Re: What are Window Registry Errors? - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: What are Window Registry Errors? - Networking ; "Cork Soaker" wrote in message news:9C3480E1.6BDD6908@idiot.edu... > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote: >> I got a email telling me I my puter runs too slow so I need to fix my >> "window registry errors." >> >> I went to this website and ...

  1. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >> I got a email telling me I my puter runs too slow so I need to fix my
    >> "window registry errors."
    >>
    >> I went to this website and it fixed 30 'errors' for free. Does anyone
    >> know
    >> what the importance of these "errors" are and what happens if I do or
    >> don't
    >> fix the so-cawled errors?
    >>

    > oligarch!

    > "People say, how can I help on this war against terror?
    > How can I fight evil? You can do so by mentoring a child;
    > by going into a shut-in's house and say I love you."
    >
    > --- Adolph Bush,
    > Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

    I suppose.

  2. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    On Aug 11, 11:27 pm, "WeReo_ScoTTy" wrote:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    > > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > >> I got a email telling me I my puter runs too slow so I need to fix my
    > >> "window registry errors."

    The Windows Registry controls nearly every operational aspect of
    Windows.

    The most common cause of registry errors are applications that have
    been removed. Most vendors are very careful about getting the
    installation correct, but are not so good at making sure that the
    uninstall works correctly. After all, the last thing a software
    vendor wants you to do is remove their software from your computer.
    Even shareware that you haven't registered might be something that you
    show to someone who WILL actually register and pay for the software.

    However there are other settings that can be set or configured either
    from the GUI or from the registry, that can also help speed up your
    computer.

    One of the biggest problems is indexing services. Windows has an
    indexing service that helps you find files more quickly. This isn't
    so bad if you only have a few hundred files on your drive, but with
    200 gigabyte drives the number of files on the drive can go into the
    millions. Turning off the indexing feature can speed up your Windows
    performance significantly. Google desktop also lets you index your
    drive, and autmatically indexes when you add files. You might want to
    turn google deskop off and stop indexing when slow performance is
    unacceptable.

    Much of these indexing problems are actually related to issues with
    the NTFS file system. On Linux, filesystems like ext2 and ext3 sort
    directories automatically, so indexing is faster and easier. In
    addition, directories are separate from the file metadata, so all you
    need to sort/index are the name/inode pairs.

    Other things that can cause delays are the "phone home" functions of
    various components from Windows or Vista itself to various license
    checkers and even spyware. If there is now internet connection, the
    system can "hang" for as long as 15 seconds at a time.

    Many applications also have registry settings for heap size, including
    Windows itself. Letting applications grab huge amounts of memory for
    self-managed heaps made applications run faster on older versions of
    Windows such as NT 4.0, but since Windows 2000 and later have context
    switches that are about 10 times faster, it's better to give most of
    the memory to the system and let it allocate the memory directly.

    You might also want to stop "pre-loaders" for applications you don't
    regularly use. Office, Open Office, and several other large
    applications set up a process that pre-loads all of the DLLs into
    memory and keeps them there even if you aren't actually running the
    application. Office, for example keeps about 20 libraries totaling
    almost 200 megabytes of memory. Lotus Notes 7, Microsoft Office,
    Internet Explorer, and Open Office, all have "quick-start" processes
    that should be turned off if you don't use the application all the
    time.

    This is an issue with how Windows manages memory. Windows has more
    trouble with demand paged virtual memory, and tries to avoid it by
    putting everything in memory immediately. On Linux and Unix, all
    libraries are reentrant and very small. As a result, a common set of
    libraries can be shared more efficiently, and less frequently used
    libraries can be mapped to demand paged memory and swapped out.

    > >> I went to this website and it fixed 30 'errors' for free. Does anyone
    > >> know
    > >> what the importance of these "errors" are and what happens if I do or
    > >> don't
    > >> fix the so-cawled errors?

    Different registry checkers have different things they consider
    "errors". Some of the more ugly registry errors, again caused by
    removing applications include registry settings that try to change the
    location of a library to suit an application. If the application is
    removed, and the library is removed, but the registry points to the
    missing library, you could crash the applications that use it, or even
    Windows itself.

    > > oligarch!

  3. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:27:21 -0400, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    said :

    >>> I went to this website and it fixed 30 'errors' for free. Does anyone
    >>> know
    >>> what the importance of these "errors" are and what happens if I do or
    >>> don't
    >>> fix the so-cawled errors?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registrycleaner.html

    The don't really repair anything, just strip out useless junk. This
    can be useful for example after an uninstall to fully clean out ready
    for a reinstall.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

  4. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    On Aug 12, 4:28*pm, Roedy Green
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:27:21 -0400, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who

    > seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/registrycleaner.html
    >
    > The don't really repair anything, just strip out useless junk. * This
    > can be useful for example after an uninstall to fully clean out ready
    > for a reinstall.
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    I would eliminate windows from your computer
    after you download and burn a linux distro.

    Start with KateOS. Don't worry the number on
    Distro Watch. They making a come back.

    After running Kate OS for 30 min, you will want to kill yourself.
    No more computer problems.

  5. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)

    wrote
    on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
    <3fad3d38-aaf1-4baa-b66f-6993f49e6a83@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Aug 12, 4:28*pm, Roedy Green
    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:27:21 -0400, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    >> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who

    >> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/registrycleaner.html
    >>
    >> The don't really repair anything, just strip out useless junk. * This
    >> can be useful for example after an uninstall to fully clean out ready
    >> for a reinstall.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    >> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    > I would eliminate windows from your computer
    > after you download and burn a linux distro.

    I'm disappointed in you. I thought you *liked* Vista. ;-)

    > Start with KateOS. Don't worry the number on
    > Distro Watch. They making a come back.

    Ah. I think I detect sarcasm here...

    I'm assuming you're referring to
    http://www.kateos.org/

    #96.

    > After running Kate OS for 30 min, you will want to kill yourself.
    > No more computer problems.

    Hah. Try Greenie Linux, where the Documentation is in Polish! :-)

    http://www.greenie.sk/

    (OK, so that's probably actually useful for those in
    Poland, relatives, expatriates, etc. There is also an
    English version: http://www.greenie.sk/en/ .)

    That's #89.

    There's also LFS for DFS (#85). Also perfect for you,
    since you like to misdocument everything; it requires the
    builder to do everything from scratch, unlike those who
    install something like Ubuntu. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  6. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 12, 4:28*pm, Roedy Green
    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:27:21 -0400, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    >> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone

    > who

    > anyone

    > do or

    >> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/registrycleaner.html
    >>
    >> The don't really repair anything, just strip out useless junk. *

    > This
    >> can be useful for example after an uninstall to fully clean out

    > ready
    >> for a reinstall.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    >> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    > I would eliminate windows from your computer
    > after you download and burn a linux distro.
    >
    > Start with KateOS. Don't worry the number on
    > Distro Watch. They making a come back.
    >
    > After running Kate OS for 30 min, you will want to kill yourself.
    > No more computer problems.

    Naw...Kman says Yoper...and since Kman is all knowing omnipotent ruler
    of usenet...well then!
    But I suggest BeOS Max which is much more fun than linux.

    --
    Last night while sitting in my chair
    I pinged a host that wasn't there

  7. Re: What are Window Registry Errors?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, hwf

    wrote
    on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:51:45 -0600
    :
    > Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >> On Aug 12, 4:28*pm, Roedy Green
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:27:21 -0400, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
    >>> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone

    >> who

    >> anyone

    >> do or
    >>>
    >>> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/registrycleaner.html
    >>>
    >>> The don't really repair anything, just strip out useless junk. *

    >> This
    >>> can be useful for example after an uninstall to fully clean out

    >> ready
    >>> for a reinstall.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    >>> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    >> I would eliminate windows from your computer
    >> after you download and burn a linux distro.
    >>
    >> Start with KateOS. Don't worry the number on
    >> Distro Watch. They making a come back.
    >>
    >> After running Kate OS for 30 min, you will want to kill yourself.
    >> No more computer problems.

    > Naw...Kman says Yoper...and since Kman is all knowing omnipotent ruler
    > of usenet...well then!
    > But I suggest BeOS Max which is much more fun than linux.

    Fine as far as it goes, except that I have no idea how
    one gets support from a dead company. ;-)

    Best I can do with Google is beunited.org, which was an
    interesting effort, apparently, working to define and
    promote open applications for the delivery of the Open
    Standards BeOS-compatible operating system (OSBOS).
    Apparently this is now being disbanded, and refers to
    Haiku-OS.

    Haiku-OS is at www.haiku-os.org ; there are some issues
    as they are at least three revs behind GCC compiler-wise,
    but they're apparently at the point where they can run
    BeMail and some simple applications, and take screenshots.

    Linux may have some serious competition. ;-)

    Followups.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable