Providing users with a virtual GUI over VNC - Networking

This is a discussion on Providing users with a virtual GUI over VNC - Networking ; While I have been using Linux for some time, this is an idea I have no idea how to approach: I wish to allow users to log into my Linux box from over the Internet. I would like to provide ...

  1. Providing users with a virtual GUI over VNC

    While I have been using Linux for some time, this is an idea I have no
    idea how to approach: I wish to allow users to log into my Linux box
    from over the Internet. I would like to provide them with a simple
    virtual desktop, something like what you'd see in a Microsoft Terminal
    Server (I also have very little experience with that).

    So far my idea is to use Xvnc and install Fluxbox. As the subject
    says, I would require that it be made available over VNC so that it is
    accessible from virtually any computer.

    Is there an easy way to setup such an environment easily (or do
    something similar)? I am considering doing this on Ubuntu Server
    Edition.

    Thanks.
    Brody

  2. Re: Providing users with a virtual GUI over VNC

    BrodyH wrote:
    > So far my idea is to use Xvnc and install Fluxbox. As the subject
    > says, I would require that it be made available over VNC so that it is
    > accessible from virtually any computer.

    You really need to either lock down all processes, so that unauthorized
    users cannot conduct illegal activities from your machine.

    Also you would probably need to configure one desktop per user.

    Are you running some sort of secure desktop bulletin board type
    application that runs only a specific application? You would not want users to
    be able to run a browser from your desktop, or to be able to run arbitary
    commands from your machine.

    You could provide a remotely accessible web application using zope,
    rather than giving remote access.

    If you don't need to provide a remote graphical interface, you can just
    replace your users login program with the a bulletin board program, or a
    secure application of your choice. (Do not permit shell access.)

    > Is there an easy way to setup such an environment easily (or do
    > something similar)?

    It is going to take work, but a dedicated bulletin board application
    would probably be the quickest to implement.

    I don't know of any graphical desktop types.

    You are probably going to end up writing your own application, if you
    have a specific purpose in mind.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  3. Re: Providing users with a virtual GUI over VNC

    On Sep 10, 10:11 pm, markhob...@hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
    Hobley) wrote:
    > BrodyH wrote:
    > > So far my idea is to use Xvnc and install Fluxbox. As the subject
    > > says, I would require that it be made available over VNC so that it is
    > > accessible from virtually any computer.

    > You really need to either lock down all processes, so that unauthorized
    > users cannot conduct illegal activities from your machine.
    >
    > Also you would probably need to configure one desktop per user.
    >
    > Are you running some sort of secure desktop bulletin board type
    > application that runs only a specific application? You would not want users to
    > be able to run a browser from your desktop, or to be able to run arbitary
    > commands from your machine.
    >
    > You could provide a remotely accessible web application using zope,
    > rather than giving remote access.
    >
    > If you don't need to provide a remote graphical interface, you can just
    > replace your users login program with the a bulletin board program, or a
    > secure application of your choice. (Do not permit shell access.)
    >
    > > Is there an easy way to setup such an environment easily (or do
    > > something similar)?

    > It is going to take work, but a dedicated bulletin board application
    > would probably be the quickest to implement.
    >
    > I don't know of any graphical desktop types.
    >
    > You are probably going to end up writing your own application, if you
    > have a specific purpose in mind.
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley,
    > 393 Quinton Road West,
    > Quinton, BIRMINGHAM.
    > B32 1QE.

    Thank you for your response! I will look into web-based solutions, as
    this would probably be much easier (not too concerned about the
    "desktop").

+ Reply to Thread