Setup avahi - Networking

This is a discussion on Setup avahi - Networking ; Hi, I'm working on a project. My goal is, if someone plug the network-cable into his client, it should find his server automatically. This means I have to write a X.service file into /etc/avahi/services/ on server. Questions: - As far ...

  1. Setup avahi

    Hi,
    I'm working on a project. My goal is, if someone plug the network-cable into
    his client, it should find his server automatically.

    This means I have to write a X.service file into /etc/avahi/services/ on
    server.
    Questions:
    - As far as I understand, avahi is not used for setting up IP-Adress, am I
    right? Or could I modify avahi-setting so it gives clients IP-Adress
    automatically?
    - Can I write any type into X.service? Or do I have to select a type of
    DNS-SD service? If yes, where is a list of services (so I can look which
    services fit best to my project)?
    - Do I need port? I think it's necessary for finding a server.
    - What should I do on clients in order to find the server automatically?
    Optional question:
    - Am I allowed to have 2 servers (with same port/service) so the clients
    find 2 servers.

    Thank you very much!
    cu Floh

  2. Re: Setup avahi

    Hi everybode, I think I answered my question myself:

    > Questions:
    > - As far as I understand, avahi is not used for setting up IP-Adress, am I
    > right? Or could I modify avahi-setting so it gives clients IP-Adress
    > automatically?

    avahi can set IP automatically with ARP (169.254.0.0/16).

    > - Can I write any type into X.service? Or do I have to select a type of
    > DNS-SD service? If yes, where is a list of services (so I can look which
    > services fit best to my project)?

    I was able to write any type of service. On the client-side the server with
    given type is found.

    > - Do I need port? I think it's necessary for finding a server.

    Answer is: no.

    > - What should I do on clients in order to find the server automatically?
    > Optional question:
    > - Am I allowed to have 2 servers (with same port/service) so the clients
    > find 2 servers.

    I didn't test but I tried with avahi-discover and it seems it's possible.

    Thank you very much!
    cu Floh

+ Reply to Thread