ntpd fscked up again - Networking

This is a discussion on ntpd fscked up again - Networking ; Ignoramus24166 writes: >Here I had another case of why ntpd is finicky and cannot be relied >on. Well, reading the ( admittedly terribly laid out) documentation-- See the "dynamic" keyword for a server. It does exactly what you want-- keep ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: ntpd fscked up again

    Ignoramus24166 writes:

    >Here I had another case of why ntpd is finicky and cannot be relied
    >on.

    Well, reading the ( admittedly terribly laid out) documentation-- See the
    "dynamic" keyword for a server. It does exactly what you want-- keep trying
    if a server is not available on startup.

    This is now the default in ntp 4.2.4p5 and was available in earlier 4.2.4
    versions.

    >ntp.conf specified a timeserver which is in datacenter.

    >Datacenter had power outage.

    >Power is restored.

    >ntp client comes up before network switch and before timeserver.

    >ntp does not see the timeserver. It quietly drops it from the list,
    >and basically sits there doing nothing, since there is nothing else
    >on the list. (and having more stuff on the list would not help)

    >I get no notice from it whatsoever, nothing in log files, etc. It just
    >sits there, doing nothing, not letting me know, time is drifting. I
    >have 26 servers acting in this manner.

    >Come on people. That's not how highly available programs behave. It
    >should keep on trying, or at least exit if it cannot do its job. If it
    >exited, my cron job with ntpdate would take over and fix things.

    >This is on Ubuntu Hardy.

    Ubuntu does not write ntp. What version of ntp does it use?

    >--
    > Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    > to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > more readers you will need to find a different means of
    > posting on Usenet.
    > http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: ntpd fscked up again

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Ignoramus24166 writes:
    >
    >> Here I had another case of why ntpd is finicky and cannot be relied
    >> on.

    > Well, reading the ( admittedly terribly laid out) documentation-- See the
    > "dynamic" keyword for a server. It does exactly what you want-- keep trying
    > if a server is not available on startup.
    >
    > This is now the default in ntp 4.2.4p5 and was available in earlier 4.2.4
    > versions.

    A handy option.
    FWIW, Fedora 9 has ntp-4.2.4p4, which has it. Yay!
    RHEL 5.2 has ntp-4.2.2, which doesn't. Argh.
    Well, 5.3 will probably be out before the end of the year.

  3. Re: ntpd fscked up again

    On 2008-09-13, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Bill Unruh wrote:
    >> Ignoramus24166 writes:
    >>
    >>> Here I had another case of why ntpd is finicky and cannot be relied
    >>> on.

    >> Well, reading the ( admittedly terribly laid out) documentation-- See the
    >> "dynamic" keyword for a server. It does exactly what you want-- keep trying
    >> if a server is not available on startup.
    >>
    >> This is now the default in ntp 4.2.4p5 and was available in earlier 4.2.4
    >> versions.

    > A handy option.
    > FWIW, Fedora 9 has ntp-4.2.4p4, which has it. Yay!
    > RHEL 5.2 has ntp-4.2.2, which doesn't. Argh.
    > Well, 5.3 will probably be out before the end of the year.

    I have 4.2.4p4 on Ubuntu. The manpage for ntp.conf does not mention
    this option.

    server address
    [autokey | key key] [burst] [version version] [prefer] [minpoll minpoll] [maxpoll maxpoll]

    For type s and r addresses, this operates as the NTPv3 server command which mobilizes a persistent client mode association.
    The server command specifies that the local server is to operate in client mode with the specified remote server. In this
    mode, the local server can be synchronized to the remote server, but the remote server can never be synchronized to the local
    server.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: ntpd fscked up again

    Ignoramus22875 writes:

    >On 2008-09-13, Allen Kistler wrote:
    >> Bill Unruh wrote:

    >>> Well, reading the ( admittedly terribly laid out) documentation-- See the
    >>> "dynamic" keyword for a server. It does exactly what you want-- keep trying
    >>> if a server is not available on startup.
    >>>
    >>> This is now the default in ntp 4.2.4p5 and was available in earlier 4.2.4
    >>> versions.

    >> A handy option.
    >> FWIW, Fedora 9 has ntp-4.2.4p4, which has it. Yay!
    >> RHEL 5.2 has ntp-4.2.2, which doesn't. Argh.
    >> Well, 5.3 will probably be out before the end of the year.

    >I have 4.2.4p4 on Ubuntu. The manpage for ntp.conf does not mention
    >this option.

    As has been mentioned often, there IS no man page for ntp written by the
    ntp writers. Any such man page is written by some outsider. The ntp people
    believe man pages are evil, and only 100 html pages as documentation are
    good. That way you cannot search them easily. (Yes, I am joking, well
    mostly)

    Mind you the html page on ntp.org says this option is not implimented in
    the current version. This is wrong. Ah well.

    > server address
    > [autokey | key key] [burst] [version version] [prefer] [minpoll minpoll] [maxpoll maxpoll]

    Send in a bug report on the man page. But do it quickly because the option
    has disappeared in 4.2.4p5 and become the default.

    > For type s and r addresses, this operates as the NTPv3 server command which mobilizes a persistent client mode association.

    ntp is now up to version 4. That is a very old man page.

    > The server command specifies that the local server is to operate in client mode with the specified remote server. In this
    > mode, the local server can be synchronized to the remote server, but the remote server can never be synchronized to the local
    > server.

  5. Re: ntpd fscked up again

    On 2008-09-14, Unruh wrote:
    > Ignoramus22875 writes:

    >>> A handy option.
    >>> FWIW, Fedora 9 has ntp-4.2.4p4, which has it. Yay!
    >>> RHEL 5.2 has ntp-4.2.2, which doesn't. Argh.
    >>> Well, 5.3 will probably be out before the end of the year.

    >>I have 4.2.4p4 on Ubuntu. The manpage for ntp.conf does not mention
    >>this option.

    > As has been mentioned often, there IS no man page for ntp written by the
    > ntp writers. Any such man page is written by some outsider. The ntp people
    > believe man pages are evil, and only 100 html pages as documentation are
    > good. That way you cannot search them easily. (Yes, I am joking, well
    > mostly)
    >
    > Mind you the html page on ntp.org says this option is not implimented in
    > the current version. This is wrong. Ah well.

    So I could say

    server ntp.ubuntu.com dynamic

    Right?

    >> server address
    >> [autokey | key key] [burst] [version version] [prefer] [minpoll minpoll] [maxpoll maxpoll]

    > Send in a bug report on the man page. But do it quickly because the option
    > has disappeared in 4.2.4p5 and become the default.
    >

    >> For type s and r addresses, this operates as the NTPv3 server command which mobilizes a persistent client mode association.

    > ntp is now up to version 4. That is a very old man page.
    >

    >> The server command specifies that the local server is to operate in client mode with the specified remote server. In this
    >> mode, the local server can be synchronized to the remote server, but the remote server can never be synchronized to the local
    >> server.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: ntpd fscked up again

    Ignoramus22875 writes:

    >On 2008-09-14, Unruh wrote:
    >> Ignoramus22875 writes:

    >>>I have 4.2.4p4 on Ubuntu. The manpage for ntp.conf does not mention
    >>>this option.

    >> As has been mentioned often, there IS no man page for ntp written by the
    >> ntp writers. Any such man page is written by some outsider. The ntp people
    >> believe man pages are evil, and only 100 html pages as documentation are
    >> good. That way you cannot search them easily. (Yes, I am joking, well
    >> mostly)
    >>
    >> Mind you the html page on ntp.org says this option is not implimented in
    >> the current version. This is wrong. Ah well.
    >>

    >So I could say

    >server ntp.ubuntu.com dynamic

    I believe so. Try it. If that is wrong ntp should complain.

    What version of ntp are you running?

    >Right?

    >>> server address
    >>> [autokey | key key] [burst] [version version] [prefer] [minpoll minpoll] [maxpoll maxpoll]

    >> Send in a bug report on the man page. But do it quickly because the option
    >> has disappeared in 4.2.4p5 and become the default.
    >>

    >>> For type s and r addresses, this operates as the NTPv3 server command which mobilizes a persistent client mode association.

    >> ntp is now up to version 4. That is a very old man page.
    >>

    >>> The server command specifies that the local server is to operate in client mode with the specified remote server. In this
    >>> mode, the local server can be synchronized to the remote server, but the remote server can never be synchronized to the local
    >>> server.

    >--
    > Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    > to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > more readers you will need to find a different means of
    > posting on Usenet.
    > http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2