windows/Linux sharing - Networking

This is a discussion on windows/Linux sharing - Networking ; Hi, in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows machines , without using samba....????...

  1. windows/Linux sharing

    Hi,

    in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from
    windows machines , without using samba....????

  2. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700, aarklon rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows
    > machines , without using samba....????

    ftp?

  3. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700, aarklon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows
    > machines , without using samba....????

    SAMBA is the easiest way, why don't you want to use it?

    You could install Cygwin on your Windows boxes which would allow you to
    rsync files between the Windows boxes and Linux boxes. There is an NFS
    client for Windows also.

  4. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from
    > windows machines , without using samba....????

    I personally like SSH. I have it installed on all my Xubuntu machines
    anyway, and you can use Putty and WinSCP from Windows machines if you
    like. If you want to connect from home, you can create tunnel through
    your router/server. Be sure to limit SSH access to your router/server
    from trusted IP adresses only, as brute-force attacks are alas not uncommon.

    Best regards,
    --
    Willem Bogaerts

    Application smith
    Kratz B.V.
    http://www.kratz.nl/

  5. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    david wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700, aarklon rearranged some electrons to
    > say:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    >> machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows
    >> machines , without using samba....????

    > ftp?

    AFAIK Windows has had support for NFS for a while. You have to dig
    around to find it though. Depends on the version of Windows.

  6. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from
    > windows machines , without using samba....????

    You should virtualise your windummy PCs using VirtualBox.
    VirtualBox can run windummy XP OSen 2x to 4x faster than
    a real PC if you have a dual core or quad core machine
    Linux machine.
    So you could run all your windummy PCs virtualised in one or
    two quad core Linux PCs.

    For file transfer use Winscp - it looks similar to explorer with two windows
    to copy files from one to the other.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/winscp/

    No samba - 128 bit encryption so you can also use it over the real internet
    from one machine to another.

    Also Works from within VirtualBox running windummy osen to connect
    from windummy virtual PC to the real PC.

  7. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On 2008-08-08, aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from
    > windows machines , without using samba....????

    scp?

    http://winscp.sourceforge.net

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  8. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On 2008-08-08, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > AFAIK Windows has had support for NFS for a while. You have to dig
    > around to find it though. Depends on the version of Windows.

    Yes: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/i.../bb380242.aspx

    Doesn't work in Vista, though:

    System Requirements

    * Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Service
    Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

    * The minimum system requirements for installing Windows Services
    for UNIX depends on which components you are installing and the file
    system of the disk where the components will be installed.

    * The maximum disk space required to install all Windows Services
    for UNIX components is approximately 275 MB. The minimum disk space
    required is 19 MB.

    Note: The product will not install on Windows 9x or Windows XP Home
    Edition or Windows Vista.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  9. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    7 wrote:
    > aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    >> machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from
    >> windows machines , without using samba....????

    > You should virtualise your windummy PCs using VirtualBox.
    > VirtualBox can run windummy XP OSen 2x to 4x faster than
    > a real PC if you have a dual core or quad core machine
    > Linux machine.

    You *know* this is completely illogical, right?

  10. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700, aarklon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows
    > machines , without using samba....????

    One way would be with ftp - you may need to install the free Unix Tools
    from MS.

  11. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2008-08-08, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> AFAIK Windows has had support for NFS for a while. You have to dig
    >> around to find it though. Depends on the version of Windows.

    > Yes: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/i.../bb380242.aspx
    >
    > Doesn't work in Vista, though:
    >
    > System Requirements
    >
    > * Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Service
    > Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP
    >
    > * The minimum system requirements for installing Windows Services
    > for UNIX depends on which components you are installing and the file
    > system of the disk where the components will be installed.
    >
    > * The maximum disk space required to install all Windows Services
    > for UNIX components is approximately 275 MB. The minimum disk space
    > required is 19 MB.
    >
    > Note: The product will not install on Windows 9x or Windows XP Home
    > Edition or Windows Vista.

    Windows Vista has built-in support. You have to go into the Control
    Panel and "extras" or "add-ons" or some such nonsense. But it's
    definitely there, just well hidden.

  12. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On 2008-08-09, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> Doesn't work in Vista, though:
    >>
    >> System Requirements
    >>
    >> Note: The product will not install on Windows 9x or Windows XP Home
    >> Edition or Windows Vista.

    > Windows Vista has built-in support. You have to go into the Control
    > Panel and "extras" or "add-ons" or some such nonsense. But it's
    > definitely there, just well hidden.

    Not in Vista Home Premium, as far as I can tell.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  13. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >> aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    >>> machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from
    >>> windows machines , without using samba....????

    >> You should virtualise your windummy PCs using VirtualBox.
    >> VirtualBox can run windummy XP OSen 2x to 4x faster than
    >> a real PC if you have a dual core or quad core machine
    >> Linux machine.

    > You *know* this is completely illogical, right?

    Nothin to stop you doing it and then say whatever
    you want.

    I think the increase in speed reason is that a lot of the memory calls
    and disk calls must be intercepted and processed a
    lot more quickly by Linux and virtualisation software
    causing it to run faster than a real WINDUMMY PC which just
    thrashes HDs for its own fun while you are forced to wait.

    Videos and music play in virtual mode better and jitter free.

    For games, you are just gonna have to wait until virtualisation
    support for X is upgraded to include hardware video acceleration
    of virtual PCs . The software is in alpha stage last time I looked.

  14. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2008-08-09, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >>> Doesn't work in Vista, though:
    >>>
    >>> System Requirements
    >>>
    >>> Note: The product will not install on Windows 9x or Windows XP Home
    >>> Edition or Windows Vista.

    >> Windows Vista has built-in support. You have to go into the Control
    >> Panel and "extras" or "add-ons" or some such nonsense. But it's
    >> definitely there, just well hidden.

    > Not in Vista Home Premium, as far as I can tell.

    Ah, wouldn't know about that, I've only *used* Ultimate.

    Looks like you have to pay a ****load extra just for NFS support!

    IPX isn't there either, I noticed.

  15. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On Aug 8, 5:09*pm, General Schvantzkopf
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700,aarklonwrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    > > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines * * from windows
    > > machines , without using samba....????

    > SAMBA is the easiest way, why don't you want to use it?

    Setting up Samba can be a royal pain, so any time I can use something
    simpler, I jump at the chance. Second, Samba shares aren't secure by
    default. Call me paranoid, but I don't like anything flowing over a
    network that isn't encrypted. Yes, it's possible to tunnel Samba using
    SSH, but that just adds more time and trouble on top of the royal pain
    that Samba sometimes causes. Finally, Samba was designed for LANs, not
    the wild and woolly Internet, so accessing shares remotely is out of
    the question (yes, there are ways to do it, but it's just not a good
    idea on today's Net...and it causes yet more complication!).

  16. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 02:14:12 -0700, aarklon wrote:

    > On Aug 8, 5:09*pm, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700,aarklonwrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    >> > machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines * * from
    >> > windows machines , without using samba....????

    >> SAMBA is the easiest way, why don't you want to use it?

    > Setting up Samba can be a royal pain, so any time I can use something
    > simpler, I jump at the chance. Second, Samba shares aren't secure by
    > default. Call me paranoid, but I don't like anything flowing over a
    > network that isn't encrypted. Yes, it's possible to tunnel Samba using
    > SSH, but that just adds more time and trouble on top of the royal pain
    > that Samba sometimes causes. Finally, Samba was designed for LANs, not
    > the wild and woolly Internet, so accessing shares remotely is out of the
    > question (yes, there are ways to do it, but it's just not a good idea on
    > today's Net...and it causes yet more complication!).

    If most of your systems are Linux then your solution is to make all of
    them Linux. Put Windows VMs on top of Linux which will allow your Windows
    users to run the programs that they need. The VMs can access Linux
    directories so you can do all of your networked file sharing Linux to
    Linux. VirtualBox (free) can directly mount a Linux directory as a Windows
    disk as can VMWare Workstation (not free). VMware Server (free) uses SAMBA
    to access Linux directories, however you can use a private subnet or a
    host only subnet which takes care of your security concerns). There are
    lots of advantages to using VMs instead of native Windows. When you run
    VMs you can use Linux and Windows applications simultaneously, you can
    even cut and paste between Linux and Windows applications. It will allow
    your Windows users to access the Internet from Linux rather than Windows
    which will greatly enhance security. You can also backup their Windows
    environments by simply copying the VM directories. Rolling out the VMs is
    also easy. You can create a single Windows VM and then copy it to every
    system that needs Windows. If a Windows VM gets infected with a virus you
    can just replace it with a copy so you can be back in business in minutes.
    Also if you don't allow the Windows VMs to access the Internet, which you
    could do by putting them on a subnet that doesn't have an Internet
    gateway, they will never get infected at all.

  17. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 07:11:30 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > Also if you don't allow
    > the Windows VMs to access the Internet, which you could do by putting
    > them on a subnet that doesn't have an Internet gateway, they will never
    > get infected at all.

    I'm really liking this idea...nice one

  18. Re: windows/Linux sharing

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Cork Soaker

    wrote
    on Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:03:44 GMT
    <35760W12546247@66.226.129.63>:
    > david wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 04:31:47 -0700, aarklon rearranged some electrons to
    >> say:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> in my office there are lot of ubuntu machines and a few windows
    >>> machines, now how to access data in the Linux machines from windows
    >>> machines , without using samba....????

    >> ftp?

    > AFAIK Windows has had support for NFS for a while. You have to dig
    > around to find it though. Depends on the routine of Windows.

    Chameleon offered a package at one point; AFAIK they still do.
    A search for 'Chameleon NFS' threw me at some Microfocus payware:

    http://www.microfocus.com/000/Interd...cm21-19033.pdf

    A search for "Windows NFS freeware clients" coughed up this list:

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...fs-client.html

    In a pinch, FTP or HTTP will also work; the main problem is that
    after using either one the user will now have two copies of the
    file (one on the server, one locally). Of course using NFS
    has its own issues as an application reads pages from the file.

    And of course one can use Samba, system administrators permitting.

    [.sigsnip]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.