.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv - Networking

This is a discussion on .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv - Networking ; Hi, can any one give an example for configuring .rhosts file so that i can allow some trusted computers in my LAN to access my ubuntu 8.04 machine via telnet,ssh without having to enter password BTW there is no /etc/hosts.equiv ...

  1. .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv

    Hi,

    can any one give an example for configuring .rhosts file so that
    i can allow some trusted computers in my LAN to access my ubuntu 8.04
    machine via telnet,ssh without having to enter password

    BTW there is no /etc/hosts.equiv file in my machine, so will i have to
    create it ...????

  2. Re: .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:42:58 -0700 (PDT), aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can any one give an example for configuring .rhosts file so that

    Easy enough, FQDN space user name per line or ip_addy user name.

    $ cat ~/.rhosts
    wb.home.invalid bittwister

    Be sure to chmod 600 ~/.rhosts

  3. Re: .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv

    aarklon@gmail.com writes:

    >Hi,

    >can any one give an example for configuring .rhosts file so that
    >i can allow some trusted computers in my LAN to access my ubuntu 8.04
    >machine via telnet,ssh without having to enter password

    It is a bad idea to use telnet. Too many systems have had passwords stolen.
    That the remote computers (or local computers) are trusted is irrelevant.
    You also have to trust every inch of lan as well.
    On ssh, use the authorized-key mechanism. Place the contents of
    ..ssh/id_rsa/pub into the other computer's .ssh/authorized_keys file to
    allow you to log onto their system without a password. That replaces teh
    notion of .rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv

    >BTW there is no /etc/hosts.equiv file in my machine, so will i have to
    >create it ...????

    Yes, you would have to create it if instead of listening to everyone you
    decided to go that route.

  4. Re: .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv

    Unruh writes:

    > aarklon@gmail.com writes:
    >
    >>Hi,

    >>can any one give an example for configuring .rhosts file so that
    >>i can allow some trusted computers in my LAN to access my ubuntu 8.04
    >>machine via telnet,ssh without having to enter password

    > It is a bad idea to use telnet.

    and rlogin.

    >Too many systems have had passwords stolen.

    If you use rlogin, then anyone on the remote computer can pretend to
    be anyone else on your system.

    In other words, the application on the remote machine says "The user is fred"
    even if it really is joe. Joe can pretend to be fred.

    That's why I use ssh/scp.

  5. Re: .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv

    On Aug 12, 10:42*am, aark...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can any one give an example for configuring .rhosts file so that
    > i can allow some trusted computers in my LAN to access my ubuntu 8.04
    > machine via telnet,ssh without having to enter password
    >
    > BTW there is no /etc/hosts.equiv file in my machine, so will i have to
    > create it ...????

    Many wrote about telnet.

    If you want to log in using SSH, look at
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ssh+without+login

    Regards
    Artur

+ Reply to Thread