Rerouting to one computer - Networking

This is a discussion on Rerouting to one computer - Networking ; I have a wireless network, and one particular machine on it with a fixed IP addr. I want to plug another machine directly into this machine (bypassing the network) and give it a fixed IP, and have it communicate with ...

  1. Rerouting to one computer

    I have a wireless network, and one particular machine on it with a fixed
    IP addr. I want to plug another machine directly into this machine
    (bypassing the network) and give it a fixed IP, and have it communicate
    with other machines via its connection with the first machine. (All
    machines linux, of course.) Tried various things, but can't seem to get
    it going.

    --
    Ron House
    rhouse@smartchat.net.au

  2. Re: Rerouting to one computer

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:43:34 +1000, Ron House wrote:
    >I have a wireless network, and one particular machine on it with a fixed
    >IP addr. I want to plug another machine directly into this machine
    >(bypassing the network) and give it a fixed IP, and have it communicate
    >with other machines via its connection with the first machine. (All
    >machines linux, of course.) Tried various things, but can't seem to get
    >it going.

    google for "nat", 'network address translation'

    For web browsing, an easy method is to install a proxy like squid, and
    set the client machines' web browsers to use the squid machine's IP as it's proxy
    server.

  3. Re: Rerouting to one computer

    What type of cable are you using to connect the two machines?

    "Ron House" wrote in message
    >I have a wireless network, and one particular machine on it with a fixed IP
    >addr. I want to plug another machine directly into this machine (bypassing
    >the network) and give it a fixed IP, and have it communicate with other
    >machines via its connection with the first machine. (All machines linux, of
    >course.) Tried various things, but can't seem to get it going.
    >
    > --
    > Ron House
    > rhouse@smartchat.net.au

+ Reply to Thread