Encrypting routers - Networking

This is a discussion on Encrypting routers - Networking ; Good evening. I don't know if this is the right newsgroup but here goes I'm looking for some solution which can encrypt network traffic between two routers. It has to be transparent for any hosts outside respective router, and the ...

  1. Encrypting routers

    Good evening.

    I don't know if this is the right newsgroup but here goes

    I'm looking for some solution which can encrypt network traffic between two routers.

    It has to be transparent for any hosts outside respective router,
    and the routers themselves have to be small and preferably
    compatible with PCI-DSS enviroments.

    Someone tipped me of a custom solution with embedded linux and IPSec, but I'm unsure if that would hold up in a PCI-certification.

    Anyone have an idea?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Encrypting routers

    On Sep 29, 3:31*pm, andreas wrote:
    > Good evening.
    >
    > I don't know if this is the right newsgroup but here goes
    >
    > I'm looking for some solution which can encrypt network traffic between two routers.
    >
    > It has to be transparent for any hosts outside respective router,
    > and the routers themselves have to be small and preferably
    > compatible with PCI-DSS enviroments.
    >
    > Someone tipped me of a custom solution with embedded linux and IPSec, but
    > I'm unsure if that would hold up in a PCI-certification.
    >
    > Anyone have an idea?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Almost all mid-range and high-end routers can do this. Pretty much
    only low-end "home" and "SOHO" routers lack this capability. Look for
    words like "VPN" or "IPSec" in their feature lists.

    DS

  3. Re: Encrypting routers

    David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 3:31 pm, andreas wrote:
    >> Good evening.
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is the right newsgroup but here goes
    >>
    >> I'm looking for some solution which can encrypt network traffic between two routers.
    >>
    >> It has to be transparent for any hosts outside respective router,
    >> and the routers themselves have to be small and preferably
    >> compatible with PCI-DSS enviroments.
    >>
    >> Someone tipped me of a custom solution with embedded linux and IPSec, but
    >> I'm unsure if that would hold up in a PCI-certification.
    >>
    >> Anyone have an idea?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Almost all mid-range and high-end routers can do this. Pretty much
    > only low-end "home" and "SOHO" routers lack this capability. Look for
    > words like "VPN" or "IPSec" in their feature lists.
    >
    > DS

    As this is a Linux group, have a look at OpenVPN.
    You can Google for it.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  4. Re: Encrypting routers

    andreas wrote:

    > Good evening.
    >
    > I don't know if this is the right newsgroup but here goes
    >
    > I'm looking for some solution which can encrypt network traffic between
    > two routers.
    >
    > It has to be transparent for any hosts outside respective router,
    > and the routers themselves have to be small and preferably
    > compatible with PCI-DSS enviroments.
    >
    > Someone tipped me of a custom solution with embedded linux and IPSec, but
    > I'm unsure if that would hold up in a PCI-certification.
    >
    > Anyone have an idea?

    Basically you talk about VPNs and vpnrouters. Google or ebay for them

    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread