Cat 6 cable - Home made problem - Networking

This is a discussion on Cat 6 cable - Home made problem - Networking ; Hi, Very silly question. I tried to make some Cat6 cables, and communicate @ 1 Gb/s I am using Cat6 FTP cable ( ~ 20m ) and ALL my cables negotiate only at 100 Mb /s !??! Is there any ...

  1. Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    Hi,

    Very silly question.

    I tried to make some Cat6 cables, and communicate @ 1 Gb/s

    I am using Cat6 FTP cable ( ~ 20m ) and ALL my cables negotiate only at
    100 Mb /s !??!

    Is there any trick ?

    ( I am using shelded RJ45 plugs... Are there some specific for Cat6 ??
    Could it be the problem ?

    Thanks and regards,

    Stephane

  2. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    Steve writes:

    >Hi,

    >Very silly question.

    >I tried to make some Cat6 cables, and communicate @ 1 Gb/s

    It is not the cable. It is the cards. all cards must be gigabit cards. Also
    cat5e is capable of of gigabit speeds ( I do it)

    >I am using Cat6 FTP cable ( ~ 20m ) and ALL my cables negotiate only at

    I have no idea what cat6 ftp cable is.

    > 100 Mb /s !??!

    >Is there any trick ?

    >( I am using shelded RJ45 plugs... Are there some specific for Cat6 ??

    What are shielded RY45 plugs?

    >Could it be the problem ?

    >Thanks and regards,

    >Stephane

  3. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:04:23 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >Steve writes:

    >>Hi,

    >>Very silly question.

    >>I tried to make some Cat6 cables, and communicate @ 1 Gb/s

    >It is not the cable. It is the cards. all cards must be gigabit cards. Also
    >cat5e is capable of of gigabit speeds ( I do it)

    ditto for any hubs, switches or routers along the way.

  4. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    Unruh wrote:

    > Steve writes:
    >

    >>I am using Cat6 FTP cable ( ~ 20m ) and ALL my cables negotiate
    >>only at

    > I have no idea what cat6 ftp cable is.

    Foiled Twisted Pair: The pairs are shielded with foil, aka
    U/FTP

    >>( I am using shelded RJ45 plugs... Are there some specific for
    >>Cat6 ??

    > What are shielded RY45 plugs?

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...e_shielded.jpg

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  5. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    Joerg wrote:
    > Unruh wrote:
    >
    >> Steve writes:
    >>

    >>> I am using Cat6 FTP cable ( ~ 20m ) and ALL my cables negotiate
    >>> only at

    >> I have no idea what cat6 ftp cable is.
    >>

    > Foiled Twisted Pair: The pairs are shielded with foil, aka
    > U/FTP
    >

    >>> ( I am using shelded RJ45 plugs... Are there some specific for
    >>> Cat6 ??

    >> What are shielded RY45 plugs?
    >>

    > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...e_shielded.jpg
    >
    > Joerg

    Yes sure my router and my Ethernet Card are Gigabit LAN

    With a cable from the shop that work fine, with my own cable,
    negatiation at 100 Mb/s !??!! - Don't know why :-(

  6. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    Steve schreef:
    > Joerg wrote:
    >> Unruh wrote:

    >>> I have no idea what cat6 ftp cable is.
    >>>

    >> Foiled Twisted Pair: The pairs are shielded with foil, aka
    >> U/FTP

    >>> What are shielded RY45 plugs?
    >>>

    >> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...e_shielded.jpg
    >>
    >> Joerg

    > Yes sure my router and my Ethernet Card are Gigabit LAN
    >
    > With a cable from the shop that work fine, with my own cable,
    > negatiation at 100 Mb/s !??!! - Don't know why :-(

    As far as I know to get 1 Gb/s your cable need to have all 8 wires
    connected. A 100 Mb/s network only uses 4 wires. So if you make your own
    cables chances are much higher to fail.

    --
    Max

    Open Source is an ode to common sense

  7. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On Aug 28, 12:10*am, Steve wrote:
    > Joerg wrote:
    > > Unruh wrote:

    > >> I have no idea what cat6 ftp cable is.

    > > Foiled Twisted Pair: *The pairs are shielded with foil, aka *
    > > U/FTP

    > >> What are shielded RY45 plugs?

    > >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...e_shielded.jpg

    > > Joerg

    > Yes sure my router and my Ethernet Card are Gigabit LAN
    >
    > With a cable from the shop that work fine, with my own cable,
    > negatiation at 100 Mb/s !??!! * - Don't know why :-(

    Did you wire the cable correctly? Explain which pins you wired in
    pairs. If you paired 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, and 7+8, that's why it's not
    working.

    DS

  8. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    By the way, it's worth reminding people that connecting two GigE
    devices with a cable that's not GigE capable is an unsupported
    configuration. The cable cannot negotiate. The same goes for other
    purely passive pieces of equipment such as connectors.

    You cannot connect two GigE-capable, auto-negotiating devices with any
    passive components that are not GigE-capable.

    DS

  9. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On 2008-08-28, David Schwartz wrote:

    > Did you wire the cable correctly? Explain which pins you wired in
    > pairs. If you paired 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, and 7+8, that's why it's not
    > working.

    Would those pinouts work even at 100Mbps? I thought that too required
    1+2 and 3+6.

    Anyway, to the OP, if you're going to be making cables, you should
    invest in a cable tester. Prices vary from fairly cheap to insanely
    expensive. If this is the only cable you need, you should buy one
    of the correct length rather than futzing around with making your own.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  10. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    David Schwartz writes:

    >By the way, it's worth reminding people that connecting two GigE
    >devices with a cable that's not GigE capable is an unsupported
    >configuration. The cable cannot negotiate. The same goes for other
    >purely passive pieces of equipment such as connectors.

    A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.

    >You cannot connect two GigE-capable, auto-negotiating devices with any
    >passive components that are not GigE-capable.

    I agree but that seems to be an irrelevant observation as far the OP is
    concerned.

  11. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    In news:bILtk.10382$nu6.3995@edtnps83,
    Unruh typed:

    > A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.

    5e most certainly is not; 6 most certainly is. You have a very
    consistently-observed habit in Usenet of shooting your mouth off about
    things of which you know very little, if anything.

  12. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    "h.stroph" writes:

    >In news:bILtk.10382$nu6.3995@edtnps83,
    >Unruh typed:

    >> A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.

    >5e most certainly is not; 6 most certainly is. You have a very
    >consistently-observed habit in Usenet of shooting your mouth off about
    >things of which you know very little, if anything.

    Lets see, I have about 20m of cat 5e cable connecting my machine to the
    main switch and then 20m m connecting the main switch to another
    computers both with Gigabit ethernet cards. I get 80MB/s between the two
    (dominated by disk time) ( which is about 600Mb/s) I would say cat 5e is
    capable. And the user had Cat 6 wired directly

    If I go to Wikipedia on the Gigabit Ethernet page, we get
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet)

    "1000BASE-T (also known as IEEE 802.3ab) is a standard for gigabit Ethernet
    over copper wiring. It requires, at a minimum, Category 5 cable (the same
    as 100BASE-TX), but Category 5e ("Category 5 enhanced") and Category 6
    cable may also be used and are often recommended. 1000BASE-T requires all
    four pairs to be present and is far less tolerant of poorly installed
    wiring than 100BASE-TX."

    Now, do you have any other comments to enlighten us with?

  13. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    h.stroph wrote:

    > In news:bILtk.10382$nu6.3995@edtnps83,
    > Unruh typed:
    >
    >> A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.

    > 5e most certainly is not; 6 most certainly is. You have a very
    > consistently-observed habit in Usenet of shooting your mouth off about
    > things of which you know very little, if anything.

    This is all fine and dandy. Only problem is, he is right. And you are not
    --
    Ignorance is a condition. Stupidity is a way of life.

  14. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On 08/29/2008 01:33 AM, h.stroph wrote:
    > In news:bILtk.10382$nu6.3995@edtnps83,
    > Unruh typed:
    >
    >> A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.

    > 5e most certainly is not; 6 most certainly is. You have a very
    > consistently-observed habit in Usenet of shooting your mouth off about
    > things of which you know very little, if anything.

    You might want to check out the TIA/EIA-568-B standard. For instance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B lists cat5 as unrecognized
    by TIA/EIA and *may* be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
    The same page shows cat5e as usable for gigabit.

  15. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:08:28 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > "h.stroph" writes:
    >
    >>In news:bILtk.10382$nu6.3995@edtnps83, Unruh
    >>typed:

    >>> A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.

    >>5e most certainly is not; 6 most certainly is. You have a very
    >>consistently-observed habit in Usenet of shooting your mouth off about
    >>things of which you know very little, if anything.

    > Lets see, I have about 20m of cat 5e cable connecting my machine to the
    > main switch and then 20m m connecting the main switch to another
    > computers both with Gigabit ethernet cards. I get 80MB/s between the two
    > (dominated by disk time) ( which is about 600Mb/s) I would say cat 5e is
    > capable. And the user had Cat 6 wired directly
    >
    > If I go to Wikipedia on the Gigabit Ethernet page, we get
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet)
    >
    > "1000BASE-T (also known as IEEE 802.3ab) is a standard for gigabit
    > Ethernet over copper wiring. It requires, at a minimum, Category 5 cable
    > (the same as 100BASE-TX), but Category 5e ("Category 5 enhanced") and
    > Category 6 cable may also be used and are often recommended. 1000BASE-T
    > requires all four pairs to be present and is far less tolerant of poorly
    > installed wiring than 100BASE-TX."
    >
    > Now, do you have any other comments to enlighten us with?

    isn't there a limit on how long the cable can be (in the case of cat5e) ?

  16. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:04:17 +0000, goarilla wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:08:28 +0000, Unruh wrote:
    >
    >> "h.stroph" writes:
    >>
    >>>In news:bILtk.10382$nu6.3995@edtnps83, Unruh
    >>> typed:

    >>>5e most certainly is not; 6 most certainly is. You have a very
    >>>consistently-observed habit in Usenet of shooting your mouth off about
    >>>things of which you know very little, if anything.

    >> Lets see, I have about 20m of cat 5e cable connecting my machine to the
    >> main switch and then 20m m connecting the main switch to another
    >> computers both with Gigabit ethernet cards. I get 80MB/s between the
    >> two (dominated by disk time) ( which is about 600Mb/s) I would say cat
    >> 5e is capable. And the user had Cat 6 wired directly
    >>
    >> If I go to Wikipedia on the Gigabit Ethernet page, we get
    >> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet)
    >>
    >> "1000BASE-T (also known as IEEE 802.3ab) is a standard for gigabit
    >> Ethernet over copper wiring. It requires, at a minimum, Category 5
    >> cable (the same as 100BASE-TX), but Category 5e ("Category 5 enhanced")
    >> and Category 6 cable may also be used and are often recommended.
    >> 1000BASE-T requires all four pairs to be present and is far less
    >> tolerant of poorly installed wiring than 100BASE-TX."
    >>
    >> Now, do you have any other comments to enlighten us with?

    > isn't there a limit on how long the cable can be (in the case of cat5e)
    > ?

    nevermind it's the same limit as any other ethernet cable according to
    this resource
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...le#Category_5e

    100 meters

  17. Re: Cat 6 cable - Home made problem

    On Aug 28, 10:22*pm, Unruh wrote:
    > David Schwartz writes:
    > >By the way, it's worth reminding people that connecting two GigE
    > >devices with a cable that's not GigE capable is an unsupported
    > >configuration. The cable cannot negotiate. The same goes for other
    > >purely passive pieces of equipment such as connectors.

    > A cat 5e cable is GigE capable. Cat 6 certainly should be.
    >
    > >You cannot connect two GigE-capable, auto-negotiating devices with any
    > >passive components that are not GigE-capable.

    > I agree but that seems to be an irrelevant observation as far the OP is
    > concerned.

    The OP made his own cables. It's surprisingly easy to make cables that
    won't meet GigE standards, even if you have all the right parts. Did
    the OP fail to connect pin 8? Did the OP assign the pairs correctly?

    Such a cable may well work at 100Mbps without a problem but fail so
    badly at GigE that cards don't even negotiate it.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread