New Comcast acct. registration on Linux? - Networking

This is a discussion on New Comcast acct. registration on Linux? - Networking ; I will probably need to move a family member's home network from DSL to Comcast cable very soon. Since their home network is based around a linux router/firewall and since I've seen many posts concerning the problem of Comcast activation ...

  1. New Comcast acct. registration on Linux?

    I will probably need to move a family member's home network from DSL to
    Comcast cable very soon. Since their home network is based around a
    linux router/firewall and since I've seen many posts concerning the
    problem of Comcast activation and Linux, I want to ask the group what to
    expect and what to do. The system is in the Atlanta area. It's a dual
    NIC Mandriva Linux OS system. There is no Windows partition on it, so if
    it's at all possible I'd like to know how to complete the registration
    process using only Linux and Firefox. Moving the wan interface NIC to a
    Windows box temporarily -or doing some other trick- is possible, but the
    idea really irritates me.

    I understand from reading earlier posts on the subject that until the
    modem is registered, there is no access to networks outside of own
    Comcast's servers. To register and activate the account, certain Comcast
    urls must be set as proxy servers. DHCP must be running, and Comcast DNS
    addresses should be used. The registration site URL I've found in my
    google searches (sas.ne1.attbb.net) looks old and probably incorrect for
    my region.

    I have a couple of Comcast DNS addresses (204.127.202.19 &
    216.148.227.79) but this information is now 5 years old. I understand I
    will need to upload the MAC address of the Comcast cable modem to their
    web registration page, plus I'll need to set the system hostname to
    whatever Comcast allocates me as my dhcp hostname. Or something like
    that... DHCP (client) is installed on the system already although the
    system functions as a DHCP server for the local network, and BIND is
    also (if that is useful at any point)

    Has anyone done this with Comcast and Linux, and know what the currently
    correct, necessary information is?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: New Comcast acct. registration on Linux?

    If you know somebody that has a windoz laptop, maybe you can set it up.
    Then use the Mac adder in your Linux config. Maybe??
    I had Linux running on Comcast till they broke the dhcp code. Never could
    get Linux dhcp to work after that. But have a Linksys router/gateway working
    good now.

    "hazzmat" wrote in message
    >I will probably need to move a family member's home network from DSL to
    >Comcast cable very soon. Since their home network is based around a linux
    >router/firewall and since I've seen many posts concerning the problem of
    >Comcast activation and Linux, I want to ask the group what to expect and
    >what to do. The system is in the Atlanta area. It's a dual NIC Mandriva
    >Linux OS system. There is no Windows partition on it, so if it's at all
    >possible I'd like to know how to complete the registration process using
    >only Linux and Firefox. Moving the wan interface NIC to a Windows box
    >temporarily -or doing some other trick- is possible, but the idea really
    >irritates me.
    >
    > I understand from reading earlier posts on the subject that until the
    > modem is registered, there is no access to networks outside of own
    > Comcast's servers. To register and activate the account, certain Comcast
    > urls must be set as proxy servers. DHCP must be running, and Comcast DNS
    > addresses should be used. The registration site URL I've found in my
    > google searches (sas.ne1.attbb.net) looks old and probably incorrect for
    > my region.
    >
    > I have a couple of Comcast DNS addresses (204.127.202.19 & 216.148.227.79)
    > but this information is now 5 years old. I understand I will need to
    > upload the MAC address of the Comcast cable modem to their web
    > registration page, plus I'll need to set the system hostname to whatever
    > Comcast allocates me as my dhcp hostname. Or something like that... DHCP
    > (client) is installed on the system already although the system functions
    > as a DHCP server for the local network, and BIND is also (if that is
    > useful at any point)
    >
    > Has anyone done this with Comcast and Linux, and know what the currently
    > correct, necessary information is?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread