HomePlug Speeds - Networking

This is a discussion on HomePlug Speeds - Networking ; I have a mixed network of wired and wifi. For portable convenience I am considering two homeplugs to enable more flexibility with my system. I appreciate manufacturers like to exaggerate speed potential with their products but are homeplugs more reliable ...

  1. HomePlug Speeds

    I have a mixed network of wired and wifi.

    For portable convenience I am considering two homeplugs to enable more
    flexibility with my system.

    I appreciate manufacturers like to exaggerate speed potential with their
    products but are homeplugs more reliable (speedwise) than wifi systems.

    Geoff Lane

  2. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    > I have a mixed network of wired and wifi.
    >
    > For portable convenience I am considering two homeplugs to enable more
    > flexibility with my system.
    >
    > I appreciate manufacturers like to exaggerate speed potential with their
    > products but are homeplugs more reliable (speedwise) than wifi systems.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    I have not used a wifi network, but I have found my HomePlugs (Solwise
    PL-14PE) to be very reliable. I have always achieved around 14mbps, never
    lower than 11. I have used them all around the house with a mixture of
    desktop and laptop PCs (Windows & Linux), a Macbook and an XBox360. The
    only problem I have had has been a driver issue with my new laptop running
    Kubuntu 7.10. No experience with 85mbps or 200mbps - I wish

  3. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    Andrew Woodward wrote:

    >> I appreciate manufacturers like to exaggerate speed potential with their
    >> products but are homeplugs more reliable (speedwise) than wifi systems.

    > I have not used a wifi network, but I have found my HomePlugs (Solwise
    > PL-14PE) to be very reliable.

    That's reassuring, my wifi is fine but I need to take advantage of
    network booting requiring an ethernet connection.

    > only problem I have had has been a driver issue with my new laptop running
    > Kubuntu 7.10.

    That's surprising, I thought to the computer it was an ethernet connector.

    Geoff Lane

  4. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    >> only problem I have had has been a driver issue with my new laptop
    >> running Kubuntu 7.10.

    > That's surprising, I thought to the computer it was an ethernet connector.

    So did I! When I bought a new laptop and installed Kubuntu it stopped
    working. I went from scratching my head to tearing my hair out
    Eventually, installing a different network card driver cured the problem.
    Go figure...

    > Geoff Lane

  5. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:48:10 +0100, Andrew Woodward wrote:

    >>> only problem I have had has been a driver issue with my new laptop
    >>> running Kubuntu 7.10.

    >> That's surprising, I thought to the computer it was an ethernet
    >> connector.

    It is. Still needs a driver to access it.

    > So did I! When I bought a new laptop and installed Kubuntu it stopped
    > working. I went from scratching my head to tearing my hair out
    > Eventually, installing a different network card driver cured the problem.
    > Go figure...

    Heh. Yeah. The new laptop uses a different ethernet adapter than your
    old laptop, and you wouldn't think it would need a different driver?

    Of course it needs a different driver. Duh.

  6. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:48:10 +0100, Andrew Woodward wrote:
    >
    >> So did I! When I bought a new laptop and installed Kubuntu it stopped
    >> working. I went from scratching my head to tearing my hair out
    >> Eventually, installing a different network card driver cured the problem.
    >> Go figure...

    > Heh. Yeah. The new laptop uses a different ethernet adapter than your
    > old laptop, and you wouldn't think it would need a different driver?
    >
    > Of course it needs a different driver. Duh.

    Yes - but the sky2 driver that was installed with Kubuntu 7.10 worked fine
    with a directly wired connection at 100mbps, but *didn't* work with the
    HomePlug at 10mbps. To get the ethernet connector working with both I had
    to replace the driver with the sk98lin version.

    A search on "sky2 marvell yukon" will show lots of issues with that driver
    on the Marvell adapters.

  7. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:56:43 +0100, Andrew Woodward wrote:

    >>> So did I! When I bought a new laptop and installed Kubuntu it stopped
    >>> working. I went from scratching my head to tearing my hair out
    >>> Eventually, installing a different network card driver cured the
    >>> problem. Go figure...

    >> Heh. Yeah. The new laptop uses a different ethernet adapter than your
    >> old laptop, and you wouldn't think it would need a different driver?
    >>
    >> Of course it needs a different driver. Duh.

    > Yes - but the sky2 driver that was installed with Kubuntu 7.10 worked fine
    > with a directly wired connection at 100mbps, but *didn't* work with the
    > HomePlug at 10mbps. To get the ethernet connector working with both I had
    > to replace the driver with the sk98lin version.

    That's a completely different thing than what you said originally, which
    was that replacing a *laptop* required a different driver than the
    previous laptop. What you just described clearly indicates an issue with
    this "HomePlug" contraption, not with the sky2 ethernet driver.

  8. Re: HomePlug Speeds

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:21:57 +0100, Andrew Woodward wrote:

    >> What you just described clearly indicates an issue with this "HomePlug"
    >> contraption, not with the sky2 ethernet driver.

    > wrong

    You don't know much about troubleshooting, do you?

    > You *assume* that you correctly interpreted what you read. You *assume*
    > that I am an idiot.

    Wrong. I *know* what I read. Before now I *was* assuming you were an
    idiot, however I now know it *for sure*.

    > Since this contributes nothing to the original discussion .... *plonk*

    Wow. Point out the correct answer, politely, and this stooge plonks you
    for it. Real nice. LOL.