WIFI Ad-Hoc network with encryption: howto? - Networking

This is a discussion on WIFI Ad-Hoc network with encryption: howto? - Networking ; Hello. I have two computer that I want to hook up through WIFI. I succeeded in linking them without encryption, but now I would like to turn WAP encryption up. I'm using iwconfig, and tried using the 'key "s assword"' ...

  1. WIFI Ad-Hoc network with encryption: howto?

    Hello.

    I have two computer that I want to hook up through WIFI.

    I succeeded in linking them without encryption, but now I would like to turn
    WAP encryption up.

    I'm using iwconfig, and tried using the 'key "sassword"' option, but then
    the link gets broken, and the computers can't connect to each other anymore
    (they can still see each othe in 'iwlist scanning').

    Can anybody help me on this? Thanks!

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  2. Re: WIFI Ad-Hoc network with encryption: howto?

    On 09/09/2008 10:44 AM, Fabrice Delente wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have two computer that I want to hook up through WIFI.
    >
    > I succeeded in linking them without encryption, but now I would like to turn
    > WAP encryption up.
    >
    > I'm using iwconfig, and tried using the 'key "sassword"' option, but then
    > the link gets broken, and the computers can't connect to each other anymore
    > (they can still see each othe in 'iwlist scanning').
    >
    > Can anybody help me on this? Thanks!

    I successfully have been using ipsec/setkey since long for the same. The
    IPsec protocols operate at the network layer, layer 3 of the OSI model,
    hence suitable for any kinds of interfaces whether wired or wireless.

    Plz check the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPsec page for further details.

    Hope that helps,
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  3. Re: WIFI Ad-Hoc network with encryption: howto?

    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > Plz check the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPsec page for further details.

    Thanks, I'll look that up!

    --