LADAP - Networking

This is a discussion on LADAP - Networking ; HI, I just do my first steps with Linux (Open Suse 10.3) and I have a question about OpenLDAP. I have a computer with 2 network cards. With one network card the computer is connected with a server (Open Suse ...

  1. LADAP

    HI,

    I just do my first steps with Linux (Open Suse 10.3) and I have a
    question about OpenLDAP.

    I have a computer with 2 network cards.

    With one network card the computer is connected with a server (Open
    Suse
    10.3). This server works as a LDAP-server (User management, home
    directories, email...) and the computer as LDAP-client.

    The second network card is configured as a private subnet
    (192.168.0.0).
    In this subnet, the computer is configured as a server including as
    LDAP server.

    My question:

    Can a computer configured for one network as LDAP client and for
    another network as LDAP server?

    How do I configured this computer?

    Thanks in advance

    Gerd

  2. Re: LADAP

    Gerd wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > I just do my first steps with Linux (Open Suse 10.3) and I have a
    > question about OpenLDAP.
    >

    > I have a computer with 2 network cards.
    >
    > With one network card the computer is connected with a server (Open
    > Suse
    > 10.3). This server works as a LDAP-server (User management, home
    > directories, email...) and the computer as LDAP-client.
    >

    > The second network card is configured as a private subnet
    > (192.168.0.0).
    > In this subnet, the computer is configured as a server including as
    > LDAP server.
    >
    > My question:
    >
    > Can a computer configured for one network as LDAP client and for
    > another network as LDAP server?
    >
    > How do I configured this computer?
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Gerd

    The idea of using LDAP is so that there is a single directory that may
    be used by the whole network. You should first think about what data you
    want to share through LDAP (like user names/UIDs, passwords, address
    books etc.) and then implement it on a single server.

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread