no SMART_HOST - Networking

This is a discussion on no SMART_HOST - Networking ; I recently migrated from Fedora to CentOs and forgot to configure SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc. I discovered this after my ISP cut off my internet access because they say I was sending spam. Would the lack of a SMART_HOST make ordinary ...

  1. no SMART_HOST

    I recently migrated from Fedora to CentOs and forgot to configure
    SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc. I discovered this after my ISP cut off
    my internet access because they say I was sending spam. Would the
    lack of a SMART_HOST make ordinary mail look like spam to an ISP?
    How come outgoing e-mail worked at all?

  2. Re: no SMART_HOST

    On Aug 20, 1:46*pm, Bob Tennent wrote:

    > I recently migrated from Fedora to CentOs and forgot to configure
    > SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc. *I discovered this after my ISP cut off
    > my internet access because they say I was sending spam. *Would the
    > lack of a SMART_HOST make ordinary mail look like spam to an ISP?
    > How come outgoing e-mail worked at all?

    Are you sure they said you were sending spam? If so, ask them for a
    copy of the spam so you can investigate.

    Most likely, what they were really complaining about was that you were
    running a mail server and you weren't supposed to be.

    Outgoing e-mail worked because you delivered it, which you're not
    supposed to do unless you're running a mail server.

    DS

  3. Re: no SMART_HOST

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:46:35 -0700 (PDT), David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 1:46*pm, Bob Tennent wrote:
    >
    >> I recently migrated from Fedora to CentOs and forgot to configure
    >> SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc. *I discovered this after my ISP cut off
    >> my internet access because they say I was sending spam. *Would the
    >> lack of a SMART_HOST make ordinary mail look like spam to an ISP?
    >> How come outgoing e-mail worked at all?

    > Are you sure they said you were sending spam? If so, ask them for a
    > copy of the spam so you can investigate.

    I finally got around to reading mail to root and I now see what
    happened: the outgoing mail was mostly rejected by the destination sites
    and returned, no doubt with a nasty complaint to the ISP. Mea culpa.

    Bob T.

  4. Re: no SMART_HOST

    On 2008-08-20, Bob Tennent wrote:

    > I recently migrated from Fedora to CentOs and forgot to configure
    > SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc. I discovered this after my ISP cut off
    > my internet access because they say I was sending spam. Would the
    > lack of a SMART_HOST make ordinary mail look like spam to an ISP?

    Many ISPs automatically flag inbound mail arriving directly from dynamic
    IP addresses as spam.

    > How come outgoing e-mail worked at all?

    Your ISP doesn't block outbound port 25 from dynamic IP addresses.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)