Need some help here.

I downloaded a few latest components and finally built wireshark successfully for my Linux.
When I brought it up, it could not detect any NIC, whether me as a regular user or root.
But of course I can see my NIC with ifconfig, and eth0 is there.
Anything I missed during my build, or it's a known issue in wireShark? (hope not)
I saw some description from its html page saying not all NIC would be reported/detected.

I traced down to libpcap and found pcap_open_live() returns NULL. I am not a ethernet
person so I really have no clue. I am having libpcap 0.9.8 and wireshark 1.1.0.

BTW, I am running Linux under WMplayer in Windows XP sp3.

Thanks in advance.

Alan