Connecting two computers through WIFI - Networking

This is a discussion on Connecting two computers through WIFI - Networking ; Hello. Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI? Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do iwlist $INTERFACE scanning on both computers, I see the nearby access point). One has an atheros ...

  1. Connecting two computers through WIFI

    Hello.

    Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI?

    Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do

    iwlist $INTERFACE scanning

    on both computers, I see the nearby access point).

    One has an atheros chpiset card, I configure it with

    modprobe ath_pci
    wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
    iwconfig ath0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.3

    and the other (which has an intel chipset card) with

    iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.4

    When I try to ping one from the other, nothing happens (I get "Network
    Unreachable" errors).

    I think I have to give a "route" command, but

    route add default gw 192.168.1.4 wlan0

    doesn't help...

    Any hint? Thanks!

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  2. Re: Connecting two computers through WIFI

    fdelente@mail.cpod.fr writes:

    >Hello.

    >Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI?

    >Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do

    >iwlist $INTERFACE scanning

    >on both computers, I see the nearby access point).

    Connect to that access point. Look at the addresses assigned by the dhcp of
    that access point. Use them.

    >One has an atheros chpiset card, I configure it with

    >modprobe ath_pci
    >wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    >wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
    >iwconfig ath0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    >ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.3

    >and the other (which has an intel chipset card) with

    >iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    >ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.4

    >When I try to ping one from the other, nothing happens (I get "Network
    >Unreachable" errors).

    >I think I have to give a "route" command, but

    No. That access point has to know what your IP addresses are. That you tell
    your machine ()ifconfig) what its address is is irrelevant. Use dhcp to get
    addresses from the access point.

    >route add default gw 192.168.1.4 wlan0

    >doesn't help...

    >Any hint? Thanks!

    >--
    >Fabrice DELENTE

  3. Re: Connecting two computers through WIFI

    Unruh wrote:
    > No. That access point has to know what your IP addresses are. That you tell
    > your machine ()ifconfig) what its address is is irrelevant. Use dhcp to get
    > addresses from the access point.

    No. I don't want the access point to act as a router; I want two computers
    to talk directly to each other, in Ad-Hoc mode, without passing through a
    router. So I can assign them private subnet IPs such as 192.168.1.*

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

    SVP, ne m'envoyez pas de pièces jointes aux formats Word, PowerPoint, RTF
    (formats propriétaires). Utilisez des formats libres comme txt, html, ou
    OpenOffice.Org, ou un format ouvert comme PDF. Merci. Voir
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-wor...hments.fr.html

+ Reply to Thread