Mount an NFS share with a password? - Networking

This is a discussion on Mount an NFS share with a password? - Networking ; Can anyone help with this? I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I can not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share. I keep getting "access denied". In fstab, the obvious ...

  1. Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Can anyone help with this?

    I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I can
    not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share.
    I keep getting "access denied".

    In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    work for NFS.

    The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).

    I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?

    TIA

  2. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    On 2008-08-06, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I can
    > not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share.
    > I keep getting "access denied".
    >
    > In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    > work for NFS.
    >
    > The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    > usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).
    >
    > I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?

    I do not think that NFS can provide a password. "man nfs" suggests
    that you can use Kerberos and such for authentication, which is
    doubtfully the case for you. Have you tried calling WD?

    What sort of admin access do you have to that device?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Ignoramus11522 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-06, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Can anyone help with this?
    >>
    >> I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I can
    >> not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share.
    >> I keep getting "access denied".
    >>
    >> In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    >> work for NFS.
    >>
    >> The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    >> usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).
    >>
    >> I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?
    >>

    > I do not think that NFS can provide a password. "man nfs" suggests
    > that you can use Kerberos and such for authentication, which is
    > doubtfully the case for you. Have you tried calling WD?
    >
    > What sort of admin access do you have to that device?

    Aren't they SMB devices, not NFS?

  4. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Mike Scott wrote:
    > Ignoramus11522 wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-06, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Can anyone help with this?
    >>>
    >>> I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I
    >>> can not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the
    >>> share. I keep getting "access denied".
    >>>
    >>> In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    >>> work for NFS.
    >>>
    >>> The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    >>> usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).
    >>>
    >>> I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?
    >>>

    >> I do not think that NFS can provide a password. "man nfs" suggests
    >> that you can use Kerberos and such for authentication, which is
    >> doubtfully the case for you. Have you tried calling WD?

    What do you mean by calling WD?

    I saw the authentication options, maybe I need to use one of them and
    force it to ask me for user details. I guess I'll have to mess about,
    but I'm sure /someone/ must have come across this before. Well, not so
    sure...

    >> What sort of admin access do you have to that device?

    It's fully open access apart from that share. Maybe the password only
    works for SMB shares not NFS.

    There's a simple user/pass to get into the web config page, but there's
    not much I can do there except change the password. The password works
    under SMB (but I can't use SMB).

    > Aren't they SMB devices, not NFS?

    They're both. The Netcenters run on Linux.
    I had major problems with SMB, which is why I wanted to swap over to NFS.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....51759b?lnk=gst
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/6yg8g5

    There's only one Windows machine left on the network and it can access
    the SMB share no problem, but my PC just refused to do as it was told,
    as you can see from that previous post.

  5. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I can
    > not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share.
    > I keep getting "access denied".
    >
    > In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    > work for NFS.
    >
    > The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    > usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).
    >
    > I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?
    >
    > TIA

    My suspicion is the WD Netcenter expects only Macs to access it via NFS.
    Historically there was never much security on NFS anyway, but if there
    is on the WD Netcenter it is probably Mac oriented. I've never used a
    Mac with NFS, so I don't know how Mac/NFS security is supposed to work,
    or what to do from a PC to make it seem like a Mac to an NFS server, but
    there may be some joy in googling for how it's done, if it is at all.

    There may be some clues here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...32#post4387032

    --
    JimP

  6. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected,

    No such thing with NFS. Access is controlled by /etc/exports
    and /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny ON THE SEVER END...

    > but I can
    > not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share.
    > I keep getting "access denied".
    >
    > In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    > work for NFS.

    No such mount option for NFS... See: man mount

    > The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    > usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).
    >
    > I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?
    >
    > TIA

    Ask for help from one of the support desk personell at the server location.
    You need an NFS primer and quick...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  7. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    On Aug 6, 4:17 pm, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > I have an NFS share server:/share that is password protected, but I can
    > not find the appropriate mount option to pass the password to the share.
    > I keep getting "access denied".
    >
    > In fstab, the obvious option would be pass=password, but this doesn't
    > work for NFS.
    >
    > The "server" is a WD Netcenter NAS device, it does not have any
    > usernames nor the ability to set them up (to my knowledge).
    >
    > I've Googled myself into a black hole, can anyone help?
    >
    > TIA

    -I will tell some thing may you or any other friend find useful in
    situations like when sharing is needed. You can mount any part of your
    hard disk remotely even across the Internet securely using the SSHD
    daemon without the need of NFS or SMB, Just the SSHD daemon and I
    tried this before, It was very simple and nice, You can export the
    whole hard disk if you have access to the root account, So the remote
    file system will be mounted locally like when you do with NFS or SMB.
    Really using the whole capabilities of SSH daemon may make your life
    easier and more secure, As you can do many things using only this
    daemon beside some times using some other utilities beside it, Just
    google it and you will find how to do this easily.
    Regards,

  8. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    On 2008-08-06, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Mike Scott wrote:
    >> Ignoramus11522 wrote:

    >>> I do not think that NFS can provide a password. "man nfs" suggests
    >>> that you can use Kerberos and such for authentication, which is
    >>> doubtfully the case for you. Have you tried calling WD?

    > What do you mean by calling WD?

    on the phone

    > I saw the authentication options, maybe I need to use one of them and
    > force it to ask me for user details. I guess I'll have to mess about,
    > but I'm sure /someone/ must have come across this before. Well, not so
    > sure...

    NFS is usually host based. See if your NAS admin interface offers you
    an opinion to allow certain IPs.

    Also post a command you do to NFS mount

    >>> What sort of admin access do you have to that device?

    > It's fully open access apart from that share. Maybe the password only
    > works for SMB shares not NFS.

    Probably

    > There's a simple user/pass to get into the web config page, but there's
    > not much I can do there except change the password. The password works
    > under SMB (but I can't use SMB).

    NFS is much better than Samba, so I think that it is good to try to
    make it work. I use NFS at home where possible.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Ignoramus14891 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-06, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Mike Scott wrote:

    >> What do you mean by calling WD?

    > on the phone

    Oh right, yeah. :-P
    No, I haven't spoke to them. I've had the thing a couple of years (I
    think), it's probably out of it's support period.

    >> I saw the authentication options, maybe I need to use one of them and
    >> force it to ask me for user details. I guess I'll have to mess about,
    >> but I'm sure /someone/ must have come across this before. Well, not so
    >> sure...

    > NFS is usually host based. See if your NAS admin interface offers you
    > an opinion to allow certain IPs.

    Nah it doesn't, sadly. There's only been one firmware update since I
    bought it, and I don't know what changes it made.
    I certainly don't have the skill to mess with any code.

    > Also post a command you do to NFS mount

    server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1 nfs rw,user,auto

    Obviously, this doesn't work as there is a password on the share. Other
    shares that don't have passwords, work fine.

    I've switched back to SMB for now, out of current lack of choice.

    //server1/share1 /media/share1 smbfs
    rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,use r,auto,pass=password,nounix
    0 0

    >> It's fully open access apart from that share. Maybe the password only
    >> works for SMB shares not NFS.

    > Probably
    >
    >> There's a simple user/pass to get into the web config page, but there's
    >> not much I can do there except change the password. The password works
    >> under SMB (but I can't use SMB).

    > NFS is much better than Samba, so I think that it is good to try to
    > make it work. I use NFS at home where possible.

    Yes I have noticed that. I'm still a n00b of course, but I've moved all
    the Linux machines to NFS, ignoring Samba were possible.
    We've only got one Windows machine left here now, the rest now run
    Ubuntu (except the embedded stuff that runs... dunno.)

  10. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.]

    On 2008-08-07, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Also post a command you do to NFS mount

    > server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1 nfs rw,user,auto

    That's not really a command, it's an fstab entry. For troubleshooting
    you should actually issue a mount command from the command line, e.g.

    mount -t nfs server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1

    You should do this as root. If you want a user to be able to initiate
    an NFS mount, you should probably use autofs instead of the user option
    in fstab.

    > Obviously, this doesn't work as there is a password on the share.

    NFS (v3, at least) doesn't support passwords, as has already been
    mentioned. The problem is likely elsewhere; normally you'd check the
    logs on the server, but it's not clear that you have access to them.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  11. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.]
    >
    > On 2008-08-07, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Also post a command you do to NFS mount

    >> server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1 nfs rw,user,auto

    > That's not really a command, it's an fstab entry. For troubleshooting
    > you should actually issue a mount command from the command line, e.g.
    >
    > mount -t nfs server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1

    I've tried all that, same effect.

    > You should do this as root. If you want a user to be able to initiate
    > an NFS mount, you should probably use autofs instead of the user option
    > in fstab.

    A quick Google says you're right. I'll change my fstab now. :-)

    >> Obviously, this doesn't work as there is a password on the share.

    > NFS (v3, at least) doesn't support passwords, as has already been
    > mentioned. The problem is likely elsewhere; normally you'd check the
    > logs on the server, but it's not clear that you have access to them.

    It's an embedded device, the only logs available are the results from
    SMART and data integrity testing.

    If NFS doesn't support it, I'll just have to give up on it and stick
    with SMB for that one share. It's not as much a pain as it was on the
    other share I mentioned previously. Oh well.

    > --keith

    Thanks everyone for your help.

  12. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    On 2008-08-07, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Ignoramus14891 wrote:

    >>> What do you mean by calling WD?

    >> on the phone

    > Oh right, yeah. :-P
    > No, I haven't spoke to them. I've had the thing a couple of years (I
    > think), it's probably out of it's support period.
    >

    >>> I saw the authentication options, maybe I need to use one of them and
    >>> force it to ask me for user details. I guess I'll have to mess about,
    >>> but I'm sure /someone/ must have come across this before. Well, not so
    >>> sure...

    >> NFS is usually host based. See if your NAS admin interface offers you
    >> an opinion to allow certain IPs.

    > Nah it doesn't, sadly. There's only been one firmware update since I
    > bought it, and I don't know what changes it made.
    > I certainly don't have the skill to mess with any code.
    >

    >> Also post a command you do to NFS mount

    > server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1 nfs rw,user,auto
    >
    > Obviously, this doesn't work as there is a password on the share. Other
    > shares that don't have passwords, work fine.

    What made you believe that it is the right way to mount it? Do you
    have documentation from Western Digital? Did they say use
    /shares/Main/share1?

    > I've switched back to SMB for now, out of current lack of choice.
    >
    > //server1/share1 /media/share1 smbfs
    > rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,use r,auto,pass=password,nounix
    > 0 0

    >>> It's fully open access apart from that share. Maybe the password only
    >>> works for SMB shares not NFS.

    >> Probably
    >>
    >>> There's a simple user/pass to get into the web config page, but there's
    >>> not much I can do there except change the password. The password works
    >>> under SMB (but I can't use SMB).

    >> NFS is much better than Samba, so I think that it is good to try to
    >> make it work. I use NFS at home where possible.

    > Yes I have noticed that. I'm still a n00b of course, but I've moved all
    > the Linux machines to NFS, ignoring Samba were possible.
    > We've only got one Windows machine left here now, the rest now run
    > Ubuntu (except the embedded stuff that runs... dunno.)

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Mount an NFS share with a password?

    Ignoramus32753 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-07, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Ignoramus14891 wrote:

    >>> on the phone

    >> Oh right, yeah. :-P
    >> No, I haven't spoke to them. I've had the thing a couple of years (I
    >> think), it's probably out of it's support period.

    >>> NFS is usually host based. See if your NAS admin interface offers you
    >>> an opinion to allow certain IPs.

    >> Nah it doesn't, sadly. There's only been one firmware update since I
    >> bought it, and I don't know what changes it made.
    >> I certainly don't have the skill to mess with any code.
    >>
    >>> Also post a command you do to NFS mount

    >> server1:/shares/Main/share1 /media/share1 nfs rw,user,auto
    >>
    >> Obviously, this doesn't work as there is a password on the share. Other
    >> shares that don't have passwords, work fine.

    > What made you believe that it is the right way to mount it? Do you
    > have documentation from Western Digital? Did they say use
    > /shares/Main/share1?

    Googled it. This is the correct way to mount as I have other shares
    mounted on NFS without passwords.

    I believe it's the file structure on the box.

    >> I've switched back to SMB for now, out of current lack of choice.
    >>
    >> //server1/share1 /media/share1 smbfs
    >> rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,use r,auto,pass=password,nounix
    >> 0 0

    >>> Probably

    >>> NFS is much better than Samba, so I think that it is good to try to
    >>> make it work. I use NFS at home where possible.

    >> Yes I have noticed that. I'm still a n00b of course, but I've moved all
    >> the Linux machines to NFS, ignoring Samba were possible.
    >> We've only got one Windows machine left here now, the rest now run
    >> Ubuntu (except the embedded stuff that runs... dunno.)

+ Reply to Thread