VLAN needed ? - Networking

This is a discussion on VLAN needed ? - Networking ; Hi, I am using a Vigor 2950 and I tried to control my bandwigth I put a limitation and gave a priority for my Voip system. I have ONE ADSL I discovered, that if somebody is downloading something on our ...

  1. VLAN needed ?

    Hi,

    I am using a Vigor 2950 and I tried to control my bandwigth
    I put a limitation and gave a priority for my Voip system.
    I have ONE ADSL

    I discovered, that if somebody is downloading something on our website,
    the communication became really poor.

    I check the download speed and it's not so fast, that should be able to
    manage the Voip at the same time

    - I wonder if VLAN would solve the prroblem ?
    - Any idea ?

    PS: Prefer to ask, because I tried to do it, but if something goes
    wrong, impossible to access the device anymore :-( I have a VOIP phone,
    I put another VLAN, since this time, I cannot access it's webpage
    My Vista desktop is not on the same VLAN
    Do you know how I could setup this easily ? ( If needed..)

    thanks

  2. Re: VLAN needed ?

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:49:30 +0100, Steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using a Vigor 2950 and I tried to control my bandwigth
    > I put a limitation and gave a priority for my Voip system.
    > I have ONE ADSL
    >
    > I discovered, that if somebody is downloading something on our website,
    > the communication became really poor.
    >
    > I check the download speed and it's not so fast, that should be able to
    > manage the Voip at the same time
    >
    > - I wonder if VLAN would solve the prroblem ?

    No.

    The issue is almost certainly that the "download" is saturating the
    upstream of your connection. You need to throttle that connection so as
    to leave enough bandwidth for your phones.

    If the web server is Windows, I don't know what the solution might be.
    If it's Linux, tc would fit the bill
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/