ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses - Networking

This is a discussion on ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses - Networking ; I found this quote in the newsgroup while I was reading up on ethernet bonding: "Most of the servers I am familar with two ethernet ports are designed to have one used as a backup, as they are both connected ...

  1. ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses

    I found this quote in the newsgroup while I was reading up on ethernet
    bonding:

    "Most of the servers I am familar with two ethernet ports are designed
    to have one used as a backup, as they are both connected to the same
    bus. None of them had sufficent bus bandwith to actually drive two
    gigabit ethernets anywhere near full capacity. Indeed, depending on
    what else was on the bus the performance may be less than one gigabit
    interface. " (Frank Stutzman )

    What's the way to check if my twin NICs are on the same / different busses?

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses

    Rahul wrote:
    > I found this quote in the newsgroup while I was reading up on ethernet
    > bonding:
    >
    > "Most of the servers I am familar with two ethernet ports are designed
    > to have one used as a backup, as they are both connected to the same
    > bus. None of them had sufficent bus bandwith to actually drive two
    > gigabit ethernets anywhere near full capacity. Indeed, depending on
    > what else was on the bus the performance may be less than one gigabit
    > interface. " (Frank Stutzman )
    >
    > What's the way to check if my twin NICs are on the same / different busses?

    You might run

    lspci -v

    as root. Here is mine for my 3 NIC's.

    03:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 50
    Memory at fc200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [e4] PCI-X non-bridge device
    Capabilities: [f0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0
    Enable-

    03:02.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 58
    Memory at fc220000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at 3040 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [e4] PCI-X non-bridge device
    Capabilities: [f0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0
    Enable-

    05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro
    100 (rev 08)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation EtherExpress PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    Memory at fc400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]
    Memory at fc500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at f8800000 [disabled] [size=1M]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

    The first two are on PCI-X bus 03 (a two-channel chip) and the last one is
    on PCI-X bus 05 (a single card with only one network interface).

    ^^-^^ 12:20:01 up 15 days, 18:26, 4 users, load average: 4.79, 4.63, 4.58

  3. Re: ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses

    Jean-David Beyer wrote in

    > You might run
    >
    > lspci -v
    >
    > as root. Here is mine for my 3 NIC's.
    >
    > The first two are on PCI-X bus 03 (a two-channel chip) and the last
    > one is on PCI-X bus 05 (a single card with only one network
    > interface).

    Thanks Jean! I think I'll run that and figure things out.

    --
    Rahul

  4. Re: ethernet bonding: are my twon NICs on the same or different busses

    In comp.os.linux.networking Rahul wrote:
    > I found this quote in the newsgroup while I was reading up on ethernet
    > bonding:

    > "Most of the servers I am familar with two ethernet ports are designed
    > to have one used as a backup, as they are both connected to the same
    > bus. None of them had sufficent bus bandwith to actually drive two
    > gigabit ethernets anywhere near full capacity. Indeed, depending on
    > what else was on the bus the performance may be less than one gigabit
    > interface. " (Frank Stutzman )

    Someone else has already pointed-out the lspci stuff so instead I'll
    say:

    At one point that assertion was probably true, however I suspect that
    if that assertion has not already aged beyond accuracy for some
    definition of "current hardware," it will shortly. Virtually every
    dual-port GbE interface with which I am familiar has a bus interface
    capable of driving both ports simultaneously at or near to capacity.

    Then, perhaps I live in a different context from Frank Stutzman.

    rick jones