non-invasive alternatives to netperf - Networking

This is a discussion on non-invasive alternatives to netperf - Networking ; In my network benchmarking adventures so far I've found netperf to be an excellent tool. But the point is, netperf is "invasive" in the sense that it is generating its own traffic to monitor my network. Are there any similar ...

  1. non-invasive alternatives to netperf

    In my network benchmarking adventures so far I've found netperf to be an
    excellent tool. But the point is, netperf is "invasive" in the sense that
    it is generating its own traffic to monitor my network. Are there any
    similar tools that will just allow me passive network traffic / bandwidth
    monitoring?

    I want to load my cluster with its typical workload and then as a
    uninterfereing "observer" see if the network is running to its full
    capacity or not. IS there another suite of tools I ought to be
    considering?

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: non-invasive alternatives to netperf

    Rahul writes:

    > I want to load my cluster with its typical workload and then as a
    > uninterfereing "observer" see if the network is running to its full
    > capacity or not. IS there another suite of tools I ought to be
    > considering?

    The best way is, IMHO, use a sniffer like wireshark/tcpdump.
    You need a hub with port mirroring, and a big disk.

    Once you capture it, you can extract single sessions between two
    machines for analysis.

    Look as something that you think should be fast, but isn't.
    That's a starting point.

  3. Re: non-invasive alternatives to netperf

    In comp.os.linux.networking Rahul wrote:

    > In my network benchmarking adventures so far I've found netperf to
    > be an excellent tool. But the point is, netperf is "invasive" in the
    > sense that it is generating its own traffic to monitor my
    > network.

    It can be very invasive indeed! I once got a call from some
    distressed folks - seems that they had a developer mess-up his routing
    and so netperf UDP_STREAM tests were flowing over an intra-site link.
    That would have been ok for a little while, but it persisted - long
    enough to rather toast the security camera feeds from one site to the
    other It was after that phone call "Them: Can't you do something in
    netperf to prevent that? Me: Nope" that I started putting "netperf" in
    the default buffers being sent - at least then it is a little easier
    to notice

    > Are there any similar tools that will just allow me passive
    > network traffic / bandwidth monitoring?

    Most switch vendors, HP ProCurve is an example, offer tools to provide
    nice pretty pictures of load on their switches/ports - the "managed"
    ones anway. IIRC free versions can arrive on a CD with the switch and
    one can buy more advanced versions.

    http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/management/index.htm

    has links for both flavors for ProCurve switches.

    Some folks will use the mrtg (multi-router traffic grapher iirc) to
    make pretty pictures of similar stats retrieved via SNMP.

    rick jones