How to determine what file extensions are supported by a browser? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to determine what file extensions are supported by a browser? - Networking ; I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions (in addition to *.html) are supported by a browser. Do Firefox and IE keep a list of all the supported file types? Is T&E (trial and error) the ...

  1. How to determine what file extensions are supported by a browser?

    I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions
    (in addition to *.html) are supported by a browser.

    Do Firefox and IE keep a list of all the supported file types?

    Is T&E (trial and error) the only way to find those out?

    TIA,

    -RFH

  2. Re: How to determine what file extensions are supported by abrowser?

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:54:22 -0700, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions (in
    > addition to *.html) are supported by a browser.
    >
    > Do Firefox and IE keep a list of all the supported file types?
    >
    > Is T&E (trial and error) the only way to find those out?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -RFH

    With Firefox, type

    aboutlugins

    in the URL text box.

  3. Re: How to determine what file extensions are supported by abrowser?

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:54:22 -0700, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions (in
    > addition to *.html) are supported by a browser.
    >
    > Do Firefox and IE keep a list of all the supported file types?
    >
    > Is T&E (trial and error) the only way to find those out?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -RFH

    P.S. Why would you post a question about IE in a linux group?

  4. Re: How to determine what file extensions are supported by a browser?

    On Sep 20, 6:23*am, david wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:54:22 -0700, Ramon F Herrera rearranged some
    > electrons to say:
    >
    > > I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions (in
    > > addition to *.html) are supported by a browser.

    > > Do Firefox and IE keep a list of all the supported file types?

    > > Is T&E (trial and error) the only way to find those out?

    > > TIA,

    > > -RFH

    > P.S. *Why would you post a question about IE in a linux group?

    Easy: Because we Linux users and sysadmins are:

    - smarter
    - better educated
    - more willing to help

    Than the MS ilk.

    -RFH

  5. Re:[OT] How to determine what file extensions are supported by a browser?

    In news:4d39ecc6-3a43-47da-8124-389f70fe18ed@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com,
    Ramon F Herrera typed:

    > I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions
    > (in addition to *.html) are supported by a browser.
    >
    > Do Firefox ...

    In the future, please post your questions in an appropriate Usenet
    newsgroup. Your query has nothing to do with Linux networking issues.

    Edit -> Preferences -> Applications

  6. Re: How to determine what file extensions are supported by a browser?

    On Sep 20, 3:54*am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > I would like to find a procedure to determine which file extensions
    > (in addition to *.html) are supported by a browser.

    I think that's kind of a deceptive question. Browsers typically don't
    care much about file extensions. For example, my Firefox browser has
    no problem understanding the content at "http://www.google.com/". What
    file extension is that exactly?

    DS

+ Reply to Thread