Is there an Anti-Virus Proxy like system? - Networking

This is a discussion on Is there an Anti-Virus Proxy like system? - Networking ; Basically, I thought of this idea, because I have some Windows machines on my network, especially those for other family members. I like the AVG tooldbar in Firefox for example can often block you from sites that are known to ...

  1. Is there an Anti-Virus Proxy like system?

    Basically, I thought of this idea, because I have some Windows
    machines on my network, especially those for other family members. I
    like the AVG tooldbar in Firefox for example can often block you from
    sites that are known to be bad for viruses, but it stopped working on
    Firefox 3 and I like Firefox 3 way better than 2.x.

    Is there any type of anti-virus proxy, such as HAVP, unless someone
    knows of any better or different ones that may also work (I'm saying
    that because HAVP seems to be the only one I found) that I can make a
    transparent proxy or if not a regular proxy that would hopefully block
    people from going to sites, block at least the viruses parts of sites,
    and hopefully stop virus infected downloads.

    Or would the be a bad idea because often times I'm downloading huge
    Linux ISOs DVD and CD?

  2. Re: Is there an Anti-Virus Proxy like system?

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:24:45 -0700, RedPenguin passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Basically, I thought of this idea, because I have some Windows machines
    > on my network, especially those for other family members. I like the AVG
    > tooldbar in Firefox for example can often block you from sites that are
    > known to be bad for viruses, but it stopped working on Firefox 3 and I
    > like Firefox 3 way better than 2.x.
    >
    > Is there any type of anti-virus proxy, such as HAVP, unless someone
    > knows of any better or different ones that may also work (I'm saying
    > that because HAVP seems to be the only one I found) that I can make a
    > transparent proxy or if not a regular proxy that would hopefully block
    > people from going to sites, block at least the viruses parts of sites,
    > and hopefully stop virus infected downloads.
    >
    > Or would the be a bad idea because often times I'm downloading huge
    > Linux ISOs DVD and CD?

    This comes highly recommended but I've not gotten round to trying it
    myself:

    http://www.untangle.com/

    --
    GIVE IT TO ME! I WANT YOUR SPAM! givemespam@wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk
    h o n e y p o t h o n e y p o t h o n e y p o t h o n e y p o t

  3. Re: Is there an Anti-Virus Proxy like system?

    Klunk wrote:
    > This comes highly recommended but I've not gotten round to trying it
    > myself:
    >
    > http://www.untangle.com/

    Actually that looked bloody great, but I couldn't find a Linux version.
    However there is a stand alone box version with integrated operating
    system, if you have a spare computer with two network cards, but I haven't got
    one of those.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  4. Re: Is there an Anti-Virus Proxy like system?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Actually that looked bloody great, but I couldn't find a Linux version.

    I found a Linux version

    The source tarball is available from the developers section, and is
    compatible with Linux.

    I am going to check that out later.

    --
    Mark Hobley,