maintenance after reboot - Networking

This is a discussion on maintenance after reboot - Networking ; Hi all, I've searched the Internet for a while now and asked this question several times before on various forums and haven't really had a good answer. Sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it. In any ...

  1. maintenance after reboot

    Hi all,

    I've searched the Internet for a while now and asked this question
    several times before on various forums and haven't really had a good
    answer. Sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it. In any
    case, I have one remote server at a datacenter, it's been there for
    several years now. Everything's working great, and SSH does the trick
    for remote admin for me. No issues. However, after it gets rebooted
    once in a while (for various reasons, it just went down once or twice
    for some reason that I'm still not sure of, there are absolutely no
    logs anywhere about an issue), it gets into the maintenance mode on
    boot, which means it hangs until someone puts in the root password.
    This annoys me greatly and causes a lot of inconvenience. It's not a
    vital machine, so I can live with it once in a while, but regardless.

    What is the recommended procedure for handling these things. Mostly,
    it's fsck. I already run the drives in RAID-1 over a dedicated riser
    card (3wave), and I use ext3 with journaling as the fs. People always
    seem to freak out when I ask how to disable this stupid maintenance
    mode and say I should never, ever disable it. But that leaves me with
    a catch-22.

    Thanks a lot and sorry if this has been covered before.

  2. Re: maintenance after reboot

    I know this is a networking group, not a linux admin group. But trying
    here as maybe someone will have some suggestions. Sorry for the off-
    topic.

  3. Re: maintenance after reboot

    mno writes:

    > Everything's working great, and SSH does the trick
    > for remote admin for me. No issues. However, after it gets rebooted
    > once in a while (for various reasons, it just went down once or twice
    > for some reason that I'm still not sure of, there are absolutely no
    > logs anywhere about an issue), it gets into the maintenance mode on
    > boot, which means it hangs until someone puts in the root password.

    I would think it is really important to look at the console and find
    out what happened.

    Sometimes people use a second computer to connect to a terminal port
    of the first computer, and make it the main console. That way you can
    see the consort remotely.

  4. Re: maintenance after reboot

    On Oct 2, 7:40*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > mno writes:
    > > Everything's working great, and SSH does the trick
    > > for remote admin for me. No issues. However, after it gets rebooted
    > > once in a while (for various reasons, it just went down once or twice
    > > for some reason that I'm still not sure of, there are absolutely no
    > > logs anywhere about an issue), it gets into the maintenance mode on
    > > boot, which means it hangs until someone puts in the root password.

    > I would think it is really important to look at the console and find
    > out what happened.
    >
    > Sometimes people use a second computer to connect to a terminal port
    > of the first computer, and make it the main console. That way you can
    > see the consort remotely.

    Sure, I understand that. My provider offers a KVP over IP option for
    an extra fee. But I guess my question would be more whether it is a
    good idea to prevent fsck check, or as people say on the forums it's
    better to leave it. In theory, if the server doesn't go down, then it
    doesn't really ever fsck anyways...

    Thanks!

  5. Re: maintenance after reboot

    On Oct 2, 7:51*am, mno wrote:
    [snip]

    > Sure, I understand that. My provider offers a KVP over IP option for
    > an extra fee. But I guess my question would be more whether it is a
    > good idea to prevent fsck check, or as people say on the forums it's
    > better to leave it. In theory, if the server doesn't go down, then it
    > doesn't really ever fsck anyways...
    >
    > Thanks!

    Er, KVM over IP

  6. Re: maintenance after reboot

    mno writes:

    > On Oct 2, 7:40*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    >> mno writes:
    >> > Everything's working great, and SSH does the trick
    >> > for remote admin for me. No issues. However, after it gets rebooted
    >> > once in a while (for various reasons, it just went down once or twice
    >> > for some reason that I'm still not sure of, there are absolutely no
    >> > logs anywhere about an issue), it gets into the maintenance mode on
    >> > boot, which means it hangs until someone puts in the root password.

    >> I would think it is really important to look at the console and find
    >> out what happened.
    >>
    >> Sometimes people use a second computer to connect to a terminal port
    >> of the first computer, and make it the main console. That way you can
    >> see the consort remotely.

    > Sure, I understand that. My provider offers a KVP over IP option for
    > an extra fee. But I guess my question would be more whether it is a
    > good idea to prevent fsck check, or as people say on the forums it's
    > better to leave it. In theory, if the server doesn't go down, then it
    > doesn't really ever fsck anyways...

    If it's getting fsck errors on these reboots with ext3, something is
    really weird and wrong. You need to pony up for the remote KVM
    facility until the next time it happens, so you can try to figure it
    out.

    Disabling the fsck is not a viable option -- if your file system is
    corrupt, it needs to be fixed.

  7. Re: maintenance after reboot

    mno wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 7:40 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    >> mno writes:
    >>> Everything's working great, and SSH does the trick
    >>> for remote admin for me. No issues. However, after it gets rebooted
    >>> once in a while (for various reasons, it just went down once or twice
    >>> for some reason that I'm still not sure of, there are absolutely no
    >>> logs anywhere about an issue), it gets into the maintenance mode on
    >>> boot, which means it hangs until someone puts in the root password.

    >> I would think it is really important to look at the console and find
    >> out what happened.
    >>
    >> Sometimes people use a second computer to connect to a terminal port
    >> of the first computer, and make it the main console. That way you can
    >> see the consort remotely.

    > Sure, I understand that. My provider offers a KVP over IP option for
    > an extra fee. But I guess my question would be more whether it is a
    > good idea to prevent fsck check, or as people say on the forums it's
    > better to leave it. In theory, if the server doesn't go down, then it
    > doesn't really ever fsck anyways...

    The only time fsck should prompt for a root password on boot is if there
    are so many errors that it thinks you should run it manually. If your
    server crashes (i.e., without closing files, etc.), then fixing disk
    errors is an especially good thing. If you're not using ext3 instead of
    ext2, then ext3 can help, although it won't solve everything.

    As another poster mentioned, if you had another server in the same
    place, you could set up each machine up to be the other's console.
    Basically it would be a couple null modem cables, some kernel
    parameters, and minicom. An IP terminal (for example a "lights out"
    board) provides more functionality, but you can decide if you want it or
    not.

  8. Re: maintenance after reboot

    mno wrote:
    > for remote admin for me. No issues. However, after it gets rebooted
    > once in a while (for various reasons, it just went down once or twice
    > for some reason that I'm still not sure of, there are absolutely no
    > logs anywhere about an issue), it gets into the maintenance mode on

    What does "after it gets rebooted" mean? If you mean it loses power
    abruptly or crashes, human intervention is normally required after an
    event like that. Otherwise, your server may serve incorrect data.

    You can certainly configure it to "try its best" and bring itself back
    up, but what if a critical file got corrupted? Do you want it to serve
    incorrectly, possibly compromising the privacy or security of the data
    it handles?

    DS

+ Reply to Thread