Spoofing IP address from Firefox - Networking

This is a discussion on Spoofing IP address from Firefox - Networking ; I need to visit a web site in the UK. However, whenever I try and visit it redirects me to its US web site, presumably because it is detecting that my connection request is coming from the US. Meaning to ...

  1. Spoofing IP address from Firefox

    I need to visit a web site in the UK. However, whenever I try and
    visit it redirects me to its US web site, presumably because it is
    detecting that my connection request is coming from the US. Meaning to
    make things simpler, the designers of that site simply screw me up :-(

    Is there a way around this? I imagine that they must be getting
    the information from my IP address. Can I spoof this somehow from Firefox?

  2. Re: Spoofing IP address from Firefox

    H.K. Kingston-Smith wrote:
    > I need to visit a web site in the UK. However, whenever I try and
    > visit it redirects me to its US web site, presumably because it is
    > detecting that my connection request is coming from the US. Meaning to
    > make things simpler, the designers of that site simply screw me up :-(
    >
    > Is there a way around this? I imagine that they must be getting
    > the information from my IP address. Can I spoof this somehow from Firefox?

    Find a free http proxy based in the uk and use that in your firefox proxy
    settings.

  3. Re: Spoofing IP address from Firefox

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 13:52:40 -0400, Joe Beanfish wrote:

    > H.K. Kingston-Smith wrote:
    >> I need to visit a web site in the UK. However, whenever I try and
    >> visit it redirects me to its US web site, presumably because it is
    >> detecting that my connection request is coming from the US. Meaning to
    >> make things simpler, the designers of that site simply screw me up :-(
    >>
    >> Is there a way around this? I imagine that they must be getting
    >> the information from my IP address. Can I spoof this somehow from
    >> Firefox?

    > Find a free http proxy based in the uk and use that in your firefox
    > proxy settings.

    I have, and that did not work very well. First, the latency is
    barely tolerable, and second, I have not been able to find any
    transparent proxies in the UK.

  4. Re: Spoofing IP address from Firefox

    "H.K. Kingston-Smith" writes:

    > I need to visit a web site in the UK. However, whenever I try and
    > visit it redirects me to its US web site, presumably because it is
    > detecting that my connection request is coming from the US. Meaning to
    > make things simpler, the designers of that site simply screw me up :-(
    >
    > Is there a way around this? I imagine that they must be getting
    > the information from my IP address. Can I spoof this somehow from
    > Firefox?

    Try connecting over an anonymous network. It may fool the website into
    thinking you are in Europe and give different results.

    --
    Allan

  5. Re: Spoofing IP address from Firefox

    "H.K. Kingston-Smith" writes:

    > I need to visit a web site in the UK. However, whenever I try and
    > visit it redirects me to its US web site, presumably because it is
    > detecting that my connection request is coming from the US. Meaning to
    > make things simpler, the designers of that site simply screw me up :-(
    >
    > Is there a way around this? I imagine that they must be getting
    > the information from my IP address. Can I spoof this somehow from Firefox?

    I hear the BBC does this when letting people get access to TV over the web.
    UK people have access. Others do not.
    I suspect latency will cause a problem if you try to use a proxy.

+ Reply to Thread