localhost pcmcia cardmgr[815]: watching 2 sockets
    localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
    localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x130-0x137
    0x3b8-0x3df 0x4d0-0x4d7
    localhost kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
    localhost pcmcia: done.
    localhost kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
    localhost cardmgr[816]: unsupported card in socket 1
    localhost rc: Starting pcmcia: succeeded
    localhost cardmgr[816]: product info: "IBM", "EtherJet PC Card", "Version
    U10", "Card Assy Part Number - 85H4801"
    localhost cardmgr[816]: manfid: 0x00a4, 0x003f, function: 6 (network)

    ping 192.168.1.1 gives "network unreachable. /sbin/ifconfig shows nothing
    more that the loopback

    Thanks in advance for any help in getting that EtherJet card to work on my
    system

  2. Re: pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking
    in article and in the Usenet
    newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup in article
    , Bernard wrote:

    [Please do not post the same article to multiple newsgroups.]

    >I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2,
    >to connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card
    >does work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so the hardware seems OK.
    >My system RedHat 7.2 includes pcmcia functions, and my file
    >/etc/pcmcia/config does include a mention of said card :

    Red Hat 7.2 is horribly obsolete - official support ended in 2003, and
    even the very limited back-port erratas were ended in May 2004. You
    _REALLY_ should not be connecting this box to the Internet, especially
    if you haven't installed the erratas - the release is seven years old!.

    >However, nothing works. Thereafter, here are relevant lines appearing
    >in my /var/log/messages :

    But I don't see it being configured. What is the content of
    /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

    [hubble ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING=yes
    FORWARD_IPV4=false
    HOSTNAME=hubble.phx.az.us
    DOMAINNAME=house.network
    GATEWAY=
    GATEWAYDEV=
    [hubble ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    IPADDR=192.168.1.117
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    [hubble ~]$

    (hubble was a 7.3 system years ago - your's should be similar. Note
    that the 'DOMAINNAME' is for NFS, and _not_ for basic networking.)

    >ping 192.168.1.1 gives "network unreachable. /sbin/ifconfig shows
    >nothing more that the loopback

    That's a good reason not to be working.

    >Thanks in advance for any help in getting that EtherJet card to work
    >on my system

    You should note that this card is labeled "Experimental" in the
    Hardware-HOWTO. It's not mentioned at all in the Ethernet-HOWTO.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread