pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2 - Networking

This is a discussion on pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2 - Networking ; Hi there ! I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2, to connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card does work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so ...

  1. pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2

    Hi there !

    I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2, to
    connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card does
    work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so the hardware seems OK. My system
    RedHat 7.2 includes pcmcia functions, and my file /etc/pcmcia/config does
    include a mention of said card :

    card "IBM 10/100 EtherJet CardBus"
    manfid 0x00a4, 0x0113
    bind "tulip_cb"

    device "tulip_cb"
    class "network" module "cb_enabler", "tulip-cb"

  2. Re: pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:12:46 +0200, Bernard wrote:

    > Hi there !
    >
    > I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2, to
    > connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card does
    > work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so the hardware seems OK. My system
    > RedHat 7.2 includes pcmcia functions, and my file /etc/pcmcia/config
    > does include a mention of said card :
    >
    > card "IBM 10/100 EtherJet CardBus"
    > manfid 0x00a4, 0x0113
    > bind "tulip_cb"
    >
    > device "tulip_cb"
    > class "network" module "cb_enabler", "tulip-cb"

    Have you tried a modern distro or at least the latest 2.4.xx kernel? 7.2
    hasn't been supported for many years. I suspect that you don't have a lot
    of RAM on that thing so you will need a lightweight distro like Puppy or
    DSL, Xbuntu might work also. Alternatively you could compile a kernel
    yourself. The latest 2.4.xx kernel will have much more recent drivers
    than the kernel in RH7.2

  3. Re: pcmcia EtherJet card problems in RedHat 7.2

    Le Sat, 04 Oct 2008 14:48:18 -0500, General Schvantzkopf a écrit*:

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:12:46 +0200, Bernard wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there !
    >>
    >> I am trying to get my old Thinkpad 600 running on Linux RedHat 7.2, to
    >> connect to the Internet via an IBM pcmcia EtherJet card. The card does
    >> work on MSWIN 98 on the same system, so the hardware seems OK. My system
    >> RedHat 7.2 includes pcmcia functions, and my file /etc/pcmcia/config
    >> does include a mention of said card :
    >>
    >> card "IBM 10/100 EtherJet CardBus"
    >> manfid 0x00a4, 0x0113
    >> bind "tulip_cb"
    >>
    >> device "tulip_cb"
    >> class "network" module "cb_enabler", "tulip-cb"

    > Have you tried a modern distro or at least the latest 2.4.xx kernel? 7.2
    > hasn't been supported for many years. I suspect that you don't have a lot
    > of RAM on that thing so you will need a lightweight distro like Puppy or
    > DSL, Xbuntu might work also. Alternatively you could compile a kernel
    > yourself. The latest 2.4.xx kernel will have much more recent drivers
    > than the kernel in RH7.2

    Thanks a lot for your reply, even though it is a matter of very old
    obsolete hard and software. I also have a more recent
    desktop machine, even though I must admit that I am wary about modern
    technology, especially about recent Serial ATA HD, having a very high rate
    of performances, but a very low reliability and life expectancy. My "new"
    desktop runs on Debian Sarge... which is also an old system. But my
    purpose for the time being is to make my old laptop capable of internet
    connexions. It used to be capable of that, using an internal modem which
    ran OK under Linux... at a speed of 55 Kbits. Such a speed used to be OK,
    but most modern websites are no longer compatible. In any case, my laptop
    is supposed to travel with me, while my desktop remains at home. Said
    laptop is supposed to connect to local hotel networks. True enough: I
    should think of buying a more recent laptop. Notwithstanding the fact that
    I have other budget priorities at this time, I must say that, according to
    my knowledge, the most recent laptops are, by a long shot, not as much
    "linux friendly" as their ancestors were... as far as apmd and else are
    concerned (sleep, fan managing and other concerns), which means that these
    computers are likely to have a life span of a much lesser duration than
    when run under MSWIN.

    So, I am in no way embarrassed in asking questions about such old hardware
    and software. My Thinkpad has been working under RedHat 7.2 for almost 10
    years, more than five hours a day during all that time, without failure of
    any kind... and I doubt that most more modern laptops may expect close
    results.

+ Reply to Thread