problem in bonding while "service network restart" - Networking

This is a discussion on problem in bonding while "service network restart" - Networking ; Hi, I'm new to bonding. do "service network restart", the slaves devices not up or down, only the master devices are up. i doing manually up the slave devices, is there anyway to solve this one. My setup: OS: RHEL ...

  1. problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    Hi,

    I'm new to bonding.

    do "service network restart", the slaves devices not up or down, only
    the master devices are up.
    i doing manually up the slave devices, is there anyway to solve this
    one.

    My setup:
    OS: RHEL AS 4 (Update 5)
    kernel: 2.6.9-55.ELsmp
    ofed: 1.3

    after doing "service network restart"
    if found these messages in logs.

    bonding: bond0: Link status definitely down for interface eth0,
    disabling it.
    bonding: bond0: Now running without any active interface!

    bonding: bond1: Link status definitely down for interface ib0,
    disabling it.
    bonding: bond1: Now running without any active interface!

    Anyone come across this one.

    How do i solve this issue?

  2. Re: problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    gnanam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to bonding.
    >
    > do "service network restart", the slaves devices not up or down, only
    > the master devices are up.
    > i doing manually up the slave devices, is there anyway to solve this
    > one.
    >
    > My setup:
    > OS: RHEL AS 4 (Update 5)
    > kernel: 2.6.9-55.ELsmp
    > ofed: 1.3
    >
    > after doing "service network restart"
    > if found these messages in logs.
    >
    > bonding: bond0: Link status definitely down for interface eth0,
    > disabling it.
    > bonding: bond0: Now running without any active interface!
    >
    > bonding: bond1: Link status definitely down for interface ib0,
    > disabling it.
    > bonding: bond1: Now running without any active interface!
    >
    > Anyone come across this one.
    >
    > How do i solve this issue?

    1. Do you have ifcfg-* files for your bonded interfaces?
    You should.

    2. Why are you doing a network restart?
    Whatever you think you're doing, I'd bet you just want to bounce some
    interfaces with ifdown and ifup.

  3. Re: problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    On Sep 23, 8:51*pm, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > gnanam wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I'm new to bonding.

    > > do "service network restart", the slaves devices not up or down, only
    > > the master devices are up.
    > > i doing manually up the slave devices, is there anyway to solve this
    > > one.

    > > My setup:
    > > OS: RHEL AS 4 (Update 5)
    > > kernel: 2.6.9-55.ELsmp
    > > ofed: 1.3

    > > after doing "service network restart"
    > > if found these messages in logs.

    > > bonding: bond0: Link status definitely down for interface eth0,
    > > disabling it.
    > > bonding: bond0: Now running without any active interface!

    > > bonding: bond1: Link status definitely down for interface ib0,
    > > disabling it.
    > > bonding: bond1: *Now running without any active interface!

    > > Anyone come across this one.

    > > How do i solve this issue?

    > 1. Do you have ifcfg-* files for your bonded interfaces?
    > You should.
    >
    > 2. Why are you doing a network restart?
    > Whatever you think you're doing, I'd bet you just want to bounce some
    > interfaces with ifdown and ifup.

    Hi Allen,

    I have ifcfg-bond*, ifcfg-ib*(slaves for bond1), ifcfg-eth*(slave for
    bond0) in /etc/sysconf/network-scripts

    After bring-up the system, i'm change the configuration files then
    restart the network.

    If I reboot the system with the bonding configuration, i'm unable to
    connect the machine from remote, due to the slave devices are down.
    So that only i'm configure after the system came up.

    After "service network restart", run the command "ifconfig eth0
    up" (slave) and "ifconfig ib0 up" (slave).
    The slave interfaces are up.

    Or

    If I boot the system with bonding configuration, again i need to give
    commands to up the slave interfaces.

    /Gnana

  4. Re: problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    gnanam wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 8:51 pm, Allen Kistler wrote:
    >> gnanam wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'm new to bonding.
    >>> do "service network restart", the slaves devices not up or down, only
    >>> the master devices are up.
    >>> i doing manually up the slave devices, is there anyway to solve this
    >>> one.
    >>> My setup:
    >>> OS: RHEL AS 4 (Update 5)
    >>> kernel: 2.6.9-55.ELsmp
    >>> ofed: 1.3
    >>> after doing "service network restart"
    >>> if found these messages in logs.
    >>> bonding: bond0: Link status definitely down for interface eth0,
    >>> disabling it.
    >>> bonding: bond0: Now running without any active interface!
    >>> bonding: bond1: Link status definitely down for interface ib0,
    >>> disabling it.
    >>> bonding: bond1: Now running without any active interface!
    >>> Anyone come across this one.
    >>> How do i solve this issue?

    >> 1. Do you have ifcfg-* files for your bonded interfaces?
    >> You should.
    >>
    >> 2. Why are you doing a network restart?
    >> Whatever you think you're doing, I'd bet you just want to bounce some
    >> interfaces with ifdown and ifup.

    > Hi Allen,
    >
    > I have ifcfg-bond*, ifcfg-ib*(slaves for bond1), ifcfg-eth*(slave for
    > bond0) in /etc/sysconf/network-scripts

    You should have ifcfg files for the master interfaces, too.

    > After bring-up the system, i'm change the configuration files then
    > restart the network.

    You should only have to bounce the interfaces, not the entire network
    config.

    > [snip]

    Basically I'd suggest re-reading all your documentation on bonding to
    make sure you've got it right. I recall RHEL4 having a bug in not being
    able to start more than one bond device from the network init script,
    but you should at least get one to operate flawlessly if your configs
    are correct.

  5. Re: problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    On Sep 24, 10:48*am, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > gnanam wrote:
    > >> 1. Do you have ifcfg-* files for your bonded interfaces?
    > >> You should.

    > >> 2. Why are you doing a network restart?
    > >> Whatever you think you're doing, I'd bet you just want to bounce some
    > >> interfaces with ifdown and ifup.

    > > Hi Allen,

    > > I have ifcfg-bond*, ifcfg-ib*(slaves for bond1), ifcfg-eth*(slave for
    > > bond0) in /etc/sysconf/network-scripts

    > You should have ifcfg files for the master interfaces, too.
    >
    > > After bring-up the system, i'm change the configuration files then
    > > restart the network.

    > You should only have to bounce the interfaces, not the entire network
    > config.
    >

    > > [snip]

    > Basically I'd suggest re-reading all your documentation on bonding to
    > make sure you've got it right. *I recall RHEL4 having a bug in not being
    > able to start more than one bond device from the network init script,
    > but you should at least get one to operate flawlessly if your configs
    > are correct.

    Thanks Allen!

    I have some doubt, why those interfaces not up automatically?.
    If i use create single bond, the slave interface will up
    automatically?

    Thanks,
    Gnana

  6. Re: problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    gnanam wrote:
    > On Sep 24, 10:48 am, Allen Kistler wrote:
    >> gnanam wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> I have ifcfg-bond*, ifcfg-ib*(slaves for bond1), ifcfg-eth*(slave for
    >>> bond0) in /etc/sysconf/network-scripts

    >> You should have ifcfg files for the master interfaces, too.
    >>
    >>> After bring-up the system, i'm change the configuration files then
    >>> restart the network.

    >> You should only have to bounce the interfaces, not the entire network
    >> config.
    >>
    >>> [snip]

    >> Basically I'd suggest re-reading all your documentation on bonding to
    >> make sure you've got it right. I recall RHEL4 having a bug in not being
    >> able to start more than one bond device from the network init script,
    >> but you should at least get one to operate flawlessly if your configs
    >> are correct.

    > Thanks Allen!
    >
    > I have some doubt, why those interfaces not up automatically?.
    > If i use create single bond, the slave interface will up
    > automatically?

    The master and slave interfaces absolutely should come up automatically
    when the machine boots and when you ifdown/ifup the bond. (You still
    shouldn't restart the network, just the interface.) That's why I
    suggest you review the *whole* config (the bond, the master, and the slave).

  7. Re: problem in bonding while "service network restart"

    Hi Allen,

    Here i listed my system configuration, can you please find out my
    mistake.

    [root@dwtest1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-bond0
    DEVICE=bond0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    BROADCAST=172.19.200.255
    IPADDR=172.19.200.151
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=172.19.200.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Bonding
    GATEWAY=172.19.200.247
    USERCTL=no

    [root@dwtest1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-bond1
    DEVICE=bond1
    IPADDR=10.0.10.1
    BROADCAST=10.0.10.255
    NETWORK=10.0.10.0
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    USERCTL=no
    TYPE=Bonding

    [root@dwtest1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    ONBOOT=yes
    MASTER=bond0
    TYPE=Ethernet
    HWADDR=00:1F:29:E4:1D:62
    SLAVE=yes
    SLAVEDEV=1

    [root@dwtest1 network-scripts]# more ifcfg-ib0
    DEVICE=ib0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    TYPE=InfiniBand
    MASTER=bond1
    SLAVE=yes

    /Gnana

    On Sep 25, 4:22*am, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > gnanam wrote:

    > >> You should have ifcfg files for the master interfaces, too.

    > >> You should only have to bounce the interfaces, not the entire network
    > >> config.

    > >> Basically I'd suggest re-reading all your documentation on bonding to
    > >> make sure you've got it right. *I recall RHEL4 having a bug in not being
    > >> able to start more than one bond device from the network init script,
    > >> but you should at least get one to operate flawlessly if your configs
    > >> are correct.

    > > Thanks Allen!

    > > I have some doubt, why those interfaces not up automatically?.
    > > If i use create single bond, the slave interface will up
    > > automatically?

    > The master and slave interfaces absolutely should come up automatically
    > when the machine boots and when you ifdown/ifup the bond. *(You still
    > shouldn't restart the network, just the interface.) *That's why I
    > suggest you review the *whole* config (the bond, the master, and the slave).

+ Reply to Thread