avaih daemon ports - Networking

This is a discussion on avaih daemon ports - Networking ; I'm running linux (Kubuntu 7.04) and my PC network has been work fine until today. Today, my internet access broke. I checked ifconfig and found that my ethernet port eth0 is running avahi-deamon and the address is 169.254.6.95. Before today, ...

  1. avaih daemon ports

    I'm running linux (Kubuntu 7.04) and my PC network has been work
    fine until today. Today, my internet access broke. I checked
    ifconfig and found that my ethernet port eth0 is running avahi-deamon
    and the address is 169.254.6.95. Before today, as far as I know
    the IP address assigned by dhcp was 192.168.2.100.

    I checked my router and legal ports on my LAN are 192.168.2.100
    through 192.168.2.149. To get my network working again it would
    seem that I would have to configure avahi-daemon to assign a
    port in the same range that the router is using. I have taken
    a quick look at the avahi documentation, but I have not figured
    out how to set the range.

    Does anyone know if I can configure avahi to a fixed range, and
    if so, how can I do that?

    Thank you in advance.

    Jim Anderson

  2. Re: avaih daemon ports

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:38:26 -0400, Jim Aanderson wrote:

    > I'm running linux (Kubuntu 7.04) and my PC network has been work
    > fine until today. Today, my internet access broke. I checked
    > ifconfig and found that my ethernet port eth0 is running avahi-deamon
    > and the address is 169.254.6.95. Before today, as far as I know
    > the IP address assigned by dhcp was 192.168.2.100.

    You should be able to disable the avahi-deamon and still connect
    to the router. You can use dhcp or set your nic as static.

    My modem/router does dhcp assignments. I chose to set my desktop as
    static (192.168.1.131), dns servers are set to opendns servers
    (208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220) and have no network problems.

    That way if black hats crack my router, I know I will still have valid
    DNS servers and my lan ip addy does not change when the router is dinked up.

  3. Re: avaih daemon ports

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <48974c9e$0$19691$cd3e3bf6@news.enter.net>, Jim Aanderson wrote:

    >I'm running linux (Kubuntu 7.04) and my PC network has been work
    >fine until today. Today, my internet access broke. I checked
    >ifconfig and found that my ethernet port eth0 is running avahi-deamon
    >and the address is 169.254.6.95. Before today, as far as I know
    >the IP address assigned by dhcp was 192.168.2.100.

    Some confusion there. You used to have an address of 192.168.2.100
    which was assigned by the DHCP server on your router. When you
    booted up this time, your system was unable to contact the DHCP
    server for some reason. So, your system is defaulting to a windoze
    mode, and reaching up it's @$$ and grabbing some random address out
    of the range 169.254.x.x. This service is called 'LinkLocal' or
    'ZeroConf' and is meant to allow your system to talk locally only.

    >I checked my router and legal ports on my LAN are 192.168.2.100
    >through 192.168.2.149. To get my network working again it would
    >seem that I would have to configure avahi-daemon to assign a
    >port in the same range that the router is using.

    No - avahi is a free implementation of the deprecated Apple 'Multicast
    DNS'. It has nothing to do with _assigning_ IP addresses. You have
    got to find out why DHCP isn't working. This could be a hardware
    failure, an unplugged cable, or a firewall setup. It could also be
    something else that you've changed.

    >I have taken a quick look at the avahi documentation, but I have not
    >figured out how to set the range.

    That's because it has nothing to do with this problem. 'avahi' is a
    means of attempting to resolve hostnames _LOCALLY_ by sending a
    broadcast to address 224.0.0.251 or its IPv6 equivalent FF02::FB
    port 5353/udp asking "who is my_banks_computer" and accepting any
    skript kiddiez reply that "my_banks_computer" is at 169.254.33.44.
    It's a security hole, but that's only the case when you can't
    connect to a real name server - like now.

    >Does anyone know if I can configure avahi to a fixed range, and
    >if so, how can I do that?

    Find out why your DHCP connection isn't working. You _may_ be able
    to set your computer to a _fixed_ address by editing the file
    /etc/network/interfaces - perhaps to something like

    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.2.101
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.2.0
    broadcast 192.168.2.255
    gateway 192.168.2.1

    but your router may not like talking to addresses it didn't assign.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread