running a Linux-based web server from home LAN - Networking

This is a discussion on running a Linux-based web server from home LAN - Networking ; I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband Router.) Here is a quote from the Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband ...

  1. running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile
    2300 Wireless Broadband Router.)

    Here is a quote from the Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband
    Router documentation:

    "The Web-Based Configuration Tool is for advanced configuration of the
    Wireless Broadband Router.... This tool includes every basic and
    advanced configuration option for the Wireless Broadband Router. For
    instance, you can allow other Internet users to access a Web server
    hosted on your local private network, or disable your wireless
    network."

    I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool,
    and there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.

    I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed.

  2. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    Dnia Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:48:36 -0700, Vwaju napisał(a):

    > I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    > connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile 2300
    > Wireless Broadband Router.)
    >
    > Here is a quote from the Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband Router
    > documentation:
    >
    > "The Web-Based Configuration Tool is for advanced configuration of the
    > Wireless Broadband Router.... This tool includes every basic and
    > advanced configuration option for the Wireless Broadband Router. For
    > instance, you can allow other Internet users to access a Web server
    > hosted on your local private network, or disable your wireless network."
    >
    > I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool, and
    > there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed.

    Do you have web server running in your LAN?

    --
    Stone aka S1one

  3. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    On Oct 2, 10:55*am, Stone wrote:
    > Dnia Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:48:36 -0700, Vwaju napisa│(a):
    >

    > > I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    > > connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile 2300
    > > Wireless Broadband Router.)

    > > Here is a quote from the Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband Router
    > > documentation:

    > > "The Web-Based Configuration Tool is for advanced configuration of the
    > > Wireless Broadband Router.... *This tool includes every basic and
    > > advanced configuration option for the Wireless Broadband Router. *For
    > > instance, you can allow other Internet users to access a Web server
    > > hosted on your local private network, or disable your wireless network."

    > > I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool, and
    > > there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.

    > > I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed.

    > Do you have web server running in your LAN?
    >
    > --
    > Stone aka S1one

    It's not running yet. I'm in the middle of configuring BIND.

  4. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    Dnia Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:08:45 -0700, Vwaju napisał(a):

    > On Oct 2, 10:55┬*am, Stone wrote:
    >> Dnia Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:48:36 -0700, Vwaju napisał(a):
    >>

    >> > I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    >> > connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile
    >> > 2300 Wireless Broadband Router.)

    >> > Here is a quote from the Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband
    >> > Router documentation:

    >> > "The Web-Based Configuration Tool is for advanced configuration of
    >> > the Wireless Broadband Router.... ┬*This tool includes every basic and
    >> > advanced configuration option for the Wireless Broadband Router. ┬*For
    >> > instance, you can allow other Internet users to access a Web server
    >> > hosted on your local private network, or disable your wireless
    >> > network."

    >> > I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool,
    >> > and there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.

    >> > I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed.

    >> Do you have web server running in your LAN?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Stone aka S1one

    > It's not running yet. I'm in the middle of configuring BIND.

    You don't need dns server for run web server.
    All you need, is search in your router for option which will allow you to
    forward incoming traffic on port 80 to web server in your LAN. Sometimes
    it's called "Port forwarding" or "Virtal servers", probably you should
    serch in section called "LAN" or "NAT" or something like that.

    If you don't have static public IP, you should also think about some
    dyndns or something similar.

    Cheers

    --
    Stone aka S1one

  5. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    On Oct 2, 11:25*am, Stone wrote:
    > Dnia Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:08:45 -0700, Vwaju napisa│(a):
    >

    > > On Oct 2, 10:55*am, Stone wrote:
    > >> Dnia Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:48:36 -0700, Vwaju napisa│(a):

    > >> Do you have web server running in your LAN?

    > >> --
    > >> Stone aka S1one

    > > It's not running yet. I'm in the middle of configuring BIND.

    > You don't need dns server for run web server.
    > All you need, is search in your router for option which will allow you to
    > forward incoming traffic on port 80 to web server in your LAN. Sometimes
    > it's called "Port forwarding" or "Virtal servers", probably you should
    > serch in section called "LAN" or "NAT" or something like that.
    >
    > If you don't have static public IP, you should also think about some
    > dyndns or something similar.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > Stone aka S1one

    Thank you, Stone.

    I have to go do a job now, but I will try this when I come back.

    Best Regards, Vwaju

  6. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    Vwaju wrote:
    > I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    > connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile
    > 2300 Wireless Broadband Router.)

    Does the terms of service from your cable provider allow you to run a
    web server?

    > I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool,
    > and there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.

    You need to find the section that relates to port forwarding, and forward
    the necessary port (typically tcp/80) to the (internal) IP address of
    your web server.

    (If you already knew this, then you'll have to forgive me, but without
    any frame of reference from you as to what you have already tried,
    it's tricky to pitch a suggestion at the right level.)

    Chris

  7. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    On Oct 2, 12:06*pm, Chris Davies wrote:
    > Vwaju wrote:
    > > I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    > > connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile
    > > 2300 Wireless Broadband Router.)

    > Does the terms of service from your cable provider allow you to run a
    > web server?
    >
    > > I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool,
    > > and there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.

    > You need to find the section that relates to port forwarding, and forward
    > the necessary port (typically tcp/80) to the (internal) IP address of
    > your web server.
    >
    > (If you already knew this, then you'll have to forgive me, but without
    > any frame of reference from you as to what you have already tried,
    > it's tricky to pitch a suggestion at the right level.)
    >
    > Chris

    Your suggestion is helpful, Chris.
    I'll try this.
    Best Regards, Vwaju

  8. Re: running a Linux-based web server from home LAN

    Vwaju wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 12:06 pm, Chris Davies wrote:
    >> Vwaju wrote:
    >>> I want to run a Linux-based web server on my home LAN (which is
    >>> connected to the internet by cable modem through a Dell Truemobile
    >>> 2300 Wireless Broadband Router.)

    >> Does the terms of service from your cable provider allow you to run a
    >> web server?
    >>
    >>> I have studied all the options in the Web Based Configuration Tool,
    >>> and there is *no hint* as to how you would do this.

    >> You need to find the section that relates to port forwarding, and forward
    >> the necessary port (typically tcp/80) to the (internal) IP address of
    >> your web server.
    >>
    >> (If you already knew this, then you'll have to forgive me, but without
    >> any frame of reference from you as to what you have already tried,
    >> it's tricky to pitch a suggestion at the right level.)
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Your suggestion is helpful, Chris.
    > I'll try this.
    > Best Regards, Vwaju

    And be sure that you are running a substantial level of security. As
    soon as you open up your server to the world, the world will start
    trying to hack into it. That is why I gave up running a HTTP server
    from home and pay $10 a month to a commercial hosting company.

    JimR

+ Reply to Thread