Re: Bacula/Amanda Question - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: Bacula/Amanda Question - Networking ; gnosbush@gmail.com wrote: > I have been researching Bacula looking for a backup system. Am I > correct in my understanding that each file/client needs to be open to > the network on port 9102 for the director to contact it ...

  1. Re: Bacula/Amanda Question

    gnosbush@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have been researching Bacula looking for a backup system. Am I
    > correct in my understanding that each file/client needs to be open to
    > the network on port 9102 for the director to contact it and initiate
    > the backup? Is there anyway the client can initiate the backup? I
    > have a few computers that are behind a wireless router, the IP is
    > dynamic, and each computer uses DHCP assigned through the router.

    > If Bacula does not work for this situation, what about Amanda?

    Amanda relies on the xinetd for connections. Bacula will do the same.
    You might want to use DynDNS and a ssh tunnel to contact the remote
    machines. I would just do a local backup on these, probably with Amanda
    just doing a backup of localhost on an external drive. Simpler and
    safer as long as no other services are exposed by the router.

    GŁnther

  2. Re: Bacula/Amanda Question

    gnosbush@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Sep 15, 3:40*pm, GŁnther Schwarz wrote:

    >> Amanda relies on the xinetd for connections. Bacula will do the same.
    >> You might want to use DynDNS and a ssh tunnel to contact the remote
    >> machines. I would just do a local backup on these, probably with
    >> Amanda just doing a backup of localhost on an external drive.

    > I would like everything to be backed up to one remote server however
    > as I want everything to be automatic and offsite as I can't be at this
    > site very much.

    You can still scp or rsync the backup archives to your server which will
    probably have a fixed IP. This can be initiated automatically by the
    clients.

    GŁnther

+ Reply to Thread