Creating a visual Map of a network? - Networking

This is a discussion on Creating a visual Map of a network? - Networking ; I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise). This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. ...

  1. Creating a visual Map of a network?

    I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to
    find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise).

    This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I
    reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with
    certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps of
    the networks?

    What is the best way to map a network when ICMP echo has been turned off?

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    NJ

  2. Re: Creating a visual Map of a network?

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:43:56 -0400, in comp.os.linux.networking Neil Jones wrote:
    > I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to
    > find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise).

    > This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I
    > reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with
    > certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps of
    > the networks?

    > What is the best way to map a network when ICMP echo has been turned off?

    > Thank you in advance for any help.

    Do you have login access to each of the switches and routers
    in the network? If so, you may be able to use the various
    switches reporting abilities to find all connected devices
    by switch/router port. Then you'd have to assemble the
    info yourself.

    But this method won't tell you the OS type of each machine,
    and it has nothing to do with Linux.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  3. Re: Creating a visual Map of a network?

    Neil Jones wrote:
    > I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to
    > find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise).
    >
    > This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I
    > reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with
    > certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps of
    > the networks?

    Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.parseerror.com/lanmap/

    It passively scans all traffic that comes by your network card.

    Best regards,
    --
    Willem Bogaerts

    Application smith
    Kratz B.V.
    http://www.kratz.nl/

  4. Re: Creating a visual Map of a network?

    Dale Dellutri wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:43:56 -0400, in comp.os.linux.networking Neil Jones wrote:
    >> I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to
    >> find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise).

    >> This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I
    >> reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with
    >> certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps of
    >> the networks?

    >> What is the best way to map a network when ICMP echo has been turned off?

    >> Thank you in advance for any help.

    > Do you have login access to each of the switches and routers
    > in the network? If so, you may be able to use the various
    > switches reporting abilities to find all connected devices
    > by switch/router port. Then you'd have to assemble the
    > info yourself.
    >
    > But this method won't tell you the OS type of each machine,
    > and it has nothing to do with Linux.

    There are some tools like 3Com's nework scanners that will scan the switches
    and try to assemble a map. They're limited, and their update utilities are not
    very good, but for a fast map and rough layout, they're quite good.

  5. Re: Creating a visual Map of a network?

    In comp.os.linux.networking Neil Jones wrote:
    > This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I
    > reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with
    > certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps
    > of the networks?

    Long long ago, when high powered workstations used 68K chips, I used
    to play with early versions of some OpenView stuff which did that. It
    used SNMP to retrieve information from devices - hosts, switches,
    routers, whatnot, and built-up a logical map of the entire network
    showing what was on which side of what. I suspect that is still part
    of OpenView Network Node Manager:

    https://h10078.www1.hp.com/cda/hpms/display/main/hpms_content.jsp?zn=bto&cp=1-11-15-119^9684_4000_100__

    is a link one can find via:

    http://www.hp.com/go/openview

    > What is the best way to map a network when ICMP echo has been turned
    > off?

    Turn it back on?-)

    rick jones
    never have liked security through obscurity

  6. Re: Creating a visual Map of a network?

    Neil Jones wrote:
    > I am being tasked to map a network. In the past I have used nmap to
    > find the systems on the local LAN and remote LANs (same enterprise).
    >
    > This time I want to create a visual map of the LAN. With cheops, I
    > reasonably good results but cannot be documented for managers with
    > certainty. What are some good tools now that will create visual maps of
    > the networks?
    >
    > What is the best way to map a network when ICMP echo has been turned off?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.
    >
    > NJ

    Use 'cdp neighbors' if you are using all Cisco devices. Then compile the
    data yourself by manually looking at the configs for all devices and
    putting the data into a map using Visio or something similar. Or you can
    purchase an expensive application to do the mapping for you. Search
    Google. It will tell you.

  7. Re: Creating a visual Map of a network?

    Brandon McCombs wrote:

    > Use 'cdp neighbors' if you are using all Cisco devices. Then compile the
    > data yourself by manually looking at the configs for all devices and
    > putting the data into a map using Visio or something similar. Or you can
    > purchase an expensive application to do the mapping for you. ...

    see http://netdisco.org/ for an example of such an application, minus
    the "expensive", that is. ;-)

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University