How full is my ethernet transmit queue? - Networking

This is a discussion on How full is my ethernet transmit queue? - Networking ; I can tell the *capacity* of my transmit queue with ifconfig (txqueuelen). But how can I tell how many packets are currently queued awaiting transmission?...

  1. How full is my ethernet transmit queue?

    I can tell the *capacity* of my transmit queue with ifconfig (txqueuelen).

    But how can I tell how many packets are currently queued awaiting
    transmission?

  2. Re: How full is my ethernet transmit queue?

    timeOday wrote:

    > I can tell the *capacity* of my transmit queue with ifconfig (txqueuelen).
    >
    > But how can I tell how many packets are currently queued awaiting
    > transmission?

    As far as I know its just a buffer and gets emptied as soon as it can.
    Its done by DMA because of the high speeds.
    The chips also have smaller buffers.
    If stuff is queued then its likely to be in your application and not
    the communications buffers.
    But my knowledge is limited - so take with pinch of salt.

+ Reply to Thread