How to connect NFS at boot time? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to connect NFS at boot time? - Networking ; Hi folks, I'm trying to mount a user's home via NFS. So I configured my nfs server with /home/ 192.168.2.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync) and added as the last line to /etc/fstab on the client: 192.168.2.5:/home/private /home/ nfs auto,_netdev 0 0 Booting the client, ...

  1. How to connect NFS at boot time?

    Hi folks,

    I'm trying to mount a user's home via NFS.
    So I configured my nfs server with

    /home/ 192.168.2.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

    and added as the last line to /etc/fstab on the client:

    192.168.2.5:/home/private /home/ nfs auto,_netdev 0 0

    Booting the client, all local devices get mounted properly. But for mounting
    NFS-entries I have to do a "mount -a" as root manually.

    What is wrong with my configuration?

    My systems all run with SuSE 10.3,

    Greetings from Hamburg

  2. Re: How to connect NFS at boot time?

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:53:21 +0200, Torsten Kaiser wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I'm trying to mount a user's home via NFS.
    >So I configured my nfs server with
    >
    >/home/ 192.168.2.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
    >
    >and added as the last line to /etc/fstab on the client:
    >
    >192.168.2.5:/home/private /home/ nfs auto,_netdev 0 0

    ^^^^^^^^^^^--> this is server? ^^^^^^^--> what's this?

    >Booting the client, all local devices get mounted properly. But for mounting
    >NFS-entries I have to do a "mount -a" as root manually.
    >
    >What is wrong with my configuration?

    For my NFS clients, I have in .etc/fstab:
    deltree:/home/common /home/common nfs hard,intr
    deltree:/home/mirror /home/mirror nfs noauto,user,hard,intr
    deltree:/home/slack /home/slack nfs noauto,user,hard,intr

    At the server, /etc/exports:

    # common rw export
    /home/common 192.168.1.0/24(sync,rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

    # ro slackware install trees
    /home/slack 192.168.1.0/24(sync,ro,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

    # ro slamd64 and other local mirror stuff
    /home/mirror 192.168.1.0/24(sync,ro,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: How to connect NFS at boot time?

    Torsten Kaiser wrote:

    > I'm trying to mount a user's home via NFS.
    > So I configured my nfs server with
    >
    > /home/ 192.168.2.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
    >
    > and added as the last line to /etc/fstab on the client:
    >
    > 192.168.2.5:/home/private /home/ nfs auto,_netdev 0 0
    >

    > Booting the client, all local devices get mounted properly. But for
    > mounting NFS-entries I have to do a "mount -a" as root manually.
    >
    > What is wrong with my configuration?

    man autofs ;-)
    You will have to set up a configuration for the automount daemon. Just
    adding an entry to fstab won't do the trick:

    You need /etc/auto.master and at least one /etc/auto.xyz where maps are
    defined. The latter is often a script that creates dynamical maps. This
    way you can have e.g. /nfs/bill and /nfs/bob as home directories for
    Bill and Bob instead of mounting the entire home partition on the
    remote machine. Only as Bill or Bol log in the remote file systems will
    be mounted automagically.

    Günther

  4. Re: How to connect NFS at boot time?

    Hi folks,

    thank you for your help. I tried both versions, the static and the dynamic
    one.

    I corrected my parameters in /etc/fstab in the effort to nfs mount my web
    server sources at boot time. And for my remote home directories I
    configured automount.

    I'm doing my networking via Belkin WLAN cards and router which seem to be
    not intended for everyday use. Both mounts seem to fail due to a timeout
    problem. Even SSH needs abt. one minute to query the password.

    I also tried to do a workaround by appending some S99workaround script to
    the target runlevel. Even this failed since at runtime of this last script
    wlan0 still seems to aquire its IP-address.

    Turning off QoS on the Belkin Router might crash my network. Some features
    on this crap already did, but at least it has a standalone web interface...

    So before I do this thanks again for your help :-))

    Greetings from Hamburg

  5. Re: How to connect NFS at boot time?

    Torsten Kaiser wrote:

    > I'm doing my networking via Belkin WLAN cards and router which seem to
    > be not intended for everyday use. Both mounts seem to fail due to a
    > timeout problem. Even SSH needs abt. one minute to query the password.

    NFS over WLAN? Crazy idea IMHO. Set up everything wired first.

    Günther

+ Reply to Thread