firewall outgoing mail - Networking

This is a discussion on firewall outgoing mail - Networking ; is it possible to add a fire wall that will stop a server from sending any outgoing mail, I'm having spam problems with my server, ( it is sending spam) i want to stop it from sending any mail at ...

  1. firewall outgoing mail

    is it possible to add a fire wall that will stop a server from sending
    any outgoing mail,
    I'm having spam problems with my server, ( it is sending spam) i want
    to stop it from sending any mail at all.

    I'm guessing that mail is sent to a fixed port number on other
    servers, so can i make a firewall to stop programs from sending data
    to a port on any remote server.

  2. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    elie writes:

    > is it possible to add a fire wall that will stop a server from sending
    > any outgoing mail,

    Sure. Block outgoing conections to the SMTP port - 25.

  3. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    is this right?

    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp --dport 25 -j DROP

    i only have a remote server so I don't want to firewall myself out of
    it, can someone help me.

  4. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    On Sep 29, 4:42 pm, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > elie writes:
    > > is it possible to add a fire wall that will stop a server from sending
    > > any outgoing mail,

    > Sure. Block outgoing conections to the SMTP port - 25.

    And port 587. Port 25, SMTP, = "transport", 587 is email injection.
    Many
    ISPs block port 25 now in a misguided attempt to stop spam.

  5. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    Thad Floryan wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 4:42 pm, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    >> elie writes:
    >>> is it possible to add a fire wall that will stop a server from sending
    >>> any outgoing mail,

    >> Sure. Block outgoing conections to the SMTP port - 25.

    > And port 587. Port 25, SMTP, = "transport", 587 is email injection.
    > Many
    > ISPs block port 25 now in a misguided attempt to stop spam.

    And tcp/465 for smtps. How long before ISPs block them all, I wonder?

  6. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    guys can someone verify that this is the right syntax

    iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp --dport 25 -j DROP

    I'm afraid to add it and have my remote server disappear from the
    internet.

    On Sep 29, 8:03*pm, elie wrote:
    > is this right?
    >
    > iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp --dport 25 -j DROP
    >
    > i only have a remote server so I don't want to firewall myself out of
    > it, can someone help me.

  7. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    elie wrote:
    > guys can someone verify that this is the right syntax
    >
    > iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp --dport 25 -j DROP
    >
    > I'm afraid to add it and have my remote server disappear from the
    > internet.
    >

    > On Sep 29, 8:03 pm, elie wrote:
    >> is this right?
    >>
    >> iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp --dport 25 -j DROP
    >>
    >> i only have a remote server so I don't want to firewall myself out of
    >> it, can someone help me.

    It is if you want to insert it as the first rule. Are you sure you
    don't want any outbound mail to go anywhere, though? That's what the
    rule will do. It won't make your servers inaccessible for management
    purposes, in any case.

  8. Re: firewall outgoing mail

    added, thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread