Failover routing - Networking

This is a discussion on Failover routing - Networking ; For my home network I need to choose what to use for the router: Either a Belkin WRT54G (ethernet switch + 54G wireless + router), or my "always on" Linux server. (Both will be up either way, but I'm configuring ...

  1. Failover routing

    For my home network I need to choose what to use for the router:

    Either a Belkin WRT54G (ethernet switch + 54G wireless + router),
    or my "always on" Linux server.

    (Both will be up either way, but I'm configuring everything to use the
    Linux box as a gateway which in turn uses the Belkin as a gateway).

    The advantage of routing through the Linux box is I use Linux traffic
    control to manage upstream bandwidth so VOIP (vonage) and bittorrent can
    coexist better.

    The advantage of the Belkin is reliability. The Linux box has a good
    uptime, but with all the functions it serves, and having fallible
    components like fans and hard drives, it's not as reliable as a simple
    dedicated router. Since my VOIP phone doesn't work when the router is
    down, this is fairly important (insert nightmare scenario of the
    babysitter trying to call 911 and the phone is down, etc).

    Ideally would be for the VOIP (Linksys PAP2) to route through the Linux
    box unless it's down; in that case go straight to the Belkin router.

    I had the idea to set up both the Belkin and Linux routers as DHCP
    servers, each making itself the gateway in the leases it grants, and
    making the leases expire after only a few minutes. But then sometimes
    the PAP2 will take the Belkin lease over the Linux one by chance, and
    there's no apparent way to prioritize DHCP servers on the same network.

    I also have a USR5461 router I'm not using if that helps.

    I do also have an "always on" laptop running linux. I suppose it could
    stop routing through the linux server and start advertising leases with
    itself as gateway if it can't ping the Linux server?

  2. Re: Failover routing

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:42:19 -0600, timeOday passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > For my home network I need to choose what to use for the router:
    >
    > Either a Belkin WRT54G (ethernet switch + 54G wireless + router), or my
    > "always on" Linux server.
    >
    > (Both will be up either way, but I'm configuring everything to use the
    > Linux box as a gateway which in turn uses the Belkin as a gateway).
    >
    > The advantage of routing through the Linux box is I use Linux traffic
    > control to manage upstream bandwidth so VOIP (vonage) and bittorrent can
    > coexist better.
    >
    > The advantage of the Belkin is reliability. The Linux box has a good
    > uptime, but with all the functions it serves, and having fallible
    > components like fans and hard drives, it's not as reliable as a simple
    > dedicated router. Since my VOIP phone doesn't work when the router is
    > down, this is fairly important (insert nightmare scenario of the
    > babysitter trying to call 911 and the phone is down, etc).
    >
    > Ideally would be for the VOIP (Linksys PAP2) to route through the Linux
    > box unless it's down; in that case go straight to the Belkin router.
    >
    > I had the idea to set up both the Belkin and Linux routers as DHCP
    > servers, each making itself the gateway in the leases it grants, and
    > making the leases expire after only a few minutes. But then sometimes
    > the PAP2 will take the Belkin lease over the Linux one by chance, and
    > there's no apparent way to prioritize DHCP servers on the same network.
    >
    > I also have a USR5461 router I'm not using if that helps.
    >
    > I do also have an "always on" laptop running linux. I suppose it could
    > stop routing through the linux server and start advertising leases with
    > itself as gateway if it can't ping the Linux server?

    What a long winded way to do it. I just bought one of these as it uses a
    shed load less power: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?
    ProductID=1447

    Just set the QoS for VOIP if you find it an issue.