tools to benchmark ethernet performance? - Networking

This is a discussion on tools to benchmark ethernet performance? - Networking ; I've been playing around with Ethernet Channel Bonding on our new Cluster to couple twin gigabit eth adapters to get a (close to) 2 gbit bandwidth. What's a good way to benchmark? Are there any tools out there that could ...

  1. tools to benchmark ethernet performance?

    I've been playing around with Ethernet Channel Bonding on our new Cluster
    to couple twin gigabit eth adapters to get a (close to) 2 gbit bandwidth.
    What's a good way to benchmark? Are there any tools out there that could
    saturate my network and give me some performance numbers? It is a privte
    network currently uncommissioned so I don't have to worry too much about
    bringing it down etc.

    I've tried my best to follow instructions (set up bond0; chose the right
    mode and load-balancing algo, set up LAG groups on my switches etc.) but I
    guess the ultimate proof is in benchmarking the performance of the two
    cases (bonded and not).

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: tools to benchmark ethernet performance?

    In comp.os.linux.networking Rahul wrote:
    > I've been playing around with Ethernet Channel Bonding on our new
    > Cluster to couple twin gigabit eth adapters to get a (close to) 2
    > gbit bandwidth. What's a good way to benchmark? Are there any tools
    > out there that could saturate my network and give me some
    > performance numbers? It is a privte network currently uncommissioned
    > so I don't have to worry too much about bringing it down etc.

    > I've tried my best to follow instructions (set up bond0; chose the
    > right mode and load-balancing algo, set up LAG groups on my switches
    > etc.) but I guess the ultimate proof is in benchmarking the
    > performance of the two cases (bonded and not).

    http://www.netperf.org/ would be one suggestion out of many.

    http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/...c/netperf.html has a
    section on measuring aggregate performance.

    happy benchmarking,

    rick jones

  3. Re: tools to benchmark ethernet performance?

    Rick Jones wrote in news:g96pbq$e26$1
    @usenet01.boi.hp.com:

    > http://www.netperf.org/ would be one suggestion out of many.
    >
    > http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/...c/netperf.html has a
    > section on measuring aggregate performance.

    Thanks Rick. I downloaded that. Curiosity prompts me to ask about the
    others from "out of many"

    Any other recommendations you, or others have for me?

    --
    Rahul

+ Reply to Thread