Dlink switch, status - Networking

This is a discussion on Dlink switch, status - Networking ; In my company, all PCs are connected to a 24-port Dlink switch. A broadband router is connected to this switch as well (where all internet traffic goes). I want to find out how many PCs are connected at a particular ...

  1. Dlink switch, status

    In my company, all PCs are connected to a 24-port Dlink switch. A
    broadband router is connected to this switch as well (where all
    internet traffic goes).

    I want to find out how many PCs are connected at a particular point in
    time (not necessary browsing the net).

    I can't see all connections by using the Windows Explorer (I am
    running XP on my PC).

    Typing 192.168.1.1 shows nothing.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Dlink switch, status

    On Sep 9, 8:31*pm, sb5...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > In my company, all PCs are connected to a 24-port Dlink switch. A
    > broadband router is connected to this switch as well (where all
    > internet traffic goes).
    >
    > I want to find out how many PCs are connected at a particular point in
    > time (not necessary browsing the net).
    >
    > I can't see all connections by using the Windows Explorer (I am
    > running XP on my PC).
    >
    > Typing 192.168.1.1 shows nothing.
    >
    > Thanks.

    1) What is your definition of "connected at a particular point in
    time"? Does it just mean their port is live at the switch?

    2) What model is the switch? Is it a managed switch?

    DS

  3. Re: Dlink switch, status

    By "connected" I mean PC is on, ie if someonw were to look at the
    front panel of the switch the LED is lighted; thus PC is on and the
    switch is "aware" of its presence. But I am at another floor, I want
    to find out from my location.

    The Switch is D-link Des1024R+; I am not sure it is managed ( I think
    not).

    Thanks.

    > 1) What is your definition of "connected at a particular point in
    > time"? Does it just mean their port is live at the switch?
    >
    > 2) What model is the switch? Is it a managed switch?
    >
    > DS

  4. Re: Dlink switch, status

    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > In my company, all PCs are connected to a 24-port Dlink switch [...]

    > I want to find out how many PCs are connected at a particular point in
    > time (not necessary browsing the net).

    Replace the DLink with a managed switch.

    > I can't see all connections by using the Windows Explorer (I am
    > running XP on my PC).

    This is a Linux newsgroup so any advice you get it likely to assume
    you're going to be using Linux.

    You could use an arp sniffer. Maybe arp-scan or arpwatch (Debian
    packages) might help.

    Chris

  5. Re: Dlink switch, status

    sb5309@yahoo.com writes:

    > In my company, all PCs are connected to a 24-port Dlink switch. A
    > broadband router is connected to this switch as well (where all
    > internet traffic goes).
    >
    > I want to find out how many PCs are connected at a particular point in
    > time (not necessary browsing the net).

    You want a hub that allows port mirroring, and a network sniffer attached to that port.
    Dell makes them. You can use wireshark for sniffing.

    You could also try pinging the broadcast address, or asking the DHCP server.

  6. Re: Dlink switch, status

    Maxwell Lol writes:

    > You could also try pinging the broadcast address, or asking the DHCP server.

    Or nmap

  7. Re: Dlink switch, status

    On Sep 9, 9:58*pm, sb5...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > By "connected" I mean PC is on, ie if someonw were to look at the
    > front panel of the switch the LED is lighted; thus PC is on and the
    > switch is "aware" of its presence. But I am at another floor, I want
    > to find out from my location.

    > The Switch is D-link Des1024R+; I am not sure it is managed ( I think
    > not).

    The switch isn't managed. Point a webcam at the switch's lights.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread